Battlestar Galactica

A Day in the Life

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 18, 2007 on Syfy

• A Day in the Life

A Day in the Life was a perfect episode and side story for Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had a lot action, drama, and intrigue. I thought it was great to see President Roslin and her Assistant watching Caprica Six in her cell. I also thought Tyrol and Cally's story line was very engaging and intense. Admiral Adama was dealing with his own past and issues which gave him some more recent depth. This may be considered a filler episode but it was full of good stuff! I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Much better than the last few episodes.

While its hard to maintain the level of intensity of the season premier or even "The Eye Of Jupiter" episodes. The Cylon threat in recent episodes have been rather non existent, almost to the point in which the Humans go on with their daily routines. For Tyrol the everyday routine as being the head mechanic on Galactica seems too boring. While he does use his opportunity to spend some time with Cally. In this instance he not only gets himself into a little trouble but has Cally with him also. While the running out of air scenario has appeared in numerous sci fi shows. I really like how the processes they try to use to rescue them. While there was not any space battles that I look forward to. This episode finally has some heart pounding suspense and action.
  • Some not so happy people, again

Mm.. we have had Lee-Starbuck-Dee-Sam bad life episode, then Helo-Shannon one and now Chief and Celly have their turn.. so.. oh - in that case - nothing new. And we have a lot of nothing I think, on first sight but there is some adventure and some real danger what spiced it up and I most say I really liked some eye-opening on Adama - we all see him as a commander but this episode really brought little more humane side of him.. that he is a person, just like all others.. And I most say I like the way his storyline his going - with his son and with Roslin..
  • A Tale of two marriages

Once upon a time Bill Adama was a married man, as distant father as he was as a husband soon his marriage was over and so his sons grew apart. However one single day a year he “brings back” the wife he once left to recreate their life together as anniversary gift. As twisted as this may seem it’s noting compared to the married life chief Tyrol must face ever since he brought his family back from New Caprica; sharing the bathroom with hundreds of other colonial soldiers and his wife with another being, Chief finally takes an extra shift on their day off just so he and Cally could spend some time alone just like they used to before their son was born.

It is strange to picture Galen Tyrol as a man in love with Cally; he’s mainly the chief, a family man who happened to had a baby and Cally just the convenient choice for the mother of his children. We never saw him woo her, he certainly never pined over her and the most romantic gesture he ever pulled was to jump in front of cylon/human crossfire to save her life before Adama’s troops would attack New Capriva so I would’ve never pictured him as the kind of man who would miss some alone time with his wife even if it’s to bicker why they couldn’t afford a day off and yet, apparently, Galen does miss the undivided attention he used to get from her back when they were simly two especialist working working together. Problem is: Something goes wrong in the room they are working on.

And so the episode displays the tale of these two marriages; the idealized one Adama has in his mind and the very real one that’s about to end as soon as the room Cally and the chief are breaks apart throwing them both out of space. In Adama’s one the problems fade away even if Lee is the one who screams them out loud. In the Chief’s one the problems are confronted together even if it means to deal with what kind of family they’d wish should raise their son after they die. Both marriages are imperfect and yet while Adama chooses to ignore it because he needs to refuge in the lie Galen and Cally rather face how imperfects their lives are only so at the end of the day they could face that fact once more because, unlike Adama did, they won’t walk away from each other no matter how hard things would get which is the single cause of remorse that prevents Adama to let go of his wife: he has to bring her back, he already walked away when she was alive.
  • Adama: "We've been at war for so long that sometimes we forget what we're fighting for."

What an appropriate title for this episode, and I don't mean that in a good way. There's a technical malfunction aboard Galactica, Adama reflects back on his life with his ex-wife as their anniversary approaches, and Lee and Adama grow a little bit closer. The end. A marginally good episode, but nothing special.

I have to say that the moments before the airlock exploded had me riveted to my seat. A huge "Holy **** moment. I didn't care much for Cally and Chief's feud, though. It'd be nice if we'd seen Cally and Chief fighting beforehand (we've only heard about it) so that this episode would then seem like a natural progression.

I didn’t enjoy Adama's visions with his former wife. They reminded me way too much of Gaius' hallucinations of Six, which had to be intentional on the writers part. There's no way Adama can be a Cylon. I just won't stand for it.

