Battlestar Galactica

Black Market

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 27, 2006 on Syfy

7.9
  • Black Market

Black Market was a superb episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of drama, intrigue and character development as the President wanted to take drastic action against the fleet's black market. The Black Market was run by a great character and actor and it was fun to watch him in action. I also thought it was great for Apollo to take the stance he did, better the devil he knows than some random people in control of the Black Market. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • In a departure from anything we care about, Apollo leaves Galactica to investigate Black Marketeers that are wreaking havoc with the fleet's economy.

This episode crashed and burned, and really ought to be retitled, "Black Mark--on an Otherwise Great Series". The military is requested to help remedy a situation with black marketeers. (We haven't really heard of this being a problem before, mind you.) Apollo investigates, some people die, the black marketeers are slapped on the wrist, and we are back where we started as if the episode never took place.

"Black Market" is a great example of a "filler episode". Problem, plot, and solution are all synthesized for one episode, and then never mentioned again. Another classic "filler episode" is this season's "Scar", which at least had some cool space combat action.

Just assume this episode never happened (and assume that the commander of the Pegasus was replaced by a new actor), and BSG will continue to be a gripping, groundbreaking series.
  • Lines you can't cross.

-Fisk's death was done well. The cubit(qubit?) was a nice touch, old school. But I always thought it symbolized the victim had been running his mouth to the wrong people, not that they had gotten greedy.

-Apollo's confrontation with Tigh could have been written a little better I think. I thought Apollo should be too angry and disgusted to be smug and cocky. I mean, did Tigh know Fisk was involved/running the black market or did he just think he was making a one time trade with a drinking buddy? Because the former is inexcusable. All those other people Tigh says are doing it aren't XO's and they probably aren't trading directly with a Commander.

-Phelan was great in his small role, big fan of the actor(Bill Duke), but I was a little disappointed he never got to tell Apollo, "You know ya done f***ed up, don't ya?" Though the lines they did give him were pretty good, "It's hard to find the moral high ground when you're all standing in the mud." And just his presence on screen is powerful. Great actor and I think they made good use of him.

-Oh Apollo, don't you know that as much as he is for misery the pimp is a whore's familiar? So the sudden strange or violent draws her to him(thanks Deadwood). But seriously, I enjoyed the plot with her. I was shocked when it was revealed she was a professional and I loved that they would do that with Apollo's character, especially as they had been working in the plot with him being interested in Dee(not to mention whatever still might be between him and Starbuck). Revealing that he isn't a fairy tale prince who can only be with the woman he loves, but is a human being that's as flawed and broken as any of us, made me gain respect for the character. Even if he did seemingly manage to find a hooker with a heart of gold.

-Roslin wanting to remove Baltar as VP was to be expected and after his actions at the end of the last episode I'm glad she didn't waste any time in doing it. If it was any other character I would respect them being able to look past the fact that Baltar had just saved their life and do what needed to be done, but I'm not quite there with Roslin. Especially since she made him VP in the first place, despite having misgivings about him even then. Not to mention the fact that she bolloxed the whole thing up, by not only not getting him to resign but pissing him off in the process. Who knew that going from insulting, to patronizing, to threatening, wasn't a good way to convince someone to do something?

Apollo grew on me a lot with this one episode, and not just by putting a bee in Roslin's bonnet over the trade sanctions/black market issue. His acting was grounded and convincing all the way through and I think it was a good move tarnishing the white knight he so often seems to be.

I've taken some heat on another site for giving this episode such a high rating, but I honestly enjoyed it, though it does sit in the middle of some not so great episodes.
  • This episode simply was bad executed.

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

This Black Market situation is well explored in terms of situations that could happens, but seems to me a mere filler and nothing more, even if a commander is dead. Then they decided to do another episode centered, this time in Apollo and my problem is that not only Apollo doesn´t have any interesting plots in the moment, he Is not a very interesting character, but he serves great like a support for some characters or for some situations.

