Battlestar Galactica

Blood on the Scales (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 06, 2009 on Syfy

• Amongst all our flaws and evil-doing, good prevails?

What an episode. Never have I felt such suspense and raw - almost childish - excitement since the Exodus episodes, which to my surprise were rated equal to the show's average rating. The show started with question marks, continued with the development of two opposing camps fighting for justice and the survival of humanity, hit some heart-stopping and almost cruel moments, and ended in joy and sorrow. Yes, joy and sorrow, opposing feelings and human conditions that we BSG fans experience simultaneously throughout this show; two opposing feelings that meet one another to send shivers down our spine; two opposing feelings that run in parallel with the themes of the show: death and survival, love and hate, and sense of loyalty and disloyalty. And Battlestar Galactica is sadly, or perhaps for the better, the only show that can make us feel this way.
    Neither Gaeta nor Zarek are evil. They're both flawed, much like the rest of the characters, both humans and cylons. Their actions were flawed. Their difference stood only on Gaeta's naivete and Zarek's cold prudence. What was NOT flawed, however, was that feeling of hate and distrust that they shared towards the cylons which drove them to plot and carry the coup. After all, the cylons did kill their friends, families, loved ones, and almost the entire human race. And yet, some of the cylons now stand with the humans as friends and allies, and some of the humans who fought for the survival of their race are executed and killed as enemies.
    The show still has a lot of questions to answer, and it is doubtful that all will be answered. Too bad that it will soon end.