Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Daybreak, Part 2

Daybreak Part 2 was another perfect episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of action, drama, suspense, intrigue and character development. The new Admiral and President of the Colonies are selected, and Baltar makes a bold decision. Boomer makes one last decision herself and gets what she deserves. The dream which Roslin, Athena and Caprica Six all shared along with Baltar is played out in the action, and the ending of the episode left us with quite the cliffhanger for the season and series finale. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode to see how it all plays out!!!!!!!!!
  • This is it... we've waited five years for this moment. What an episode, what a finale ... what a show.

It's been months since this aired, yet I'm still confused, sad and happy all at the same time that things came to an end like they did. Sure, we never got to know what happened to Starbuck, but I've given that one tons of thought. It didn't really matter what she was. When you think about it, Baltar is so similar to Kara it's not even funny. I honestly think that Baltar has been dead from the beginning. Now hear me out on this one! When the colonies were nuked, Caprica six simply pushed Baltar to his knees as the entire building came down. Then all of a sudden, he's alive and well, and then he slowly makes his way off the planet and onto the Galactica. In the episode "The Hand of God", he takes a wild guess and points out the location of where the viper squadron needs to attack. I really don't think it was mere coincidence that he was spot on. He had created the cylon detector, didn't he also save Roslin's life in season two by curing her cancer? There's also the fact that he was seeing visions of Six. There was no explanation for this one, except for "he was seeing an angel". Kara also saw an "angel" in "Someone to watch over me". She sat next to a piano player who reminded her of her own father. Then at the end of the episode she's playing "All along the watchtower" and then suddenly this man disappears. Baltar was an "Angel", Kara Thrace was an "Angel" and so was Caprica Six. I'm more than satisfied with that explanation for all of it. These three characters all played their roles in "Gods" plan. Six pushed Baltar along the way, Baltar brings Hera into the "Opera House"/CIC and temporarily ends the war between Cylons and Man. And Starbuck? She ended the struggle. She solved the "All along the watchtower" puzzle, and she ended the journey.

I'm going to have to go back and watch things from the beginning, because I really think that the second time through will be so much better than the first now that I understand everything that happened. Battlestar Galactica, in your five years of run time on TV ... you've really outdone yourself. You've shown us that nobody is perfect, you've shown us that there is always hope and there is always a solution ... you've been an inspiration and you will not be forgotten.

So say we all.
  • How to wrap up a series 101

An almost perfect ending to an almost perfect show. I don't really understand how the people who gave bad reviews wanted it to end. Maybe they took different meanings from the important things that have been said over the 4 years of the show. The last survivors of the human race escaped their tormentors forever and got to live out their days on a so far unpolluted Earth and, eventually, re-built their species with the help of genetically similar beings. Is this not exactly what those survivors whose number is so important throughout the series were looking for from the moment they had to start running for their lives? This show will surely be remembered for all time as a classic which came to an end when the creators wanted it to and didn't out stay it's welcome, as so many American TV shows seem to. All 3 parts of the finale left me completely satisfied and eager for The Plan to be revealed to me
  • the final 2 episodes were the best written in the last 2 years...... this show will be rerun in many many years to come and the true significance of the story, in time... maybe be understood by all.

an unbelivable ending to the most well writen shown in the last 2 years. (apart from lost).
    every angle was covered, every story wrapped up, every purpose of every characters actions was displayed, truly a masterpeice of writting and directing.
    the final moments of the double episode had me at total awe....... congratulations to all envolved in the show.
    hope that this year the show receives all the awards and recognition it deserves.
    im very sad to see it end.... but will enjoy the reruns forever......

we should all take note from the subconcience messages and do all we can to prevent self anialation in the long run.
  • Every little plot point all the way through the series culiminated in one of the best conclusions to a television show I've ever seen. It made me cry at the end, it was that good.

First and foremost, people need to take a step back and probably rewatch the entire show all the way through before hating the writers because of their ending.

From the beginning of the series I knew this as a Suspenseful, Scifi-ish, Drama that would weave and swerve and take us all for a fun ride. At the end they took us to the height of the ride and dropped us from the cliff, as if the world was ending...and then dropped us on a nice landing pad as if we had just come down....a little bumpy, but good.

1) The Writing was PERFECT, They wrapped up all their loose ends that they needed to, left enough for people to think about and ask questions if they want(and create fanfiction out the yin-yang), and stayed true to their main themes throughout the entire production run.

2) The Acting was good...in fact most of these actors were never big names, but I will forever remember them for the work they put out...they were all given very difficult roles to portray and they did them beautifully, I was amazed.

3) If you were watching for all the small issues...every little plot point and how it tied into the big picture, and looking at it all as a story with a message at the end, then you were watching what I was watching. If you watched a show with awesome action and good plot but that "shortchanged" you with the ending, then you weren't watching it as it was intended...remember the messages throughout the show, this was all very much set up to tell a moral or an ending at the end.