This is why suddenly he is sleeping with a hooker and he have his own drama form the past the he didn´t overcame, this came from nowhere to give meaning to the episode, this girl was not mentioned one single time before. The structure of the episode can come as a joke for some people, but could be worse.

Presentation Phase - » (6/10) not bad,
    Complication Phase - » (5/10) Apollo as a detective, did not combine, poor treatment of the conflict,
    Climax Phase - » (5/10) didn´t see it,
    Ending - » (5/10) predictable and strange,

The black market continues, what they did in this episode was just make Apollo make two conclusions, one about the situation, other about his past, the Storyline is bad executed, the is some things that don´t make sense, like Apollo detective or murderer. For me, this was pure filler.

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (6/10) fair,
    Time and Scene Management - » (5/10) or the episode is bad or this is a bad filler,
    Plot Details/Holes- » (3/10) there is no connection between the past and present, But far worse was the existence of a crime syndicate so powerful that it could eliminate the commander of a military vessel so easily (like there is no security) and without consequences.
    Storyline -» (5/10) weak,

Very hard to care for the drama or feel the tension.

Drama - » (5/10) didn´t care,
    Suspense/Tension - » (5/10) poor,

This episode simply was bad executed.
  • Some at the bottom, some in low...

So, we are having new kind of Lee - he is stressed out and somehow off after the accident with him in Blackbird.. And he has taken it all down himself and gets in trouble - a new commander of Pegasus gets killed again and Lee is investigating it while being involved with those people who were part of it, in real or just connected way, too closely.

I most say - the story was not the best and the whole feeling was missing. The past of Lee and his regrets and what they wanted to show - it was not working too well.

A weaker episode than those marvelous last ones.
  • Another great drama episode.

I really like how this one started and how it ends. We get shown a glimpse of how people live outside of Galactica and how it deals with them. I like how its shown that when there is despair and malcontent there is someone there to deal with them and for profit too. Like in real life where governments don’t provide basic items like medicine there is always black market items that will soon follow. The solutions that Lee Adama has for the broken system looks at best promising and is anything but ordinary. The phrase keep your friends close and your enemies closer seem to come to mind.
  • The first real miss of this superb series.

4.5
    Not bad (by horrible Criminal Minds standards) but not up to the usual quality at all. Interesting premise to peel beneath the layers of Caprican society, but overall a disappointment. Lee's story simply doesn't have enough meat to be the focus of an entire episode. The main bad guy character seems very broadly drawn, almost a stereotype which this series never seems to stoop to. The first time i remember being rather glad the episode was over instead of drooling for more. I believe this is universally considered one of the weakest episodes of the series. But again, still light years ahead of every crime procedural drama out there.
  • Reality is always the story that never happens

I just can't stop being amazed at the writing skills. Here we see an administration that clearly wants a good solution to the black market. This in a world where status is so beyond the reality of life. When white knight Apollo is send to investigate, he gets to live a war on three fronts. The side of the administration, the side of the ones living on the ship and trying to make a living and last but not least the truth. The truth is that a clean reality will never exist. It is nice to see Richard 'the original Apollo' Hatch in his role. He is the true new force on the ships as he sees, he sees what could be, and he lets the pawn (Apollo) clean the field without ever becoming visible. It is clear that we have more then a few gems to see from Richard and this is all clearly only the beginning.
    In the end, Apollo gets a true bitter taste of the reality he never expected to get.
  • This episode examines the black market problem within the fleet, and begins with Roslin, back on her feet, announcing her intention to legislate trade. The Pegasus commander, Fisk, is then murdered by black marketeers, and Lee investigates his death.