I figured out that it’s not filler episodes I specifically dislike; it’s when the writers draw storylines out of thin air. We got no mention of Dogtown before last week's episode aired, and this week nobody mentioned it either. (Why was Helo in the ready room with the rest of the viper pilots instead of managing Dogtown?) It's as if last week never happened. Which is what I predict this week’s episode will turn out to be like, too. Hmmm. I still love this show, but if feels like this season is beginning to follow last season's pattern. Start off strong, then begin to dwindle later on in the season when the writers stuff in fillers to save the juicy stuff (it was the election last year; this year it's Baltar's trial) for the finale. Maybe Ron Moore is just better at 13 episode seasons, which is what we're getting next year. Let's wait and see. Maybe I'll get proved wrong.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Survivor Count: 41,398

- Lee's interest in law seemed like an obvious set up for Baltar's trial. Who wants to beet he'll be involved in it?

- Galactica hasn't seen the Cylons in 49 days.

- The hints that Adama/Roslin could develop a relationship are becoming more frequent. Just let it happen already, writers.

- Roslin: "This is very difficult for me to say, but I'm going to go to the gym."
    Adama: "Prepare yourself. On its best day, it smells like the inside of a shoe." Final Rating: 2 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • Not really that good. But certainly not THAT bad...

This episode was definitely not one of my favorites but I can't believe so many are giving it SUCH a low rating. It was ok, nothing special and I definitely have my problems with it but it still is not worthy of 2's, 3's and 4's. Just because an episode doesn't give you all YOU want or excite the hell out of you, it is no reason to dog it out. I guess some people just cant rate. Anyway, what the heck was up with Adama's imagination sequences? Why would the writers destroy something they worked SO hard to build up. This was something that was special between Gaius and Six-always leaving us to wonder: "Just what is up with that and when will we find out? Did she implant something undetectable in Gaius' brain?"...and then: POOF! Caprica Six is also seeing Gaius in HER imagination which ruined it for me but I gave it a chance when they hinted that HE might too be Cylon. But NOW.....Adama's seeing his damn ex-wife? C'mon, now. Even if he WAS, in some silly bad direction way, a Cylon, what does his ex-wife have to do with it? They just destroyed one of the most intriguing senerios they had. The writers/producers sometimes act like amateurs who don't think twice about an idea. Ooooh, that's cool how we have Gaius and six daydreaming and conversing in an alternate environment with nice lighting and coloring, let's do EVERYONE that way and just make it our trademark way for our characters to connect to their inner psyche. yeah, coool....NOT!! However, I guess it was an ok attempt at character development for Adama even if I don't like how it portrays him. The writers should take better care of their characters' appeal. Their making Adama out to be a No-good coward as a father(he just left Lee and his brother with a woman that even HE couldn't stand to stay with), and also we recently found out that HE just might be the reason why they are at war in the first place with his secret mission to spy on the Cylons. Plus they made a GREAT and possibly groundbreaking character which is Starbuck, who was a bad ass sexy tough chick with attitude and skills that you just loved to watch, into a childish, irresponsible, annoying, immoral, unfaithful, drunk whore(excuse me) that I can no longer stand 80% of the time...I mean, NO one does this to their characters. At least on 24, they don't destroy their characters' appeal, they just kill 'em off if they feel like it. lol But this was yet another filler episode-no more, no less. Not really that good, but certainly not horrible. They can't ALL be gems. Remember, they have to spread out their budget for 20 or so episodes as opposed to 13. I just hope they get it back on track by the next episode and don't just try to save it all for the finale.
  • This one of those quiet, pensive episodes that furthers the development of several of our characters.

Yeah, a slow day, just like any other day; and then something happens to heighten your awareness. In this episode, the big drama is that while trying to make repairs to an area of the ship that gone unused since the last big Cylon attack, Callie and the Chief are trapped in an air lock that has a badly repaired leak. Tick. Tock. And although this near death situation provided the opportunity for the newly-weds to come to grips with the truly important things in life and their relationship, it also provides Adama another lens through which he can see/muse over the choices he has made; I, however, couldn't muster up the energy to really care, 'cause the crisis seemed so maufactured & somehow I never felt they were in any real jeopardy. They could have had this discovery session anywhere else and it would have been fine. In fact, I wish they *had* made these leaps in their relationship elsewhere. but no matter, 'cause the more interesting story, to me, lay with Adama.

I was truly struck by the scenes involving Adama and his long-dead wife, Carolanne. Olmos is one of the most effective actors I've ever watched, especially in low-key stuff like this, where the most important revelations and epiphanies occur – not because of something big – but because of an everyday thing, like the talk you have with a dead loved one. (and yes, I have conversations like that.) And in teeny tiny small ways, we see advances in Adama and Lee's struggling and tenuous relationship. It was good to see Lee give Adama a little insight into the real life he left his family with and to struggle with the reality of the depth of his responsibility for so much brokeness.
  • Adama remenises about his wife and chief and cally face death

Wow another good charater episode
    i always used to dread them
    worthless flashbacks and pointless exposition
    no real plot to speak of
    but this was different.
    Adama really opens a can of worm this year
    when his illusions about his wifes sainthood
    and his career selfishness are shattered
    Bloody good and a bit shocking to boot.
    Cally and tyrol try to fix one of the many broken airlocks from the new caprica battle.
    But are sealed in as the malfuctioning bay decompresses
    they speak about thier fracturing relationship
    and who thier baby should go to if they dont make it out alive.

