Battlestar Galactica

Murder on the Rising Star

Aired Sunday 7:00 PM Feb 18, 1979 on ABC

• Starbuck is accused of murdering a rival Triad player, and a regular Whodunnit ensues, shedding some new light on the last hours of Caprica before the Colonies fell.

6.7
    This episode reminds us how painfully small the Galactica cast is, sometimes: it is very difficult to pull off a high-stakes murder mystery when all of our sympathies as an audience are placed so narrowly on the five or six main protagonists.

The story seems contrived and miswritten in several places: the tension all lies in the fact that this particular advanced civilization only allows about 10 hours for people to investigate a high-profile murder case (!); Baltar cuts a deal with Apollo, but the terms of this deal are never really put forth in the episode (off the prison barge, but where is he now? is he trustworthy again? etc. etc.).

The inclusion of Karibdis (Charybdis) and his part in betraying the Cylons is an interesting detail, but the detail is really offered too late in the season (and without what might be a warranted surprise) to really make this episode shine. All in all, a pretty average episode.
  • Interesting... for reasons other than plot. Scenes that resonate in today's world.

7.9
    I enjoyed this episode for it's exploration of the legal system.
    The fact that a Judge (I think that's what the "Sire" who arrested Starbuck was) could go on a talk show and talk about the fact that Starbuck would be found guilty was strange to me. However in a move startlingly prescient, the fact that people would dissect on television what the legal team of a famous defendant was doing was sadly spot on.

Another scene that is probably much more resonant several decades later, is when Boomer & Apollo are in the "computer" room. They're standing in front of these ancient 1970's wall size computer banks and Boomer is talking about how fast technology changes and how complicated the systems are to use. They then use a vocal interface to talk to the computer - again something that was probably not a forseeable development..

And finally, in what is probably a complete coincidence, one of the scenes seemed exactly like one I'd seen before. When the body is first shown, there is nothing more than a hand sticking out of an elevator door that is repeatedly trying to shut. Nearly the same scene appears in a Remington Steele episode (season 1 "In the Steele of the Night") where an old boss of Laura's is found dead with only his stand sticking out of an elevator that is repeatedly trying to close. Maybe the shows shared a cinematographer. Or it's just a cool shot.