While this episode is characteristically well-written, cast, and directed, it's hard to know what to think about it. The events in the fleet involving the emergence and potential necessity of the black market are very interesting, but, oddly enough, the character developments, which are all about Lee, are not as compelling. The biggest problem with them is that it seems as if they come almost completely out of the blue. Unlike Roslin and Adar, or Zak Adama and Kara, Lee's previous relationship with the mysterious and ethereally beautiful blonde woman (he seems to have this thing about blondes) on Caprica had never been alluded to before, and that it almost unheard of in the show. Also, his affair with Siobhan, apparently of pretty lengthly standing, had never been mentioned, either. His actions as he pursues the black marketeers show great character, as usual, and the episode is still very good. Lee does have some serious issues to deal with, such as his apparent suicidal impulses in Resurrection Ship, Part II, and it was good to address them. However, it still seems so sudden, somehow.
  • great.

mobsters in space, how's that even possible. but the writers figured out how to do just that. with a sizable amount of human population and you got some criminal activity happening somewhere in between. that's just human nature, this episode shows our own flaws as a race. maybe it is genetic, we're not sure, but criminality is an ugly face of humanity and we explore that in this episode. we get to see a little bit of Apollo, he had a girlfriend in the past before the cylon attack. it's sad that fisk had to go in this episode, I was beginning to like him.
  • Roslin's gotta cut it out already...

I don't care who Roslin thinks she is, but she needs to realize that she was minutes from death and start embracing life already. She's being too forward and demanding. I loved her when she was dying, Mary McDonnell's a good actress. Hopefully they start writing in that she should be thankful.

I was a little confused in the beginning because I thought Apollo was having flashbacks from the attack, not from the previous day. Apollo's a good character, I'm so glad he shot the guy.

Adama should have a little more of the spotlight, which I'm sure is coming soon enough. I'm still hoping for them to release Sharon, even she's going to double cross them at some point.
  • Fisk is murdered and Apollo tries to get to the bottom of the black market. Not one of my favorites.

Admittedly, this episode was not one of my favorites. In fact, it was probably my least favorite of the second season batch. This is another example of a seemingly disconnected storyline post-Pegasus that BSG's writers provided. I think maybe we were a bit too spoiled with the first season and the first part of the second season where everything seemed to connect and mesh in a perfect sort of way that this series of episodes left us a bit disappointed, though I'm sure at some point in the future it will all make sense.

Maybe I'm a bit strange, but I was rather disappointed that the writers decided to kill off Graham Beckel's character of Commander Fisk. While they never really got into too much detail with him, I found him to be a rather likeable and interesting character during Pegasus and Resurrection Ship. He was imperfect, like most of the other characters, but I felt the writers, if they wanted to try, could've done a bit more with him if they had the opportunity.

Not necessarily a bad episode, but not a great one either. And the whole Apollo seeing a prostitute thing kind of came out of the blue.
  • Out-of-touch attempt at Orphean tragedy. Uncharacteristically bad episode.

OK, they want Apollo to have a prostitute girlfriend like the old Apollo. News Flash: The old series wasn't that great. There is no need to emulate it.

With that out of the way, let us discuss the worst episode of the series to date. Apollo is sent to investigate the underbelly of the fleet after an officer is murdered by Black Marketeers. So he proceeds to sleep with a prostitute. Not that I blame him, but gimme a break. These people are on spaceships. Traveling from one to another is a major undertaking. Are we really supposed to believe that Black Market trade can occur under these conditions? And I don't think the writers really understand what a black market is. A black market is where people go to buy illegal items that are otherwise unavailable. Guns, drugs, exotic animals, ivory, cuban cigars. That sort of thing. Not fruit, liquor, medicine, and legal cigars. And selling children? I think people would notice if someone on a spaceship suddenly turned up with a new kid. Maybe. A group that steals medicines and then turns around to sell them isn't a black market; it's a scam. Get with it before you try to preach to us about inherent imperfections in society. It pained my to watch someone as strong-willed as Roslin caving to Apollo's weak defense of the Black Market.

And there the other problem with this episode: Apollo. He's a weak character; a whiny brat who keeps moaning about how he wants to die. Go ahead, see if I care. I have to wonder what he did that was so great everyone treated him like a hero when he first came on the ship. Maybe we'll find out someday.

All in all, a pretty weak episode. I can only hope the trend does not continue.
  • Not as Bad

Not as bad as some would have you belive. I like watching the show on DVD I usually put the DVD in and push "Play All" I think these few episodes will play out better in that format.

