Battlestar Galactica

Saga of a Star World (3)

Aired Sunday 7:00 PM Sep 17, 1978 on ABC

• Adama's suspicions are raised by the seemingly perfect conditions on Carillion, and he believes it's all part of a trap, so with Colonel Tigh, comes up with a covert plan to be ready for the suspected attack. Satisfying conclusion to this three-parter...

This review contains minor spoilers.
    Review continued from Part 2.

As I covered in my review for Part 2, by the final third of this episode, a lot of this three-parter / feature-movie feels to have slotted into a standard "mystery planet of the week" plot that could have been a typical, standard episode (but not necessarily in a bad way).

I liked the secret meeting scene between Adama (perfectly played by Lorne Greene) and Colonel Tigh. By the way, for some reason (not having seen the series in MANY years and having forgotten many of the characters) I suspected throughout that Tigh was in fact a traitor, one of the leaks in the system. Dunno why, it was just the way he came across to me; so it was a surprise when this didn't turn out to be the case.

I didn't *fully* comprehend the "using regular crewmen to pose as fighter pilots" ploy, but I'm sure it did make sense really (by the time I was watching this third segment, it was almost 2 in the morning!). Either way, it was fun to watch unfold.

So inevitably, the big showdown breaks out, complete with more dated but adequate special effects work. The final destroying of the Cylon base ship by Apollo and Starbuck is a good end to what has been a decent story.

Of course, there was a changed final scene for this TV version. In the original theatrical version, Baltar had been executed a way before the end; but this TV version finishes with a scene where he is spared, leaving him to become a recurring character in the ensuing series.

Then, right at the very end, the weird robot... "thing", Lucifer, appears. I get what they were going for in terms of design, but its realisation on-screen is unintentionally comical – it actually made me laugh out loud.

So there we have it, the complete 'Saga of a Star World'. To note is that I watched the three-part TV version. Ordinarily I shop around for the best DVD version available (thankfully my DVD players are all region free), so probably would best have gone for the Region 1 version, but due to limited budget at the moment, as well as having an interest in the series but it not being an "all-time favourite" (yet?), I went for the Region 2 version. The more simple R2 version, without the Cylon head case. It still has a number of special features, although when I came to watch 'Saga…', while being labelled up as Episodes 1-3, it was in fact edited into one long story. It still met my needs though (especially as I got the whole set for under £10), and I suppose I could always upgrade at a later time if I felt need.

All-in-all, as I covered in my review for Part 1, I wanted to watch this original version of BSG both before I watched the 2004 remake for the first time, as well as having an interest in both Dirk Benedict, and action / adventure / sci-fi TV of the 1970s & 1980s in general. But I did rather fear it would be terrible; thankfully, while some of the sets and props are indeed very clunky and seem "rushed" in conception, there is a great story here, with a number of interesting concepts that I look forward to seeing continue into the actual TV series. As with Parts 1 and 2, I give this final instalment of 'Saga of a Star World' a decent 9 out of 10.