Two good episode in a row????
    I look forward to next episode for the first time in months
  • Oh Lord. I have to sympathise with those poor viewers (former viewers?) who can't stand these "no bang bang" episodes.

Hey there's a bit of action in this one, but I'm afraid to say BSG just isn't a show you can sit and veg-out too. A bit of thinking is required - you won't get the plot spoon-fed to you in the fashion that other shows do - BSG doesn't treat its audience as if they were imbeciles...there to be insulted between commercial breaks. I watched a recent episode of CSI:New York this week, and found myself embarrassed to be watching it (in the end I switched channels) - BSG is just raising my expectations of what I expect from a TV drama - and I have to ask why can't other shows match it?

I can understand why some folk reckon the show is going downhill - there is just too much going on in BSG, and none of it involves the expenditure of huge amounts of 9mm ammunition - hey, watch 24 and Jack Bauer will satisfy those needs! In the end the quality of the show goes up (as if it could go up any more) and the ratings suffer, perhaps as the younger watchers drop off, perhaps more willing to have their intelligence repeatly insulted by more "mainstream" shows.

Cally & The Chiefs rescue is of course pure sci-fi - lifted from Arthur C Clarkes "A Fall of Moondust". Douglas gets yet another chance to shine and does so without hesitation - he really is a find - an actor who has bided his time and waited for his moment, and like Tahmoh Penikett (Agathon) gives it 100% when that chance comes. Finally...finally, McDonnell gets a bit more script (still not enough to exploit her wonderful talent and I still don't think she's getting the scripts and lines she got in Season Two). Olmos too gets to stretch-out a bit, but once again I think he is being under-exploited. If anything this episode once again exposes the flaw of the 48 minute constraint - a 90 minute special every now and again would be justified and this plot would have been a perfect vehicle for an extended broadcast.
  • I read other reviews and sometimes I think that people do not get it.

Filler episode, takes away from Adama's character! These are the words I have seen in other reviews and I must admit that I disagree whole heartly. Not every day in a war is a battle, there is a lot of down time when you are left to reflect on why you are fighting and what it is you are fighting for. You can ask any soldier about that if you do not believe me, and it is in that time that Adama found his anniversary, and it was in that day of the year that he asks himself if being a soldier was worth the pain he caused his family. There is not a soldier who does not ask himself or herself that question. Adama did not have the luxury to ask that question every day but on his anniversary he forces himself to face those past decisions. And if you think that makes him a weaker character than you have not been paying attention to the man. Adama has often seen something of himself in the Chief and watching the man face death in the arms of his wife forced the Admiral to consider the truth of his own relationships. Would he have held that tight to his wife? Filler episode? Perhaps! But I hope all the filler episodes are this interesting and this engaging.
  • great episode

Chief Tyrol and Cally are trapped inside an airlock heavily damaged by the showdown with the cylons at new caprica. This episode flashbacks to a day in the life of admiral adama. This is a great episode, even though there were no battle scenes. It was suspenseful, putting Chief Tyrol and Cally's life in jeopardy was the real hook of the story. Stuff were happening around them as well, but the whole episode turned out really well, I really enjoyed this one. The rescue scene was done so well, the effects was awesome, this episode was really entertaining, I had a great time watching it.
  • Problem comes out of nowhere and is fixed by the end. Actually helps to weaken Adama's characterization.

4.5
    As the series continues, we are stuck around these stupid soap-opera-style dramas. I have been an avid watcher up to this point, but now I'm just so bored. This is sci-fi. Start thinking about sci-fi, not making an OC which just happens to be set on a spaceship.

The thing I liked about Captain Adama is his strength. This episode showed yet another fractured relationship. Does anyone in this series have any other kind? Adama's role in the series is much more than this petty nonsense.

Remember: SCI-FI!
    * why was Adama using a toothbrush? you don't think that there have been technological advances in dental hygeine?
    * having been on this ship for what seems like an eternity, maybe the writers might shed some light on how all these coffee cups and metals are baked and forged.
    * Why isn't there any strategic thinking? Starbuck once captured and converted a viper. In the episode where all the cylon fighters were shut down and left to float through space, the fleet's response was to use them as shooting practice. Didn't it occur to anybody to capture them and convert them to be used by the fleet? After all, they're always complaining that their vipers suck and are falling apart.

