Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 1 (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 13, 2009 on Syfy

• With Galactica on the verge of falling apart, Admiral Adama readies the ship for what could be its final mission, as Baltar's Six warns that humanity's final chapter is near.

Perhaps a tad generous with the score of 8, but I think several factors have to be considered. Yes, as a stand alone episode, I would have scored this lower. It is, however, the first of a three-part episode and as a first act, I believe it did what needed to be done. I did initially dislike the strong emphasis on flashbacks. But I have come to agree with my wife (a miracle!) that they are setting up a review of the lives of the characters who are about to die. They also seem to give a decent motivation for the final actions these characters will commit. There were two crucial elements to the episode. First of course was the discovery of the Colony's location and the set-up for the final showdown. Somewhat less obvious perhaps was the foreshadowing of Baltar's destiny. The conversation between Baltar and Apollo about Baltar never having committed a selfless act is a major set-up for the finale. It seems to me that Baltar is going to sacrifice himself for the others and become a saviour. This is a crucial plot point and an interesting closure for perhapst the most intriguing characters on the show. I've always considered Baltar a sniveling coward wanted him to get his just desserts, but to have him undergo a true metamorphosis to altruism (that was also well thought out) would say a lot about what this series is about.