Battlestar Galactica

A Disquiet Follows My Soul

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 23, 2009 on Syfy

• mostly a setup episode for next week. Gaeta looks like he will mutiny, Thrace, Adama and Rosalyn look to be on the outs after Earth.

People get upset on here when people refer to episodes as filler or set up, but they are necessary. If there was a theme to the episode, it seems to be that people want regime change. Starbuck, Adama and Rosalyn all face new unpopularity (some tie in to current events) because their decisions turned out t be wrong. Zarek, Baltar and Gaeta seem to be ushering in a new era (or want one) Adama and Rosalyn seem to be further along in giving up. Rosalyn went off her meds and seems content to die, and Adama is drinking himself there. Starbuck now seems to be very unpopular too, which looks also to develop more next episode, since she was also all about finding Earth and led the people there. Most of the fleet now seems close to revolt. Richard Hatch has the best material yet as Zarek and he did an especially fine job this episode.

I did not like Tyrol not being the father of his child. It seemed like a dues ex machina to get rid of a problematic plot point. (him fathering a child as a cylon) It came out of nowhere and we never had any sense that Cally was unfaithful or doubted Tyrol until much later in the series when she learned he was a cylon. It might have been necessary from a story point of view, but it really came out of nowhere. This plot point is the main reason I rated this episode as fair.