Battlestar Galactica

Act of Contrition (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 28, 2005 on Syfy

• The one where: Starbuck is in trouble.

There's a really nice set-up to this episode, with each ad break feeding us just a small piece of an intriguing puzzle. That puzzle being Starbuck fighting for her life. It's the anticipation as to how Starbuck managed to get herself in that very situation that lends this episode a lot of momentum. Throw in some much appreciated flashback scenes and some outstanding performances from our main cast, and you have a fun, compelling and cliff-hangery episode.

It's the first truly awesome episode of BSG.

Spoilerish Title Sequence: 4 mins and 28 secs into the episode.

It was interesting to see Kara as a love interest, as she's generally perceived as the badass with the heart of gold. The flashbacks do well to flesh out her character, as well as the interesting father/daughter dynamic she shares with William Adama. Their conflict scenes together were absolutely electric. Katee Sackhoff gives an incredibly raw performance and Edward James Olmos is at his disapproving best. I just felt so bad for Kara (and proud) the way she had to stand there and face Adama's stone cold stare as she confessed the truth as to what happened with Zack. Gold acting stars.

Meanwhile, on Caprica, Helo and Sharon strike gold (of the food variety) when they stumble upon a bomb shelter that will replenish their supplies so that the writers can isolate this storyline for even longer. There's not really a lot to it, but then again, it doesn't feature enough to take away from the episode.

Frak-O-Meter: 2 fraks this week, with Kara changing it up a little: ''frak me.''

Cylon Sex: Afraid not, but we do get some of the human kind with Starbuck and Zack.

Spot the six: Just a stalkerish Caprica Six hanging outside of the shop where Helo and Sharon are hiding. Ya know, the usual.

Injuries: Just the fatalities of 13 pilots, with another 7 in sick bay. Nothing too serious...

Boomer or Sharon?: Sharon again this week, but only cos Boom aint around.

Ships Lost: Ships are getting off easy, huh?

Battlestar Bleakness: Well, there's nothing like a quick massacre (during a celebration!) to kick-start an episode. Or how about when Adama asked Starbuck to leave his office, ''while you still can.'' Yikes.

Everything just clicks here. The score really caught my attention this week, and can I just say it's easily one of my favourite aspects to the show. It just so happens to have awesome acting, hella cool ideas and lots of space battles. All present in this episode. A BSG classic.