I like the show because it is always full of suprises and the fact that Apollo was seeing a hooker is not so farfeched when it is apparent that prostitution is legal in the Colonies.

I realy miss the differnt storylines though. It seems the past couple of shows have been about one character.
  • GOOD story, BAD casting.

6.9
    In an vaccuum, I enjoyed this episode. But in the arc of Apollo, I never bought that this was happening to him.

It seems as if this episode was written for someone else on the ship and at the last minute the producers said they had to make Bamber the lead.

This episode was a clone of a good film noir story. The seedy underbelly of life. The heartless and powerful mob boss. The Femme-Fatale. And the every-man trying to be good in a world of bad things.

Sounds like a good story, right? Well it was. Problem is, that's not Cpt. Adama. Never before has there been any hint of anything that happened in this episode. And I am not talking about the Black Market stuff, that seems believable. But the Appolo story lines seemed forced and fabricated. A secret life with a hooker? The woman he lost? While I would like to see Adama fleshed out this was a miss. Lee ain't no 'john'.

I think this was a waste of a good script that should have been given to someone else.
  • I can only assume the writers think they have all the time in the world to extend this series, because nothing seems to be happening lately. Are they out of idea's or are they worried they can't fill a third season?

7.1
    Didn't they get a lead on finding earth? So why have they not mentioned it since that episode. This is a character driven episode, I get that but when do we find out where this story is actually going. There seems to be no real plot driven episodes upcoming either.
  • Give me a break!

What was that, the only thing worse would be the stupid flashback episode, which is sure to come one of these days. So the great Apollo falls for a hooker who ends up working for the bad guys. Who is this Apollo person anyway? They did a great job developing him in the first season, now he is just kind of there, not really doing much. This episode was terrible.
  • ....There is a lot I liked about this episode. In particular, the quandary as to the trade-offs between the society you want, and the society that is possible with respect to the black market trade.

....While there were also some good character points for Lee (particularly in the way he was dealing with the current realities of civilian life in the fleet) there were some that were quite sketchy. I agree with many of the others here that the flashback sequences with Lee's prior girlfriend could have been better anchored to the story in general. Even the exposition at the end was an odd fit because I would like to see more about why Lee was so obsessed with his prior girlfriend and why he was running away from things.
    ....While I don't think we need everything explained in excruciating detail, I think more is required to flesh out the character.
    ....Moore has commented that Lee is a rather disillusioned individual who is not so sure about his role in life. This sentiment was particularly apparent in the podcast for "Final Cut" when Moore pointed out Lee's status as a reservist. Moore explained that, unlike his father, the focus of Lee's life was not towards continuing and attaining higher rank in the Colonial Fleet. He is just not sure about what he wants in life. This relates to another matter between Lee and his father: issues pertaining to Zach.
    ....In the miniseries, Lee aired his resentment towards his father for purportedly pushing both he and Zach into the service. While Lee probably blamed his father for Zach's death on account that Zach was not cut-out for the service, I presume this was about more than that. I often got the impression that although Lee was cut-out for the service, he didn't want to be in it and the Cylon attack forced him into a situation he didn't want. Again, Lee is disillusioned just as I might infer from his decision to suffocate himself in "Resurrection Ship, Part II." I think it may have helped to expand on this underlying disillusion in order to provide the audience with more of an understanding as to the Lee's underlying motivations in the context of this episode. Much of this series has been devoted to how these flawed characters deal with their past and rise (or fall) to the demands of their present situations. For these reasons, I wish Lee's character motivations were more fleshed-out in this episode; however, I suppose this can be cured by doing so in future episodes.
    ....I think it would be very worthwhile to examine the emotional context that Lee is acting on. In this light, this episode can be foreshadowing.
  • "Black Market" provides a change of pace for the show. Apollo is recruited by Adama to be a detective, as he investigates the murder of an important official. Lee delves into the dark underbelly of human society in the fleet.

