Battlestar Galactica

The Gun on Ice Planet Zero (1)

Aired Sunday 7:00 PM Oct 22, 1978 on ABC

• How many classic World War II movies do you need to rip off to make one two-part episode of battlestar Galactica?

The writers of Battlestar Galactica must have thought that sci-fi fans had never seen any movies about World War II when they thought this episode up. Borrowing liberally from "The Guns of Navarrone" and "The Dirty Dozen" the writers created a story that sent a group of dangerous prisoners to attack a giant gun that could destroy the colonial fleet.

Of course nothing turns out like it was supposed to. The transport gets shot down before it can reach the landing zone and, in a move probably stolen from a "Speed Racer," Apollo's son Boxy and his robot dog turn out to be stowaways. But in the end, and with a little help from some clones they meet along the way, our heroes overcome the odds and destroy the gun.

Even as a kid I saw through this episode. I'll admit it was ok to watch which is why I didn't totally pan it, but I hate when TV shows steal other peoples' ideas and do a bad job of repackaging them. I declare it a poor copy of several much better movies.