Just a few that come to mind...
  • The Cylons are being missed.

7.3
    One of the cool things about this rerun of Battlestar Galactica was always the fact that no matter what happened there was always something going on not necessarily related with a Cylon attack. But this episode that really comes to proof.

First there is no character development whatsoever. You can say what you like, but that's the truth. Admiral Adama never thought about his ex-wife and now they have this set-up delivered to us like if this was somekind of episode to introduce a character's demons when Adama always had demons and ghosts enough from his hard decisions made in the past.

Second, the airlock thing was a disaster. Chief Tyroll was having problems in his marriage and drinking a lot from two episodes ago 'til now just for this for certain.

As I said in one of my last episodes reviews I believe that the problem is that they are trying to make a huge season finale with Baltar's trial and everything that will occur around it and just like that all the good ideas are being keeped under control. And to this we can add the fact that it's the first season in the show with more-than-20 episodes and it's showing its price to the writers' minds.

One last thing: to such experient militar soldiers place the rescue ship in the sphere of action of the explosion of the airlock is a complete idiocracy.

Let's stay tuned though. As I said I place all my bets in a huge and marvelous season finale.
  • I believe that the writers are getting distracted, placing too much focus on building character depth for all the wrong reasons.

4.1
    Tyrol and Callie are great characters, but are they are not interesting enough to focus an entire episode on. I had the same reservations about "The Woman King," and Helo's persistant moral dilemma. I hate to tell the writers what they should do with their show, but it's time to focus on plot. For instance, what's going on with Baltar? How and why is Caprica 6 aiding in the case against Baltar? Who are the other 5 cylons? If Battlestar doesn't recover before the end of the 3rd season, they will face the same problems as the Lost--giving an audience a piecemeal glance at a larger plot, one grain of sand at a time. Shows like these fail because they don't get to the climax fast enough.
  • Skippable episode, one of several in a row.

4.4
    Having watched some of the episodes of season 2 with a friend, I decided to start watching this show. Unfortunately, this is the third episode that is a total disappointment. The only action is a really silly airlock rescue (silly because 1) they would have spacesuits in an airlock of this size and 2) all they had to do is send a spacewalker from the OUTSIDE to plug the leak. The actual 'method of rescue' is truly laughable and diminishes from the realism). The rest of the episode? Silly rehashed talk. No plot advancement, no new characterization, no world-building. Bring back the Cylons! Bring back the good writers!
  • What happened to the excellent writing of the first season?!?

2.7
    After watching this episode, I was inspired to create an account just so that I could review it. It was that bad. I love Battlestar Galactica. I even liked the 1980 version! The first two seasons of Galactica 2003 were great. Season 3 has been going steadily downhill. This episode was almost unwatchable. I nearly turned it off. The episode was full of plot holes. Let's see... trapped in an airlock that has a window, but that can not be removed or broken to save them. What about docking a ship at the airlock? Isn't that what airlocks are for? But wait, are we to understand that all of the airlocks on the Battlestar Galactica are wired with explosives... when they are dealing with computer expert enemies? Oh, that's brilliant. Virus 1, blow all of the airlocks. War over. Wait, there's more. The Galactica is likely pressurized to 1 atmosphere. Space is a near vacuum. Difference in pressure equals 1 atmosphere. So what was so devastating to that patch. A material made for this? During the Apollo 13 mission aluminum foil was all that separated 3 astronauts from space. If there had been a hole, duct tape would have saved them. So the airlock finally blows when the pressure is virtually zero and they are surviving on the emergency air that they have. So
    what blows them out of the airlock together with all of the crates and such if there is no pressure in the airlock?

Enough on that. Let's see, the episode begins with Adama in bed with someone! Exciting yes, but wait, he isn't in bed with anybody. It is his imagination. But we can see it. Why do we see his imagination. Did Adama catch Baltar Syndrome? Is this horribly bad foreshadowing that Adama is a Cylon? I don't know who is writing these episodes compared with who wrote in the 1st and 2nd seasons, but I think that I should find out. This is really starting to feel like the
    writers strike of about 20 years ago. Come on, you can do much better than this!
  • On Adama's wedding anniversary to Lee's mother, Carrie and the Chief find themselves in a sticky situation. Fortunately for them, humans, not paranoid AI's are in control of the ship.

"Open pod bay doors, please HAL".

