Battlestar Galactica

A Day in the Life

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 18, 2007 on Syfy

• Adama: "We've been at war for so long that sometimes we forget what we're fighting for."

What an appropriate title for this episode, and I don't mean that in a good way. There's a technical malfunction aboard Galactica, Adama reflects back on his life with his ex-wife as their anniversary approaches, and Lee and Adama grow a little bit closer. The end. A marginally good episode, but nothing special.

I have to say that the moments before the airlock exploded had me riveted to my seat. A huge "Holy **** moment. I didn't care much for Cally and Chief's feud, though. It'd be nice if we'd seen Cally and Chief fighting beforehand (we've only heard about it) so that this episode would then seem like a natural progression.

I didn’t enjoy Adama's visions with his former wife. They reminded me way too much of Gaius' hallucinations of Six, which had to be intentional on the writers part. There's no way Adama can be a Cylon. I just won't stand for it.

I figured out that it’s not filler episodes I specifically dislike; it’s when the writers draw storylines out of thin air. We got no mention of Dogtown before last week's episode aired, and this week nobody mentioned it either. (Why was Helo in the ready room with the rest of the viper pilots instead of managing Dogtown?) It's as if last week never happened. Which is what I predict this week’s episode will turn out to be like, too. Hmmm. I still love this show, but if feels like this season is beginning to follow last season's pattern. Start off strong, then begin to dwindle later on in the season when the writers stuff in fillers to save the juicy stuff (it was the election last year; this year it's Baltar's trial) for the finale. Maybe Ron Moore is just better at 13 episode seasons, which is what we're getting next year. Let's wait and see. Maybe I'll get proved wrong.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Survivor Count: 41,398

- Lee's interest in law seemed like an obvious set up for Baltar's trial. Who wants to beet he'll be involved in it?

- Galactica hasn't seen the Cylons in 49 days.

- The hints that Adama/Roslin could develop a relationship are becoming more frequent. Just let it happen already, writers.

- Roslin: "This is very difficult for me to say, but I'm going to go to the gym."
    Adama: "Prepare yourself. On its best day, it smells like the inside of a shoe." Final Rating: 2 stars.

- Tim Bronx