Battlestar Galactica

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 14, 2005 on Syfy

• As the fleet faces Cylon attack every 33 minutes, the crew of Galactica is sleep deprived and most make tough decisions regarding the 45,000 humans left alive.

This episode is the pivotal first episode that brings us right into the world of Galactica! You are right in the moment with the crew of Galactica as they try to fight off the Cylons. The introductions of all the characters for a second time are well-done, and the dilemma with the Olympic Carrier is very interesting. The concept of God is introduced here in the very first episode, and really, the acting is SO good, and the ideas are of human life being so precious really hit home. This episode is a fine example of what BSG can do; make real issues present in a space show. It's why I love BSG. However, this episode has a few major downfalls. The first 20 minutes is nerve-wracking, yes, but can be a bit boring. It isn't incredibly exciting, and the characters aren't doing much in the first 20 minutes. Once the Olympic Carrier is introduced into the story, everything picks up, though. Also, the Caprica story in this episode is incredibly out of place and takes away from the story greatly. I'm caring for what's going on in the fleet, and then we cut back to Helo doing nothing. It's very distracting, and frankly, annoying. I'm giving this episode a 6.5/10, meaning it's a good episode, but not outstanding or really out there. 33 is a B- episode, to me.