Like last week this is aat least partly filler, but they managed a more pacy episode this time, because of the obvious external pressure (pardon the pun) from the damaged airlock. Very 2001, but setup very well for the characters.

I found it a very enjoyable way to tell a story about Adama, because it succesfully combines important character background with some classic sci-fi. OK, even derivative in this case, but I found it highly entertaining.

We discover that Lee almost became a lawyer like his grandad instead of joing the military.

Great performances and important strggle for Carrie and the Chief...good stuff even if the Cylonms spent another week on ice. Also the epiosode benefitted from some crafty editing to keep things going.
  • What makes Adama tick? The fear of a bad decision, be it personal or military.

I have to admit, I enjoyed how he talked to his wife, similar to how Baltar talks to 6. It was very revealing. However, this was another in a long run of filler episodes and it was approiately named. I have nothing against dealing with the day-to-day aspects of what goes on in the fleet, you have to do that, but it seems there's just nothing really to them. That aside, the airlock incident was excellent. Good tension, innovative solution and Adama at his best. "I don't need excuses I need a solution." It's always interesting how he decides things. I figure, going along we can expect a lot more filler and daily life issues. While overall there's nothing wrong with it, it just feels that a lot of the action is leaving the show. I just hope this is the calm before the storm.

I do wonder if they're going to pay any more hommage to the old serious like their encounters with other alien races. They can leave the celestrial stuff off though.
  • An unusual look at family under crisis

As of the writing of this review, “Battlestar: Galactica” has been renewed for a fourth season. The number of episodes for the fourth season seems to be unclear; David Eick has indicated that it will be 13 to 22, with the final number under negotiation with Sci-Fi Channel. The slump in ratings, largely due to the inexplicable move to late Sunday night, probably will factor into that decision. Whatever the case, fans need not be concerned yet; unlike “Farscape”, this series has too high a profile for it to be cancelled in the middle of the night on a sleepy weekend.

This is of interest because episodes like “A Day in the Life” wouldn’t happen in a 13-episode arc. Or rather, they tend to be rare. The writers are usually forced to focus on stronger season arc elements and tighter character threads. An episode devoted to character exploration is usually left out of the cut, or the content is watered down as a minor subplot. There’s less time to get caught in blind alleys (like the previous episode, “The Woman King”), but there’s also less time for intriguing character study.

Interestingly enough, all of the promotion for the episode seemed to focus on the airlock situation with Tyrol and Callie. Yet it quickly occurred to me, watching the episode the first time through, that their story was there to support the real action: the struggle within Adama’s mind. And that led me to the realization that we haven’t learned much about Adama from his point of view. We’ve gotten a lot of exposition, and a lot of opinions about “the old man”, but this is direct information.

If some of this is old information, particularly in terms of the Adama family dynamic and the effect of Bill’s absenteeism, it’s given new life through unique presentation. More to the point, father and son find a new level of respect for each other as a result. While Adama’s planet might hit this spot in its orbit year after year, circumstances bring Lee into the right place at the right time for a bit of rapprochement. It’s good to see the character move out of the Polygon of Tortured Love and into something that should challenge his moral assumptions.

The other nice touch to the episode is the treatment of Adama and Roslin’s unusual but incredibly sweet relationship. Their personal theme is one of my favorites pieces by Bear McCreary, and it is used well in this episode. Had the two of them agreed to a relationship at the end of the episode (or acknowledged openly the one they have), it would have been far less satisfying. Instead, they take an incremental step forward, with Adama still unable (or unwilling) to let go of past regrets. Unlike the Polygon of Tortured Love, this is a relationship that can be savored for its maturity.

While it was hardly as elegant, the struggles between Galen and Callie were at least realistic and give a bit more credence to Tyrol’s sudden aggravation in “Taking a Break From All Your Worries”. It’s interesting to see characters suffer through the typical issues that come with parenthood under the strained conditions of the Rag-Tag Fleet, and since they were tangential to the episode, they didn’t become a major distraction.

Episodes like this manage to communicate one of the more difficult aspects of the series’ premise: how does one live when civilization has been stripped away and every day might be the last? The overwhelming nature of humanity’s ordeal is easy to forget, but it is front and center in this episode. Consider for a moment the discussion, however brief, on the effect of the genocide and exodus on the legal system. Roslin openly admits that it has been a mess, and that the trial of Gaius Baltar now brings every shortcoming of the current status quo to light.

