Battlestar Galactica

Crossroads, Part 1

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 18, 2007 on Syfy

• Today I felt that old Galactica had come back.

Whenever I talked to my friends about Galactica and said how awesome I thought it was, I was always asked back WHY was it so good. I answered that the main reason I became hooked on it was the way it was able to make me think. In every episode, I was presented with issues and situations that I had to face against my own values, forcing me to take sides, almost like I was part of the action itself. For a while, Galactica lost that ability and wandered off on love triangles and some (imho) excessive mythology.

Today I felt that old Galactica had come back. Almost all of the episode is focused on Baltar's trial, but Lee's relationship with his father is a major part of it too. Lee's choice of assisting Romo Lampkin in Baltar's defense has divided them even more, specially because the Admiral doesn't seem to be very neutral as a judge. More than once he showed he's somewhat biased towards finding Baltar guilty and protecting his friends from some hard questioning. Lee, on the other hand, seems lost. He lost Kara, he can't relate to his father, he doesn't seem to have any close friends and even his wife is preparing to leave. As for the trial itself, things seem to be going well for Baltar. Two key witnesses, Tigh and Roslin, are shown not to be very credible, either because of substance abuse or for having ulterior motives behind their arguments against Baltar.

Also, there's something strange aboard the ship. Tigh, Anders and Tory seem to be the only ones hearing some strange noises. Could this mean that they are... "special"? Something big is about to come up, and I can't wait to see what it is!