This show was very much written with the Well-Made Play Formula and the Spirit of the Greek Tragedies in mind. The Theatre and Literature Scholars of the group can agree with me...it was written with the Overarchign story the entire time...very much a Greek Tragedy that happens to twist the ending...but leaving a lot of loose ends...Euripides is a good starting point. This show was never meant to be something that was 'just a scifi show', it was always meant as a work of art and a complete story, and this ended exactly how every story should.

"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

So Say We All!
  • Part two: The dramatic apex (review is of all three episodes of the finale).

Well. That was a turn up for the books, wasn't it? While these episodes were broadcast separately (well, 419 was at any rate), Ronald D. Moore penned the three instalments as one script, one movie if you will, so I feel it best to treat them as such in this review. And in so doing, it becomes very clear that there is an intentional concentric structure to the piece. The story essentially moves from chessboard manoeuvring in its first hour to action/emotional apex in its second and then to introspection and finally, rest in its third. There's a distinctly poignant beauty in this most novel-esque narratology, anchored in the one element common to all aspects: the pre-Fall flashbacks. These mire the action in the trope that has always been at the core of the 21st Century Battlestar Galactica: the human character and all its inherent quirks and faults. Moore is wise to incorporate these moments into the finale, despite the inevitable complaints that will arise from many corners that they take up time that could be 'better spent' giving us more coherent answers to whatever minutiae that have been left dangling over the years. And while I will concede that certain aspects of the flashbacks could perhaps have done with a little more treatment (Roslin's in particular lacks any particular oomph and falls a little flat), 'Daybreak' was never obliged to neatly tie up every question, no matter how irrelevant, that has arisen over the years. In fact, if it had, it would arguably have been a disappointment, feeling more like a laundry list than a believable, engaging and satisfying goodbye to the characters that we've come to know and love. The answers we DO get, and the action that they are tied up in, are generally excellent: they make up a significant proportion of the dramatically intense second hour which, unquestionably, is the best aspect of the entire finale. There's tension and suspense galore here, not to mention some stellar special effects, a whole hell of a lot of blood and some damn fine confrontational scenes, culminating in Baltar and Six's brilliant encounter at the 'Opera House'. There are kinks, unfortunately, and they begin to show in the third act as some highly illogical plot manoeuvring jeopardises the believability of the plot. So the Galacticans find what we know as Earth, a planet populated with primitives, and they... decide to abandon everything and start again? You're telling me that 37,000 people would blindly agree to fly all of their technology into the Sun and live, not just without creature comforts, but without basic things like medical science?! Oh yeah, we'll just get rid of all of our advances in childbirth and let what, like, 30% of women die before the sprog pops out? Great idea! Transportation, communication, INSULATION? Oh shucks, who needs 'em, eh? I have a really hard time buying any of this; it smells pungently of a quick fix, driven by a misguided need to tie the events of the Galactica world into our own. The somewhat conservative allegory - that our predilections for technological advancement will only lead to our downfall - functioned as metaphor up to this point, but now it's just blatant finger-pointing, especially when one takes the rather patronising closing scene into consideration. Moore, you really needn't have. Meaning arguably works better when it is not tied around a 70 tonne anvil, towering over your head. The last two or three minutes are a huge let-down as a result of this: they come across as preachy, gratuitous and unnecessary rather than thought-provoking and poignant. It's a shame really as there's a great deal to enjoy in the 'new Earth' scenes: yes, they're rather pedestrian at times but just check out the acting skills on display and the beautiful dialogue they're all given... Adama and Roslin, in particular, even if his decision to bugger off and build that cabin away from everyone is just plain ludicrous. And what exactly was Starbuck, anyway? An angel? Meh. I'd rather hoped Moore wouldn't take the obvious religious route out but alas, never mind. Still, when considered collectively, the three parts of 'Daybreak' make for a generally engaging and satisfying finale. They take that most important of facets as their dramatic core - character - and run with it, giving closure and finality to our favourite players while also delivering some of the finest, and most explosive, dramatic moments the show has ever seen. It's a pity that the 'comedown', if you will, contains a number of very prominent flaws that serve to distract the viewer's attention from the good and leave a slightly bitter after-taste. 'Daybreak' is not the perfect crescendo we had come to expect from this oh-so-wonderful of shows, but perhaps our expectations shouldn't have been so high. It's enjoyable nonetheless and at the end of the day, that'll do for me.
  • The survivors of the 12 colonies find themselves, God, and Earth - all in two hours. About the time it takes, apparently, to destroy a legend.

I'll go out on a limp here and say: Whoever liked this series finale, can not have liked or, at least, understood the entire show that came before it. The second part of this two-hour cr..., sorry, wrap-up took all the worst things about Battlestar Galactica and made them the definitive end point for what could have been one of the greatest TV series of the new millenium. What are we left with in the end? Religious sermons and pre-modern angst. A show that was so complex, so nuanced over it's 5-year run, boiled down to affirming the existence of capital 'G' god and his plan behind the existence of humankind and demonizing technological progress as a constant threat to it's very survival. It hardly gets more reactionary than this. Comprehensive destiny, angelic guidance and an entire array inpalatably obtrusive return-to-your-roots anti-progressive gestures ... and all that on top of a shocking amount of plotholes needlessly left open. All I could say after two hours was: Frakk that! It took the writers two hours to utterly ruin four seasons of greatness, to turn one of the best shows in years into one of the most repulsive, which no amount of fine acting (which, no less, also withered away with the excessive sappiness of the second hour of the finale) could correct. I was literally appalled. Now, the memory Battlestar Galactica will certainly stick with me for years to come. Unfortunately, it's for all the wrong reasons.
  • Predictable lightweight ending.