Shortening the fourth season may help the series survive through tighter plotting and active pacing, but it would be a shame to lose episodes like this in the process. More than that, this episode is an example of using existing situations and continuity elements as foundation for a something new. If the writers managed to do this more often with the non-arc episodes, longer seasons would hardly be a problem.
  • After last week's "Guess Who's Coming to the Cargo Bay" episode, I needed a jolt of space-battling, Cylon loving, Starbuck Punching, Roslin bluffing goodness to truly restore my love for this show. This wasn't it, but it's a step in the rig

7.1
    Last week's travesty seriously tested my love of Battlestar. I know this review shouldn't be about a previous episode, but that one really affects my opinion of this episode. Last week's slow, predictable cliché is tolerable only when followed by a return to form. Airing two bad episodes in a row suggests a slump, which suggests a drying of the creative well, which suggests an end to the greatest show on television. So my expectations of this episode are necessarily high.

The main plot of this episode, if you can call it a "plot," is Admiral Bill Adama's anniversary. Apparently, he imagines his ex-wife living with him in an old Caprica home every time their anniversary comes along. Much the way Baltar experienced his imaginary trysts with Six. In fact, the actress who plays Adama's wife looks enough like Tricia Helfer that in the final scene, it looks like he's kissing Six. That's teasing us, folks, and it's not nice.

Later on, Bill learns from a distraught Lee that his deceased ex-wife went bonkers when he left her. She started drinking heavily, and doing other stuff that Bill wouldn't let Lee tell us. Come on! We can watch Sharon get almost-raped but we can't hear the details of Mrs. Adama's bad parenting? Anyways, Adama gets into an imaginary fight with his imaginary ex-wife who is unable to defend her actions, both because they were wrong and because she's held back by her being imaginary. In the end, Bill settles things with his imaginary ex-wife, telling her he'll see her next year and giving her the aforementioned goodbye kiss.

This brings to mind a question: does he do this with all of his holidays? On his birthday does he see his mom? On Colonial day does he see the founders of the colonies? Hmmm... that would make Christmas a little more interesting.

The "exciting" part of this episode deals with Chief Tyrol and his wife Cally. They've been on the outs lately, for some reason that I haven't been able to ascertain and/or prove important. Frankly, we've seen way too much of them lately and it doesn't look like it's getting any better. So, they go in to this old airlock room to fix it or something. Chief didn't have to bring Cally, but he wants to spend so much time with her that he did anyway. Well, he regrets it when the airlock door seals shut and he and Cally are stuck in a room that's running out of air. Tension!

This plot line is almost as cliché as last week's. It was done similarly in the "Disaster" episode of Star Trek: TNG. Coincidentally, that episode was written by the creator of this show, Ronald D. Moore. Wait, that's not a coincidence. That's recycling your own idea. But this plot ends with a spectacular scene in which an airlock is blown and the extremely boring couple is blown out into space to be caught by Starbuck and Apollo in a nearby Raptor. So all is forgiven. The most entertaining part of this episode was the budding romance between Bill Adama and Laura Roslin. Apparently, she's spending a lot more time on the Galactica. She's scheduling lots of meetings with the Admiral and has even started going to the gym! I guess she doesn't know how to flirt without being exceedingly obvious. By the way, I can just imagine her in the gym with Apollo as a spot. They should make that a spin-off and air it on FitTV. "Now time for 'Fitness with Laura Roslin.' First up, the 'Throw-them-out-the-airlock' move. It's all in the knees..."

One of the final scenes of the episode is a conversation between Bill and Laura about their time on New Caprica. About what possibly-maybe-almost could have happened between them. It was a very well acted scene; the characters showed their longing for each other while not being unprofessional. It redeemed what otherwise would have been a completely contained and useless part of this show's storyline. And it brought me reluctantly into the ranks of the Bill-Laura Shippers.

All-in-all, this episode was a mild improvement from last week's. Although almost nothing of consequence happened and I felt like I had been teased by the whiff of a much better episode, it was exciting. It was below average, of course, but I'm no longer convinced that the Battlestar Well has run dry. They still have a few buns in the oven. But I am worried. Should episodes like this and the last one make up the bulk of this season, it's going to be intolerable. This show has so much potential and so much material left, we shouldn't be seeing these kinds of episodes. We shouldn't be having a slump like Lost or the other shows that collapse during the third or forth season. Here's hoping the next episodes of this show make us complete forget the past two, because if this show loses it's critical acclaim it is in serious jeopardy.
  • With this week’s episode, we get a different look inside the Galactica.

One of the things that hooked me to the updated Battlestar Galactica was, early on, they dealt with the realities of day to day living under the threat of the Cylons. Supplies were short, tempers flared and sometimes the rules had to be bent for the overall survival of humanity.

