Battlestar Galactica

Colonial Day

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 18, 2005 on Syfy

• The One Where: They all enjoy a dance! (Politcally and literally.)

It was fun seeing all of the regular cast get all dolled up just before the end credits. A nice change of pace from their overused dreary robots-are-trying-to-kill-us-we-can't-sleep look. Something tells me that the small celebration was very much a glammed up calm before a very big storm. And speaking of changes in scenery, the concept of Cloud Nine is a neat one. Have we heard of it before now? You'd think the pilots (and everyone else) would be hitting up the place for some much needed fake-sun tanning every other day.

Not a lot actually happens here overall. What you need to take away from this episode is that Helo finally knows that Sharon is a cylon, and, during an odd turn of events, Gaius is now the vice-president. Two pretty hefty shifts in the narrative, wouldn't you say? They're clearly being set-up for the finale, so there's very little screen-time allowed for us to process such huge changes.

The pace is glacial even for this show. With a lot of political jargon thrown at us in quick succession. There's one small scrap involving Starbuck and Apollo, but that's about it on the action front. Long, arousing speeches are what's in store with this hour. I did kind of zone out here and there.

No fraks, one guy killed himself, head-Six and two cap six's, suggested murder, and Sharon wins here.

Not the best BSG has to offer, but far from the worst.