In the "Last Fraking Special" the head writer spoke about how this show departs from the usual SciFi shows in that it is very "dark." Where did the darkness go? Instead we see a loose, predictable, and poorly tied up story using flashbacks. Why is backstory on Caprica so important all of a sudden? Clearly the writers had no idea where to go , so they decided to take the "Lost" route.

If they really wanted to go "dark" they would have left everyone dead or dying and perhaps (to allow for some hope) have Hera and Athena or Starbuck end up in a viper somewhere above the atmosphere of an Earthlike planet. But they had to go for the "happy" ending. I'm guessing Galen founds Scotland. Why wouldn't Adama come back to get others after Roselin dies? He decides he doesn't have to be a leader anymore? It's just everyone for himself. This makes no sense.

The "explanation" for Starbuck also leaves a lot to be desired. Everyone could see, touch, feel, and hear this angel who did not know she was an angel? Huh?!

This ending was cheap, cheesy and desired to make people happy instead of keeping with the intellectually challenging nature of the show. Here are a couple of questions I still have. Why don't humans have some sort of "machine" parts if we are part Cylon? Why didn't the metal cylons just start shooting and killing everyone? Why didn't Starbuck just stay with Anders instead of going back to New Earth with Apollo? I'm sad for a mediocre ending to a great show. I guess they decided to go the Harry Potter route.
  • Next time you watch a show, try to pay attention to what it does best. Don't complain about the lack of answers when the show is profoundly known for not giving answers to questions. But you know what? The finale wasn't about that, it was about goodbyes.

Apparently, according to a number of people, if you liked Battlestar Galactica's Day Break Part 3, you missed the entire point of the show. I feel like this is one giant hypocritcal slap in the face from suspense junkies who were never in it from the beginning, or for the real ride. I mean, have you even watched this show?

Huh? When was this show ever known to answer the questions we seeked? But this is something I want to touch on before I actually review this two parter, I don't know what show you were watching for the last 2 years, but Battlestar was never about the mysteries. And the more and more the writers started to create mysteries in season 3 and 4, the more and more out of touch they became with the show. Drenched in knee deep mythology, and mysteries that probably demanded their own backstories, Kara the harbringer of death (more on that later), the head characters (more on that later), elements of the story that were fascinating, and at the same time, overwhelming in a bad way. What this series essentially did, was make everything right.

Who gives a **** what Kara is? Why do you care so much? If you'd even watched the entire fourth season, you'd notice they pretty much tell you to stop caring about that before these last three episodes. In fact, Gauis Baltar brings it up to everyone on Galactica, even calls her out, and nobody gave a ****. Just like nobody would give a **** if Kara got them all to Earth, why ruin the perfect moment by giving a hokey name to what Kara is or isn't? What difference does it make? They made it to earth!!!. The show was never about frakkin Kara Thrace and her destiny, the more people complain about this, the less I care about their opinion. Did the writers write themselves in a corner? Yes. Thankfully it shouldn't matter in the overall scale, Kara Thrace saved the fleet. Secondly, there's this bull that the finale was bad because God was involved. Well I don't know where to start other than the very beginning wher Baltar was being haunted by a messenger of God, are you kidding me, it's been with the show since the very beginning, when did this become such a big problem? You've been told what Head Six is, and what Head Baltar is, and you've been reaffirmed earlier this season with Anders confirming it. My point isn't that some of you hacks should be more aware of plot developments, my point is.. no wait, that's exactly my point. Did any of you watch the flashbacks? You all complain that this was all apart of God's plan, did you evne get what the flashbacks were about? Lol, they're the exact opposite arguement that God was responsible for everything that just happened. Every single flashback is the specific arguement against the head characters being the main catalyst for all of this, but we're too dense to appreciate the ending.

Anyways, it was a fantastic finale. I got to see the best character moments in the entire series (Lee's speech, Tyrol heading off on his own, and Baltar's farming speech was tragic), with some of the best action sequences ever. Who the frak gives a **** about Kara Thrace and her special destiny? You shouldn't, you never should.
  • Incredible ending. Interestingly, the ending is faithful to the original plan for the first BSG but was too controversial in the late 1970s. What I found most interesting was a number of possible endings.

If you use the iTunes breakout of "Part 2" and "Part 3", what's interesting is that the show could have ended at the end of Part 2 (albeit they wouldn't have 100% tied up every storyline). Then, it could have ended when they collectively decided to settle earth and send the fleet into the sun (by the way, why don't we do that with nuclear waste? But I digress). Then they could have ended with Athena, Helo, and Athena walking off into the horizon...but again they didn't. The real end seems to have drawn the ire of many of the reviewers on tv.com (but not as much those who vote). But why not get us to seriously consider where we are and how our technology has already begun to dwarf our morality?