With this week’s episode, we get a different look inside the Galactica. Instead of seeing how the crew reacts to being under attack every thirty-three minutes by the Cylons or how they deal with a lack of resources, we instead look inside a seemingly ordinary day on the big ship of the fleet.

Of course, in Galactica terms there’s no such thing as an ordinary day.

It’s been forty-nine days since the Cylons attacked the fleet. The lack of attack has allowed the fleet to catch its breath a bit, to do some repairs that aren’t necessarily life and death but are still much needed. It’s possibly allowed the pilots to go a bit soft as they get lax without the constant life and death struggle of combat with the Cylons.

But into this ordinary day, come some extraodinary things. The fleet is still trying to figure out what to do about Baltar. Yes, he’s to have a trial, but what kind of trial? Under what system of justice? Is there any law or system that applies to this? And are there even enough lawyers or legal scholars around to conduct a trial? The question raised is–can Baltar get a fair trial in the fleet?

It’s intereting to watch Laura Roslin and Bill Adama struggle with this question. And it makes you wonder–would Baltar have done the same for them during his time in power? The Roslin/Adama scenes are, as always, charged with an energy beyond just the poltiical debate unfolding. I know a lot of fans have debated just how far the Roslin/Adama relationship has gone and would go. I think here we get some answers. Adama is letting down defenses, but I don’t think it’s quite gone as far as everyone thinks.

And a large part of that is William Adama. Earliker this year, we saw an episode where Adama felt he was to blame for the Cylons attack on the colonies. He doubted his decisions in an series of events that led up to the Cylon attacks. Now, we get the reason as to why Adama would doubt those decisions.

The day in question of this episode is Adama’s wedding anniversary. As the episode unfolds, we see Adama talking to his ex-wife in his mind. I have to admit I was worried we’d go for a Lost-style flashback when I heard we’d meet Bill Adama’s ex-wife this season. I really have got to learn to start trusting Ron Moore and company more. (It’s not that the flashback couldn’t work, but it would seem a bit out of place on Battlestar to go back that far). Instead, Adama speaks to her as his own version of the Six in Baltar’s head. Adama realizes he made a bad choice and walked away from his marriage and family. He made a poor choice of a wife and now questions all his other choices. It even goes so far as to point out Adama keeps everyone at a distance now for fear of making another wrong choice–at least emotionally.

Interesting that his closest friend is still Tigh. Seeing the portraits of the Adama marriage and what it was like before he left, makes you understand why he has sympathy for Tigh. It seems that both of them married a simliar type of woman, though I doubt that Carol Ann Adama was nearly as much the political manueverer that Ellen Tigh was. But seeing this, you can see yet another reason these two men share such a bond and a friendship.

It also made his reaching out to two people in his life–Lee and Roslin–that much more interesting. Interesting to hear who Adama and Roslin are couching their get togethers in official business, which there is such a subtext of something more occuring. It was also interesting that the deleted scene showed the fleet seems to be noticing.

Meanwhile, the rest of the day is far from ordinary. Tyrol and Cally are supposed to be off-duty and spend the day with their son…at least until Tyrol signs them up for extra duty. The two go to work on an airlock that was damaged in the Galactica falls through the atmosphere sequence from earlier this year. An air leak creates problems, especially when the back-up systems appear to be down. Adama is forced to come up with an extraordinary plan to save these two people.

What I found interesting about this plotline was how it took a lot of the regular crew all working together to make the plan come together. It was nice to see everyone come togther in a common goal that while it was about survival, wasn’t about surviving an attack by the Cylons. It shows us why the crew has survived so long as well.

That said and having heard the rumors of a female-cast member death by season’s end, I wondered if Cally would make it. I’m glad she did but I still have to worry she may not be around come season’s end. Could her injuries be too great and we lose her?
  • Adama shows another side, Lee begins to come into his own and even through all that, the most important question worth asking is - How important is Family?

I have to be honest here, I am rather surprised that my fellow reviewers here did not take all to well to this episode. There are some rather interesting subjects addressed here and the overall flow of the episode certainly contributes to a continued character development, centering this episode on two main subjects: A working Family and a fallen apart Family.

