Battlestar Galactica

Colonial Day

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 18, 2005 on Syfy

• “What’s the use of a good quotation if you can’t change it?”

6.7
    Ah...The West Wing. A show that could take even the most inane and tedious part of legistratian and turn it into something fun and witty. Of course that was before Aaron Sorkin left. Before the show came to rely on terrorists, kidnappings, wars and Mathew Perry. Before the show suffered a 90% drop in witty dialogue and fantastic verbal exchanges. Now The West Wing is a show with a talented cast who are just going through the motions in stories that are not better than your average day in parliament. Much like this week's episode of Battlestar Galactica. After five minutes I was as board as Baltar only unlike Baltar there where no pretty blond reporters going commando where I was.

Politics, unless written by Aaron Sorkin or, makes for boring drama and that is what we had with this episode lots and lots of people talking about the politics of the fleet and such which unfortunately is never that dramatic or thrilling. Did I give a toss who became the new Vice-President? No I was more interested in knowing how Baltar can be chosen as the representative of his colony without his knowledge or consent. Is the thing of twelve like a national service, you have to do it no mater what.

Meanwhile back on that utopia of originality Caprica Helo and Boomer are getting ready to break into a Cylon air base and steal a ship and get off planet. Halo has finally realised that there are Human Cylons while Boomer tries to argue that since they look human they might also have emotions and feelings. She might as well have a sight that reads "I am a very cute Cylon" on her head. But even if she did I doubt he would notice.

I got to admit I love the fact the there was no last minute stop the assassin before he strikes conclusion to the story. The fact that the attempted assassins were caught early on came as both a nice surprise and proof that all the good hired killers died out with the rest of humanity.

Good Bits
    -Boomer. Whether on rainy Caprica or dancing with Gaeta she is still cute.

-Baltar. Why is it all his best scenes take place in the men's room.

-Helo finally realising what the grey thing between his ears is for.

-Apollo smashing the bottle on that guy's head for no reason. It always good to see the good guys doing something nasty.

-Starbuck. She scrubs up well.

-Ellen Tigh, Cylon or not, is a total power hungry slut.

-Everybody got to have some fun for once.

Bad Bits
    -Unless written by Aaron Sorkin, shows about politics are never that interesting. Even Baltar was board.

-Has no one noticed they just elected a man who clearly has some mental health problems?

-Introducing new character this late in the game is always a bad idea.

-Tom Zarak. Less Nelson Madeela, more George W. Bush, slogans, buzzwords and all.