I give a hearty thumbs up to a well thought out series, beginning to end. I guess old Cavil and crew spent out their days jumping to look for an enemy that no longer exists. An apt metaphor for modern day life as well.

Be seeing you,
    BK13
  • Horrible! The first hour, sans-flashbacks, was amazing. The special effects were top notch! Things were going so well, and then the colonial fleet gets Hera back on Galactica's bridge...

Horrible!

The first hour, sans-flashbacks, was amazing. The special effects were top notch! Things were going so well, and then the colonial fleet gets Hera back on Galactica's bridge. Cavil and his little army of centurions march from the colony ship all the way to Galactica's bridge, killing EVERYONE in their path, gets on the brige, grabs Hera, takes her as a hostage and demands resurrection technology. The colonials agree to give him resurrection. The **** chief kills Tori because she killed Cali. The same Cali who cheated on the chief, then pawned off a baby that wasn't the chief's, as his own. Let's not forget how much she hated the chief because he was a Cylon. Let us also not forget that the chief never really loved Cali, he always wanted Boomer. So yeah, the chief kills Tori, and as a result Cavil can't get resurrection technology.

Bad ass Cavil is on the bridge of Galactica, The hybrids on the colony ship are no longer confused, the Cylons were wiping the floor with the colonial fleet. All he has to do is tell them to start attacking again, and kill Hera, and take as many people on the bridge with him as he can. Everyone on the bridge is confused, so he'd have had lots of time to do this. But what does he do?

He takes the gun from Hera's head and puts it in his mouth, then pulls the trigger!!! WHAT??!?! Are you kidding?!? Cavil, the big bad ass, is suicidal? C'mon, you guys couldn't come up with a better way to get rid of him than that?

After that the story went downhill fast, it was all lovey dovey, they lived happily ever after, let's forgo technology, let's drive all our ships into the sun, let's also keep some raptors on the planet even though we're giving up on technology. this episode was friggin lame. Oh, and in the process of answering questions, they raised even more questions. What was Starbuck? Who is this male God they speak of? like... WTH?

By the way, wasn't the musical notes the location of the Cylon colony? How'd it become the location of earth?

They better make a movie or something to make up for this crap.
  • Prime example of writers backing themselves into a corner.

Simply put, the finale for this series was terrible. After some of the best writing I have ever seen on television for the first three seasons, the show began to fall apart in its final stretch and by this episode it was bursting at the seams. Rife with irrational character actions, pointless endeavors, and nonsensical plot endings, this series finale kicked off with Daybreak part 2, which is what I will detail in this review (my review for the second half will be listed under part 3). This episode was mostly where the action occurred, but it was poorly executed: the reasons for risking thousands to retrieve Hera is never actually explained (nor did it lead to anything significant), and the actual "break in and get her out" action was entirely lacking of tension or suspense. They basically dropped in, got shot at/shot people, and walked into Hera. The small scene with Boomer dying was a nice touch, as was the brief flashback. Unfortunately, it did little to make up for the lack of plot. No significant character deaths occurred to add believability to the danger these characters were in during this last, all out assault on the cylons. There were many, many places where characters or events were simply nonsensical and you could tell the writers were just trying to tie up loose ends, however poorly. To detail them all would take forever, so here is just one prime example: Tyrol choking out Tory Foster over her killing Calli, who he himself implied he never really loved but settled for and cheated on him, effectively ruining peace between the cylons and humans despite the fact that everyone was apparently cool with Tigh killing Ellen and not to mention the past thousands of years of history they all had, and then afterward everyone is just like "oh hey it's cool man" despite the fact that he effectively ruined the peace at stake for both races over one person's death.

It was moments like these all over the finale that ultimately made it one of the worst episodes to date. Things managed to get even worse, however, during the second part of the finale, Daybreak 3, which is reviewed separately.
  • Worst episode in a long downhill run.

I've been watching this series for all of the four seasons now, always waiting for it to take a good turn. Alas, after a very strong start it's been going downhill all along resulting in a super boring series finale. In short, this series is the Bold and Beuatiful of SciFi. A load of psychological crap instead of good action. Reasonable special effects to be sure, but long monologs of super thin characters always accompanied by music to cry by. I'm very sorry that I ever started watching this series. It's time that I will never get back. Hope for better luck next time.
  • A great show comes to a close, and so does my blog...

I thought about posting last night, but I've gotten into a rhythm this season with letting the episode marinate in my brain overnight and then posting on Saturday morning. I know a lot of people TiVo shows nowadays (myself included) and end up watching the episode later that night, the next day or the next week, so there isn't a huge rush to get something up.

Was it a great finale? Absolutely. Was I blown away? Not entirely.

Let's start at the beginning (which is always a good place to start) - more flashbacks of life on Caprica. Bill is thinking about retiring and entering the private sector, Roslin has a blind date with a former student, Lee gets to know Kara. Great, let's move on.