I liked it a lot, although the end seemed unfinished. It was a bit different than most BSG episodes, which was a nice change of pace. One great thing about the series is that there are always changes, changes in the plot, changes in the fleet, changes in the characters, and now a different episode style. It reminded me of the movie "Blade Runner," where Harrison Ford's character, Deckard, sought his escapee in the grimy, seedy underworld of the Los Angeles of the future. Deckard faced physical attacks like Lee did and ventured into the heart of the urban jungle, the enemy's territory, as Lee did. [By the way, Edward James Olmos played an important character in the movie, Gaff.]

I didn't miss the outer space special effects at all, though I look forward to future episodes with special effects extravaganzas. This was a moody, morose episode--BUT in a good way. My only criticism would be the final scene with Lee and Admiral Adama. It seemed like the writers ran out of energy there and couldn't think of any additional dialogue. Adama says that Lee should have told him about the woman. Huh? I didn't get the point of having Adama say that at that point. Why was that the final scene of the episode?

Still, I enjoyed it.
  • I liked this better than most seem to, including the show's creator.

Seems to me this is a very good insight into Apollo....a real exploration into his darkness. Finally someone who is dealing with thier depression in ways other than alcohol...Well acted...well written....Ron Moore did better than he thought.

I especially liked the final scene between the 3. The President is proving to be problematic now that she's not dieing..Ilook forward to the renewed tensions between her and Adama.
  • Not one of the best episodes.

I really hated to give this episode lower than a 9 but it just wasn't a typical BSG episode. I mean it was a good topic, but just executed wrong. We found out that Apollo had a pregnant girlfriend before the attack and now is sleeping with a prositute that has a kid hoping to make up for the loss on Caprica. What happened to his feelings for Starbuck and why wasn't she in this episode. Im tired of Dualla. Apollo is out of her league she needs to stick with Billy. Who will be the commander of the Pegasus?
  • A sad departure for a great show

2.5
    Sad to say, this is probably the worst episode of BSG in 2 seasons.

Take one part bad screenplay. Another part incoherant backstory no-one has ever heard of. A huge dose of characters-doing-things-they -just-wouldn't-do. Then mix it all together with a pinch of over-acting and a dash of bad guest spots. Overcook just long enough to make regular viewers want to throw things at the screen. And then you get this episode.

I love SF. I was a big ST:DS9 and Babylon 5 fan. Hell i even watch a healthy ammount of Stargate Atlantis. But when you spend one and a half seasons making a show a certain way, and then all of a sudden throw it out the window for one episode, you end up with nothing but shit.
  • This episode is worth skipping

I just read that Ron Moore does not like this episode, that it was poorly done.

I agree, and I'm happy to know that he feels that way about it. It would be terrible if he thought it was a worthy addition to the series. Hopefully this simply means that the episode was a fluke, and is NOT indicative of what's to come.

The first problem is that during the first few minutes of the episode, I kept feeling like I must have missed an entire episode. It just didn't pick up from last week very well.

On a positive note, I'm glad Fisk and Cain are gone, and I enjoyed the strong emphasis on developing Lee's character, but I felt the episode lacked something... a LOT of something.

• An interesting premise that strays far from the BSG norm...unfortunately, in terms of quality

This is one odd episode, especially for this series, which has proven time and again how versatile the writing staff can be. The problem is that the intentions are right there on the screen. All the pieces are on the board and there’s even a fairly simple strategy for pulling out a victory. The writers simply don’t execute well enough, and as a result, the final product is muddled, shallow, and more than a little convenient for a series this complex.

I was expecting to listen to the Ron Moore podcast and get some sense of what I was missing. I was sure that a more positive reaction would come with a more informed point of view. Imagine my surprise when Ron confirmed each and every issue I had with the episode, and in fact, added several more to the list.

If the previous episode used the “Lost” format relatively well, with a distinctly “BSG” flavor, then this episode was an example of how it can be applied incorrectly. In fact, this episode had many of the same problems that the less impressive “Lost” episodes exhibit: lack of strong connective threads between “past” and “present” and shallow treatment of a complex point of conflict.