In all seriousness, we have all been in a situation similiar. Loosing someone either through a drastic event or just through our own choice. We sometimes even face almost loosing someone that is special to us and this episode certainly manages to convey the message "You don't know what you had until it is gone or too late...". For Adama, he blames himself for a lot of things. A natrual leader and a great person at heart, we already know he regrets decisions that did not work out as intended. As hard as he tries, the type of person we know him to be is the person that does not allow for compromise. Everyone is special to him. He distances himself mainly because people take his support for granted or cross the line because they know or thought they knew he would let them get away with it. That has changed in Adama. He has become more distant and we have certainly come to know that in the past few episodes. When it counts on the other hand, he is there and he will never dissapoint anyone intentionally. His family fell apart and he had to learn the hard way that success in a job is not always success in the rest of your life. With a lost son, a divorce and Lee who has become accustomed to Adama's distance, it is clear that Adama is trying hard to correct mistakes, even if his pride will not always allow him too. From an acting point of view there is not much to say except excellent. This is a very different take on the Adama character and my respect for him has increased, even though I thought that not to be possible. The other side of the Family centric episode is Cally and Tyrol. Trapped inside the airlock, it is clear that Tyrol is trying to find himself again. The deck chief, the father, the husband. Not everything comes together perfectly and in his struggle to find a balance, he does what most men do, when their intention is good - back off and go distant. He is being faced with the same decision Adama faced, only in this case, Tyrol tries to do it right. A life threatening situation, easily translated into any major decision into anyones own life shows that it can always go one way or the other. Even if we don't believe there is a choice in the matter, there always is. It is up to us to make it and here, we get a chance to see how the choice goes either way. This certainly is not a filler episode, more of a set-up episode for Adama, Lee and Rosylin (spelling?) for the upcoming trail we all know is going to happen. This episode also continues the trend of playing out the consequences of past episodes, certainly with the battle damage. It is not Star Trek or Star Wars, were a heavily damaged ship still functions perfectly. Here it is clear that the manpower and resources are missing to make a much needed overhaul. If only the Pegasus was still around...

For me it was a revealing episode in terms of the Adama character, a setup for a possible future direction of Lee and a flicker of hope for Tyrol and Cally as well as a possible hint for Adama and Rosylin. A strong plot, played out graciously and with a feel for the moment, not lingering too long but not skipping the emotions either and the rescue attempt was fantastic, not just from an effects point of view but also from a tension building perspective.

If the writers continue to do as they have done in this season, there is no doubt that Season 4 will be even better. Its good to see that Galactica continues to concentrate on the characters, rather than on action and effects ladden sequences (although I like those a lot too). It takes itself seriously and that is another great strength of the show and this episode certainly is a strong contribution to it, when you look at the message they brought across, rather than trying to bring a message across in which so many other shows fail just to get cheap thrills.
  • ...watch it yourself

it was a good character development episode. Going more into the adama family and what erupted between the father and soon prior to the cylons. There was also a bit of a tease about their spin off show caprica. it's pretty interesting to watch. of course the whole saving them from a hangar was a bit cliche. they could have done without that part of the story. then again you wouldn't be able to introduce the baby as a more important role in the series i guess. oh well was a good episode. not as entertaining as some others but good
  • Not filler but contains spoilers.

This episode brings into light the relationship between Adama and his late ex-wife on the anniversary of their marriage. Throughout the episode a running mental dialogue between Adama and his ex-wife tells the story of a couple that were doomed to fail. The back and forth between Galactica and Adama's home on Caprica is done almost in a cylon/Baltaresque projection, which spells out for the viewer exactly what was wrong with Adama's marriage. The fact that Adama still loves his wife is endearing after the abuse she put him through along with Lee and Zack. Also in this episode, Cali and Tyrol get trapped in a malfunctioning airlock. The relationship between Tyrol and Cali is being strained with the baby Nick and the shortage of workers on Galactica. This isn't the first time that Cali and Tyrol have fought over things, the last couple episodes Tyrol has made it clear that their marriage is strained. It's good to see more exploration into minor characters. Since the Eye of Jupiter, Tyrol has had more of a part in the series, especially since next weeks episode looks to be all about him as well. Personally, I think he's a cylon.

Lastly, the preparations for Baltar's trial have begun to take shape. President Roslin tries to coax Lee into heading up the lawyers. No real preparations have begun but it looks like Lee is going to be a part in the trial. The fact that they may have to make up a new legal code may stall the trial until the season finale which is probably the plan. Good episode, no space battles, but you can't always have them, drama is just as riveting.
  • Another random and O.K episode.

7.9
    "A Day in the Life" sounds like a title coming straight from a soap opera series, but most of the soap opera elements we have seen lately is left out, luckily. The story presented within the episode is doable, exciting at some parts, but it's not a killer episode. It is O.K to watch, but it kind of feels like an episode from a medicore series you just watch because you are bored. And unfortunately, that is how all of the latest episodes have been. If they have to take the step that they need to fill in a lot of unnessecary things to make a full 20-something episodes, then they should do what they did in Season 1, have 13 episodes and its over. That would leave out the filler episodes and make it extremely exciting.