Back in the future, Baltar's vision tells him that he will "take mankind's remnants and guide them to their end." Last week, after watching him struggle with the decision in the hanger, I wondered whether or not Gaius would in fact volunteer to go along with the rescue mission. The truth is that it should have been obvious that he would. Creator Ronald D. Moore wasn't about to take one of the main players out of the game in crunch time.

To read the rest...

(Your clicks pay my salary.)
  • Final battle, final chapter..

So.. Final chapter is starting and they are going to battle. Everyone has their purpose, everyone has their destiny and maybe, it feels like everyone's life has been leading them to this point - there and now.

This episode is massive, having amazing visual effects like the start of the battle before Sam neutralizes the hybrids on Colony. And then the battle itself - so much happening all around - vipers, cylons, raptors.. explosions, firing everywhere and those rocks.. Really powerful and from that on, you are just nailed to the screen.

I think the choice Boomer made was so predictable but it did it's part and somehow gave redemption to that char. And then Roslin, going after Hera.. Halo being shot.. stunning episode..

And ofcourse the ending.. You cannot not mention it.. the standoff in C&C, the trust.. the choices.. brilliant. It felt much more like ending than coming episode.. It was the ending of the chapter.. ending of story, the plot..
  • Interesting twist of the plot but at times seems shallow and uncharacteristic of the overall tone of the show.

I really expected a lot more from the series finale especially after watching the one hour special a couple of days ago. It is a great ending of one of the best Sci-Fi shows ever made but it does seems like they ran out of steam at the end. You would think that Galactica does not have the ability to jump after it gets stuck in the Cylon base but then all of a sudden it does make a jump. At that point you start wondering why didn't they do that as soon as Hera was on board. The final five had previously said that they will never give the Cylons the secret of resurrection yet they agree to do that as if it was no big deal. Then everyone decides to forget about all the technology that they are so used to and start living as prehistoric men used to live. Well I'm sorry but given the direction of the character development this last one is a total patchwork. The humans have never completely agreed on any single thing and considering that they have finally found what seems to be a promise of a new life and the Cylons are more or less gone ( leaders dead ) there is no incentive and no real believable justification for the actions. Honestly, if the show had ended with the ships jumping close to Earth it would have been a perfect ending and the small indiscrepancies would have never bother me or anyone else. At least that way you know that the war is over that there is a hope for a new beginning and you get to make up your own mind as to what might happen afterwards. Instead you are force fed this crap about human evolution, angels watching over us, god, etc. Seriously what gave out at the end? You had to fill up some air time or what?
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! BSG is over, the agony, the pain, the absolute brilliant, well-thought through ending! Thank you RDM and Eick, thank you so much!

BSG has been and always will be a series that communicated in brute force the things we hold dear, the things we fear and the things we ignore. Wether you believe in God, Gods or likewise, or wether you are a person that believes in science, one thing is clear, in all aspects of belief. There is no good, there is no bad, there is only that which you make of yourself. A destiny is only as good as the path you choose, the path you follow and the ultimate goal you arrive at! This finale contained all of that and so much more. There was so much ground covered that, having seen Part I last week, I struggled to believe that RDM could pull it off -- and pull it off he did!

We arrive at a conclusion that was full of twists, full of turns and ultimately a satisfying feast of answers which at no one point felt rushed, out-there or scrapped. Each character came to his or her journeys end, a journey few could have expected to turn out as it did. The Galactica got a send-of worthy of its name. After the New Caprica mission, I always felt that if they did large-scale operations like that again, it would be difficult, neigh impossible to top, yet top they did. Adding a little Star Trek ramming into the twist, it was great to see that even though the ship was frail, falling apart, old, she still had enough in her to top in the last large battle. The Opera House was revealed. Intercut with what was really happening, it felt so right. That the entire Opera House sequence came true was also beyond anything a fan could hope for. Even those that believe this was a short change episode, I strongly dissagree. We had the answer, that this was the ultimate destination, our interpretations in the beginning were so wrong, yet here, it made perfect sense. Was Baltar evil? No, he had a path, and on many occasions the option to leave that path, yet he stayed true, he came through in the end. From a character that was not liked, his final bow came as the greatest spark of hope. His head explained, and Caprica's head explained was just the sweet cherry on top. We all knew that by the end, President Roslyn had to leave us. I feared that Admiral Adama would not go on, having lost so much, gone through so much, so its only a testament to the character, that he chose to go on, the live the dream he had on the sands of New Caprica and make those come true, in honour of her! What a wonderful and majestically romantic scene that was. Kara was always a wild card. Who was she, had she really returned? Was she a harpinger of death? Yes, ultimately she was, but not to the ones we thought. She helped the humans survive, but ultimately brought the cylons down. Standing in the field with Lee Adama, knowing her journey was finished, let me as the viewer know, that she had no more story to be told. She could be with Anders, eagerly awaiting her on the other side, having fullfilled his dream of perfection as well and honoured by giving the Galactica and the Fleet a fitting send off. So we come to the end, the 5 year journed, the exodus of the Colonies, with all their pains, their sorrow, their joys and their dreams. They have made it, they have survived, and they have sparked a new beginning. They arrived home, on Earth.