In this case, the idea was to establish that Lee was trying to make up for his unfortunate dismissal of his pregnant lover back on Caprica, just before the Cylon attack, by taking responsibility for Siobhan and her daughter. Lee was supposed to be making serious assumptions about Siobhan’s desire for the same thing. Unfortunately, as hard as the writers and editors try to make it work, it doesn’t quite come together. I just didn’t feel it, and so when the music began to swell in the final act, it felt like empty sentimentalism.

The episode might have been salvaged in large part if Lee’s conflict with the black market might have been more complex. In the end, there is a solid message behind it all. As I’ve said before, the fleet is operating in a situation that defies governance. Civilization is, in many ways, a pleasant veneer that may not go as deep as Roslin would desire. Lee (and perhaps Adama) understands that a certain amount of free trade and barter is necessary, since the basic systems are still being established and fortified. Certainly Zarek understands it, especially since he operates best as the self-appointed spokesman for the oppressed masses.

Ron mentioned a number of ideas that never made it to the screen. For instance, the brothel concept and Gina’s place on Cloud Nine in the previous episode were never connected, though they were meant to be. Zarek’s connections to the black market weren’t clear enough, especially at the end. But far worse was the existence of a crime syndicate so powerful that it could eliminate the commander of a military vessel so easily and with relatively little consequence.

Phelan was written a bit too conventionally, and as Ron himself admits, the entire plot was simply not up to “BSG” standards. Some of the smaller moments were good: the Baltar/Roslin confrontation was quite good, even if Roslin’s reasons for the offer weren’t directly tied to the previous episode’s revelations. Clearly, that subplot is going to have serious consequences for the rest of the season.
  • Lee faces his own past while challenging a criminal enterprise.

So much of the post-apocalyptic genre consists of the protagonists successfully maintaining their humanity against all challenges. In reality, when stripped of traditional safety systems, I believe that humanity would slowly revert to barbarism. As Shevon says, “When your child is crying from hunger, you’ll do anything to make it stop.” In this episode, RDM does and excellent job of showing a society in a death spiral. It starts simply with an illegitimate market for innocent goods but left unchecked devolves into terrorism, extortion and white slavery.

Lee is able to stem the tide, although not to the President’s “zero tolerance” standard. Again, I feel that this is a realistic end. A questionable victory in which our hero sullies himself, loses something important and succeeds only in maintaining a shaky status quo.

It is too bad that RDM did not like this episode. Though it doesn’t advance the any of the main plot threads, we do get to learn a little about Lee’s background and see how tenuous life within the fleet really is.
  • Just plain weird. I though I was watch L&O or CSI not BSG this was a great episode.

6.1
    Question I have, no real answer did I see. Is Dee a slut or just in heat. I swear she act like an alley cat sniffing for a Tom cat.
    Second what is up with Lee you think he forgot about Starbuck. But no he got another chick on the side on another ship and she got baby he acts like it is his. Holy Batman what really go in on?
    Third was that murder or can Lee just shoot whom ever he wants to.
    I am totally confused this episode it did not feel as if it belongs nor did it work. The only thing I can think of was they want to show a normal day in the fleet. I guess life goes on even when you being hunted to extinction
  • We've gotten used to (almost) flawless episodes from the Battlestar Galactica camp. This episode was not like the others...

I love this series. It makes me think, and it satisfy my craving for pretty and poetical stuff on TV. It even makes me over look all of the annoying camera paning/ tilting/ shaking/ zooming.

This episode however, it had it's highlights, but it was far from great. In my opinion what made this episode worth watching was the sequence where young Adama actually shot the big bad. Normaly one would expect the 'hero' to be forced to shoot. Apollo just took care of the problem.

On the other hand, the repeated scenes with an suposedly earlyer girlfriend gave me nothing, I was quite annoyed by the repeat of them. I didn't like the whole hooker element either. It all seemed thrown together, and it made me think of Andromeda when it went from decent to bad.

We did learn something about the economics of the fleet. I was a little surprised to see that the need for food and other necessities was that bad. There's not been any focusing on that previousely.

