Battlestar Galactica Forums

ABC (ended 1979)

Watching the original series for the first time since it aired

raresaturn

[1]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 1

I just got the DVD boxset and I'm going through the series. Wow, it really does stand the test of time. There are a couple of things that stand out for me: 1. The scripts are really good, I'm not talking about the stories themselves but the dialogue is really sharp! Much better writing that anything on TV today. 2. I can't believe how much was borrowed by George Lucas, especially for Empire Strikes Back! I'm going to go back and make a list. 3. Muffy is played by a chimp! Wow I never would have picked that, but it's brilliant. 4. the ship models are still great, especially the Vipers.

Can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 17
    I've always enjoyed this show as well and definitely prefer it to the new version.

TylwythTeg

[3]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 6

Never knew this series existed till about 3 years ago. Coming out in the late 70s it was before my time. I got to watching it with my bother after he found it on-line on Hulu. It's become one of my favorites. I really like the cast, and the setting. It was a great show, especially after The Living Legend eps on. I was sorry it got cut over network politics, that oddly seems to be the curse of most shoes I really like. In any case, I think BSG stands the test of time. It's a classic, even for people like me who didn't grow up watching it.

pferreira86

[4]Nov 6, 2011

Yeah, I know what you mean. The series came out years after I was born and I didn't start watching it until the early 1990s. It was always a great show and with the stories they came out with towards the end of the original series you wonder what else they could have come up with had the network left everything the same and not made Galactica 1980.

TylwythTeg

[6]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 6

pferreira86 wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. The series came out years after I was born and I didn't start watching it until the early 1990s. It was always a great show and with the stories they came out with towards the end of the original series you wonder what else they could have come up with had the network left everything the same and not made Galactica 1980.

After seeing a run-through clip on youtube of Galactica 1980 I had decided to officially boycott it. It's a decision I'm holding firm to. I just feel it's a waste and overall betrayal to the original. Not even the creator or actors count it as canon. lol

On a fansite, I've seen some script ideas about a second season, (after the network decided to re-pick-up the show) which slated things like Sheba dying, Apollo going into depression as a result, and heading in a risky living direction, while Starbuck was going to replace Apollo as the captain, Boomer was going to replace Omega, while Adama focused on rising Boxy. Also rumored that they were going to replace Jansen who played Anthea and bring back the character after an explosion and to explain the switch, saying the accident had disfigured her, and her face was reconstructed. lol All of it sounded pretty radical, I often wonder how true these outlines were. Whatever the case, Richard Hatch didn't like it when he saw it, and refused to be part of it which brought on the whole 1980 joke.

pferreira86

[7]Jan 2, 2012

TylwythTeg wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

After seeing a run-through clip on youtube of Galactica 1980 I had decided to officially boycott it. It's a decision I'm holding firm to. I just feel it's a waste and overall betrayal to the original. Not even the creator or actors count it as canon. lol

On a fansite, I've seen some script ideas about a second season, (after the network decided to re-pick-up the show) which slated things like Sheba dying, Apollo going into depression as a result, and heading in a risky living direction, while Starbuck was going to replace Apollo as the captain, Boomer was going to replace Omega, while Adama focused on rising Boxy. Also rumored that they were going to replace Jansen who played Anthea and bring back the character after an explosion and to explain the switch, saying the accident had disfigured her, and her face was reconstructed. lol All of it sounded pretty radical, I often wonder how true these outlines were. Whatever the case, Richard Hatch didn't like it when he saw it, and refused to be part of it which brought on the whole 1980 joke.

That stuff you mentioned about Anthea was right. It was a way of replacing the actress. Towards the end of the first season Maren Jenson contracted a debilitating disease which meant should wouldn't be able to work on the series. That's why she doesn't appear in the last quarter of the first season.