Does the 150,000 year ending make sense? A few here say that the obvious should not have been stated, that it was best left unsaid. From my perspective, I feel that it was very fitting. Although the circle seemed to have been broken, the final scene served as a reminder, a reminder that nothing remains status quo, that peace cannot remain if it is not constantly worked at, that progress should not go at the cost of humanity, of those virtues that made to Colonies start over. A shadow that, even though the circle might have been broken, there is always a risk that it could start again... all of this has happened before and all of it will happen again... those words remained in my final thoughts, because all of it has happened, and all of it will happen again, just not the same as before. Break one circle, create a new, nothing is ever gone.

And yes RDM, you are sexeh! nice of you to make an appearence! All in all, I was very pleased with the ending, so much has been covered here, but there is so much left unsaid. The final question will be answered in the end....

"What was their plan?"
  • A fitting but frustrating end.

The first hour of it gets a 20 out of 10. The best hour of Galactica this season, not because of the battle, but the way it was handled. The first small glimpse of metallic cylons on the side of Galactica, the allocation of duties - until Hoshi was picked admiral and the lawyer as president, I did not feel the absence of people because we were surrounded by monumental people. At that point it became clear what it means to have 38000 survivors... Anders on the deck in his "tub". Wow, shivers everywhere!

The attack itself, the internal part was a surgeon's blade - precise, deadly. Death of Boomer and the "opera" scene and later the deck scene with the 5 was, to me, the actual culmination of the series. I didn't even mind much that there was a cold day in hell chance that Anders was actually going to accomplish what they all thought he must - it had to happen, I suppose. Then, it was time to peak off and bring us home. To use the turning point, the precipice, to lead us to the final descent.

And man, was it a horrible display, marked by two things: first off, Baltar's speach to end the hostilities was weak and ridiculous, especially considering who he was talking to. I noticed this before - if Moore and Eick have a weakness, that's not finding angelic words for angelic purposes - and this will come also into play later. The second was the "dead man's nuke" play for jump starting the final Galactica's jump. FAR too much coincidence at this point. That part gets a 0 out of 10.

So, there we went on the final descent, and Earth was upon us, grass was upon us, the end was upon us. It came and went, I suppose, with no special mention (except Baltar's "I know how to farm", which was his best 5 seconds in the entire series). I like the answer to the question "how could have humans evolved on several continents at once", and at this point I took what satisfaction I could get.

Back to the angellical: Kara's exit was handled in a human way and it did not fit the enormity of the sentiment in the least - but I guess good angels will work in mysterious ways; as did head Baltar and 6 in the final frames of the future. This part will, no doubt, come under intense scrutiny. To me, it's fine - cycles are important, space is curved, etc. However, again, handling of these über-creatures in fashion that Morre & Eick did cheapened and soured the whole deal. Either you have angels/higher power creatures as such or you have them as "cheap" humans. Playing them as both so suddenly is just indecisive, like a wet dream came to life, but definitely not contributing to the overall frame. Is it a game, existence? Or a "serious matter for serious men and gods"? Was it futile to turn away all the technology just to have it built-up 150000 years later? Is it wrong to build robots? And where, pray tell, is the Devil. OK, I'm rambling, but that's what the writers left us with, and it is ultimately underwhelming.

We didn't need all this in the last episode. I would have expected better planning, whichever way it took us.

I'll be sorry to let Galactica go - it gave us hours and hours of brilliance - it's just that the last hour wasn't it.

I didn't want this series to rest in peace, and I suppose neither did the writers, but they did not commit fully, and in the end I needed more to achieve the catharsis that was to be my part as a viewer in, and is, the end.
  • It's the kind of episode that makes you wake up the next morning with your mind still blown, and makes you go "I finally understand what BSG is all about." (Spoilers abound!)

Farewell, Battlestar Galactica. You will be missed, and what a way to go out!

After the end of 4.0, I was devistated. Earth was gone, nuked, there was no hope. I felt the series spiraling and when I saw that the finale was named Daybreak I was fully prepared to believe it was NOT going to be uplifting; that in some Joss-ian manner we were going to be led into this trap of expecting happiness.

As Kara said in the miniseries, it's good to be wrong. Sure, I cried my eyes out time and again throughout the episode, and woke up this morning having to deal with my lost loved ones. But all in all, this brought the series to the perfect conclusion.

Every character you thought was irredeemable, either got their moment of heroism or got their comeupance. I went into the finale with five questions- What is Kara and her destiny? What is Head!Six? What's up with the Opera House? What's up with All Along The Watchtower? and Will they have a place to settle?

All of my questions got answered, and I was unbelievably pleased with how everything played out. The story line flowed together seamlessly, such that when I go back and watch any given episode I see how it all led to that conclusion.