The relation between Baltar and the President was barely touched. There was nothing about the stray nuke and the cylon movement. I was waiting for those stories to be developed some more, so I'm a little disapointed about that.

I like the new dark Apollo at the moment. I'm sure he'll not stay that way forever, but for now I like that developement.
  • A Lee-centric episode

In 'Black Market', writer/producer Moore takes a slightly different approach by focusing on Lee Adama and his inner demons. The result? A BG episode that strangely felt like one from 'Lost'.

Flashback scenes? Check. Character development? Check. "Soap-opera" scenes? Plenty. Though I share the sentiments of other reviewers by saying that 'Black Market' is nonetheless a quality BG episode, still I can't shake off some twinges of disappointment.

For the first time, BG churned up a story that did little to further the plotline - a "filler" episode if you will, reminiscent of the chronic aimless meandering that has plagued 'Lost's lacksluster second season.

Fortunately, this may turn out to be fluke. In his podcast commentary, Moore felt most of the fault lies squarely with the execution...that's it. That plus the fact that the storyline is just cooling down from that spectacular 'Resurrection Ship' two-part climax.

In that case, 'Black Market' is hopefully nothing more that a bump in the road taken by this rare series that knows EXACTLY where it's going.
  • This episode wasn't up to the usual standard and had a lot of wholes in the story

While I enjoyed the episode, I really felt it was patchy. By that I mean that there were some scenes that were really well done, but on the whole it didn't have that "Oh my God" factor that I would've expected given the subject.
    And I'm not talking about the Black Market part of it, I'm talking about the development of the Lee Adama character and the revelations about his private life, past and present.
    Given that this was supposed to be the episode that fleshed out the fact that he wasn't really the perfect officer/man that we all thought he was, I expected that these revelations would've been presented in such a way that we'd be shocked, instead they were almost anti-climactic.....and the info we were given was somewhat confusing as well.
    And what happened at the end?
    Was Tom Zarek lying and he was just waiting for Apollo to sort everyone out to take over the Black Market himself?
    Or was he up to his neck in it all along?
    And why was Apollo involved with a prostitute and if there is no stygma involved with prostitution (as was the case in the original BSG), why wouldn't she let him take her to Galactica and take care of her and her daughter? Surely if she's a prostitute simply to provide an income for herself so she can care for her daughter, then she could move to Galactica with Lee and because he would take care of her she could give up work.
    The whole ep left more questions than it answered and we know that these topics aren't going to be addressed again (because David Eick Ron Moore have said so).
    Even the scene where Apollo kills the head of the Black Market ring should have been an intense dramatic scene, but instead, when he pulled the trigger - in cold blood - my reaction was more "oh, he killed him - gee - that was naughty", instead of "Holy God!! He killed him in cold blood!!!! Judge, Jury and Executioner!!!"
    Anyway, I hope all that rambling is coherent enough to get my 'drift'.
    Nearly forgot - the thing - whatever it's supposed to be - with Dualla. I don't know if we're supposed to care - but so far the ambiguity of will they won't they, have they havn't they, has left me just disliking Dee and thinking she should stick with the bloke she has. And what is that anyway, didn't Apollo tell Starbuck he loved her in Home Part 2? And hasn't he been doing the whole jealousy thing with her? It seems he's been conducting all these flirtations while presumably getting his rocks off with the prostitute on Cloud 9? See what I mean by leaving all these questions???
    Apart from all that, I enjoyed the ep - missed seeing Starbuck though.
  • Don't like the new Apollo

7.6
    This episode was pretty disappointing compared to the rollercoaster ride of the first half of the season. The new emo Apollo really isn't working for me I could see why he would have something to mope about but the other Galactica members aren't having a pity party.

The introduction of two girlfriends we've never seen before didn't really tug at my interest. Where did they come from? How did he meet them? How are they important to the story? Frankly there not in my opinion.

Really I can't say that much about this episode just wasn't feeling the characters emotions because this story just didn't have the meat.
< 1 2