Battlestar Galactica

Blood on the Scales (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 06, 2009 on Syfy

• The mutiny ends, but not without a high cost.

While still as emotionally charged as "The Oath," I think it was obvious to some that this insurrection would end with the deaths of Tom Zarek and Felix Gaeta. I called it myself, there was no turning back for them, and they got what they deserved.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I do still hate him for his actions, but in the end we were reminded that Gaeta was still human. When Zarek coldly ordered the deaths of the Quorum of Twelve, Gaeta really began to cringe over the mutiny, and realized just how deep he had gotten himself. As the episode rolls on, we get to see that there was a method to his madness. Roslin had ordered the Basestar to hide within the Fleet because she knew he wouldn't dare attack them and risk innocent lives. Gaeta also wanted to give Adama a trial, with Romo Lampkin as his lawyer, a great plot device. Zarek wanted to just kill him and get it over with, but his partner wanted to make this revolution legit in some way, so he could live with himself. Gaeta's final scene with Baltar was oddly touching, and a sign that regardless of what they did to each other, they were ready to put it to rest. Baltar wanted give his old aide some closure, his way of forgiving him, even though Gaeta stabbed him with a pen and almost had him airlocked, but who's bitter? Speaking of Baltar, for once this guy wants to man up. By running to the Basestar he was doing what he always did, save himself, but this time he truly regretted it. Despite his private loathing of his followers, he chose to take responsibility for them and return to Galactica. He even rejected a Six sleeping with him. Will someone please tell me what the deal is with the Six model and Baltar?

For the first time since Earth, Laura Roslin looked like a woman with a purpose. Her status as the religious figure meant to lead humanity to Earth was all for nothing, but she knew she couldn't let Zarek succeed and so she repurposed herself with a passion unlike anything ever seen before. Bravo.

Did anyone notice the irony of Samuel Anders taking a shot in the neck? Michael Trucco was involved in a car accident on December 2, 2007 that almost left him in a wheelchair, but instead left a scar on his neck. Ron Moore, it looks like this was your way of making perception meet reality.

The big question is, what now? Aaron Kelly might get a pass, but what about the other traitors? What's gonna happen to them now that the mutiny has been ended?

I get the distinct feeling that the Galactica itself will not survive the final episodes. Tyrol's disabling of the FTL (I always wondered what the drives looked like) revealed several cracks in one of the ship's walls. Anyways, this was a marvelous example of how great a show BSG really is.