And best of all, it was uplifting. They did find a planet, and that planet is OUR Earth, because they named it as such. Hera, the half-human half-cylon hybrid child is our ancestor. We, the viewers, our the culmination of their struggle; and it's discussion of the divine forces- how it doesn't matter if they're Gods, God, or whatever are on no one's side and it's a force of nature, combined with Hera as our ancestor- really gives us hope for a peaceful coexistence in our lives today.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again. The final scene, set in present day, with the Angels Head!Six and Head!Gaius looking over us, with Six's positive speech about how things might just go right this time, law of averages and all that. It makes you as the viewer think about what Lee said back in Revelations- All this has happened before, but it doesn't have to happen again. So say we all!
  • Cheal Tricks From Savvy Guys

Concluding a complex and labyrinthine show presents huge challenges. The Producers face their own demons, the (sometimes) rabid fans, the network, et. al in wrapping it up.

I feel BSG's run was just about right. Though previous seasons offered filler shows, the last season many times lowered the usually crisp and thought provoking canon into High School dramatics. To have prolonged the agony would have further cheapened one of TV's best dramas. Which is where I feel it ended.

That said, and based on the rating, I am disappointed. Correlating the span of humanity's history to a Bob Dylan penned ballad is unsatisfying. It's cheap and lazy in the same way others use films within films to state their viewpoint instead of baring their own souls. (Think of films or TV shows plugging in a clip from another movie (or music) to make a point.)

The choice was a good one, for "All Along The Watchtower" is based on Isaiah 21, Verses 5-9:

"Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise ye princes, and prepare the shield./For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth./And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels; and he hearkened diligently with such heed./...And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground."

Dylan wrote the song during a crisis (a serious motorcycle accident) causing a violent change in his life and career. Perhaps he suffered a spiritual crisis as well. Conversely, I found the Ep did present a few wonderful moments, and I wasn't thrown by the ambiguity - Starbuck's mysterious nature. (Okay, she's a supernatural being, as, evidently, are Gaius and 6.) Life isn't always clear.

Roslin's death was touching, as were the character's send offs.

I really dug the show's inherent nihilism, however, shaking the cycle of violence in our faces with such ferverence caused the message, through Dylan, to be delivered with tongue somewhat in cheek.

BSG will remain close to my heart, but the finale didn't, as I hoped, touch my soul.
  • BSG - the series final - OMG

I've read other comments and I have to agree with at least some of them. No, you can't keep everyone happy with a FINAL episode. There are those of us that don't want it to ever end. However this was above and beyond any other series final I have ever seen. Yes, I saw the original BSG however many years ago that was and it made me wary of watching this one. As soon as I did however, I was hooked. I love Kara and Lee and everyone else, the writers and actors did the originals MORE than justice. No the ending wasn't what I wanted, it was better. I wanted Kara and Lee together, but looking back, they couldn't be. Kara NEVER came home!!! As the romantic that I am, the ending for the admiral and madam president was beyond perfect. Sad for the chief but, he was always a bit of a loner. Hera and her mummy and daddy got to play happy families, at least for a little while. and as for Guyus, he really proved he was beyond insanity. He came through at the end (although I must admit, I still don't trust the bastard!) and as terrified as he was he fought along side six and got to live with her "happily ever after". I think they were both pretty weird from the onset! Overall 10+ I'm overwhelmed that the series is over but they did a brilliant job with the end if, as someone else has said, they could delete those last two minutes. WTF??? Sci-fi fans don't need life lessons. We watch sci-fi to get away from that crap....................
  • Whichever way you chose to end a series, you can't please all the people all of the time, but for me, I found it very satisfying.

I can see there are already a few reviews in the 'don't like' camp, but I think what we need to remember is that we've loved this series because of it's characters, so when their send-off is as poignant as this, I don't understand why some people feel short-changed.

Yes, there a couple of bits which could be minor niggles - eg: leaving themselves essentially undefended with known hostiles still 'out there' etc, but getting hung up on that really doesn't do the show justice.

From the outset, the entire journey has been a leap of faith, and this core principle resonates right through to the final decisions of the fleet to take a clean slate and have faith that the cycle is finally broken.

What this leaves us with is the characters, the heart of the show, finding their individual peace in whatever form that takes, delivered in an at-times-emotional package which gives the series an honourable and fitting send off, and for me as a viewer, ends a journey that I'm glad I went on.
  • If only there hadn't been the last couple minutes!

Battlestar Galactica has always been the thinking man's sci-fi series; a tongue-in-cheek warning about scientific advancement, without preaching the (VERY) obvious fact that Earth (our real Earth) is heading in the same direction. That is, until we see "150,000 years later" flash across our screens. REVEAL: Present Day New York. We hear a Six-like voice talking about the discovery of Mesopotamian Eve (aka Hera) in Tanzania. Is this a descendant of Caprica? NO! In fact, it's none other than Caprica and Baltar's imaginary versions of each-other. What are they there to do? RUIN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! After four seasons of absolute sci-fi genius, we witness our beloved space opera shatter into a disappointing mess, that (and I may be saying this in a heat of passion that I will one day regret) has ruined the series for me. All because it didn't end a couple minutes sooner. Why, oh why did the writers suddenly decide to give us that cheesy, awkward end to a beautiful series. Did no one tell them that it was a terrible idea? It didn't fit with the series at all. It was like the writers decided to use the series' last breath of life to spell out a moral to the story, and to use a (failed) scare-tactic to make us think about the direction of our society. "Does this thriving metropolis look familiar? Like Kobol? Like Earth? Like Caprica? Will history repeat itself again? Is (our) Earth, too, doomed to destruction by it's own hand? Time will tell!"

In short, those last couple minutes ruined what I considered to be a perfect finale. And knowing that's how the series ends, I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it a second time through. Thanks for nothing, Moore and Eick. You had a great run, took us along for the ride, and as a final goodbye, you gave us the finger.
  • Worst ending since Blake's Seven

I feel sick. I can't believe they went all Luddite and threw away all their tech. Here I was thinking Galactica 1980 couldn't be topped in pointless stupidity.

Starbuck was an angel? Really? REALLY?

Hera is mitochondrial Eve? Really? F'ing Eve? This replacement of primitive man by space aliens was a funny gag in Hitchikers Guide but in this context it was freaking horrible.

38,000 plus humans and thousands more cylons decide to go primitive? No bjections. No humans that want to continue on elsewhere are free to go. They ALL decided to hell with medical science and all science for that matter. Let's all live in huts and get eaten by lions when we can't run faster than everyone else. Let's have slaves instead of machines. Let's have half the women die in childbirth. Let's half half our children die before the reach the age of three. What a steaming load of B.S.

I am most disgusted by all the high praise the show is getting. Did you all turn off your sets right after they jumped to Earth. Oh, sorry. Earth mark II. Another HHGTG ripoff. Did the nice little fatalistic "God is so... SUPER!" ending make you feel safe.

This finale was a betrayal to science fiction. It was a betrayal to common sense. It just plain SUCKED.
  • The triumph of ignorance and superstition over knowledge and reason.

Battlestar Galactica has been one of the greatest television series ever to air. It has been challenging, smart and engaged me as much as any show ever has.

The series finale left me disappointed. While it was a strong front runner in my mind that they would find their way to our Earth- it wasn't clear whether it would be the distant past and they were our ancestors - or if it would be a contemporary Earth.

What I didn't see coming was that the show would celebrate the metaphorical burning of the library as they turned their back on reason and knowledge to embrace ignorance and superstition.

There were parts of the finale that were touching emotionally but that was diluted by the distaste I had for the wilful discarding of generations of hard won knowledge to pursue the short, painful life of savages.

They had the stars and they gave them up for high infant mortality, 30 year life spans and using slaves instead of machines.

It makes no sense to do this with the Cylons still out there. Every other episode in the series drives home that they will hunt humanity as long as they exist - so it would be an act of species suicide do discard everything and just hope that this time, unlike every other time, the Cylons won't find them. Or that the emancipated Cylons that knew exactly where they were wouldn't ever decide to come back.

The series rates a 9 while the finale gets no more than a disappointing 4.
  • Remarkable. Simply remarkable.

I rarely give any show or episode a rating of 10, but this is a rare exception. Rather than concluding the series with a hokey truce with the Cavil Cylons or some douchy time travel cure-all, they elegantly tied up all of the loose threads while still leaving enough to the imagination that each viewer can interpret some of the elements according to his or her own perspective. I'd go into greater detail, but I don't like posting spoilers and I would certainly have to if I were to discuss Starbuck, Hera, Baltar's vision of Caprica Six and Caprica Six's vision of Baltar. The revelation of what "All this has happened before and will happen again" meant in the end was very nicely done. It had leant to the misconception that some form of time travel would have been involved. I'm so glad that was not the case. One thing that Ron Moore had desperately tried to stay away from throughout the series was what he called "Star Trek solutions" in which some super-advanced bit of technology is used to save the day.

The performances by the principle cast were awe-inspiring. Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos delivered Emmy-worthy performances. I would be genuinely shocked if they were not both nominated.

The part that I loved the most was the theological questions they deliberately left somewhat vague. Since the human race in the real world has been struggling with the concepts of religion for millennia, why should BSG wrap it up neatly with a cute little bow on top?

Too many series use the storytelling technique of force-feeding the morals of the story to the audience. This show was much more subtle. I'm sorry it's over, but I'll be forever grateful that it was made.
  • Great ending to the best show on tv!

Astounding! Exactly how I saw it ending. The were either in the future or our past, and they picked the past. Every character got a sendoff. Tyrol went off to be alone after killing Tory. Tory finally got justice after killing Cally. Rosalyn finally died after leading her people to a new home. Adama was with her when she went, and is building a cabin he wanted for the both of them. Kara dissapeared after fulfilling her destiny. She was an angel (or something like it). Baltar and six are finally reunited. The versions of themselves in their heads were angels helping them. Apollo is going exploring on their new home. Tigh and Ellen are finally living their dream of being together. Fantastic space battles and action too!

I've been watching finales for a long time, and this rivals MASH for resolving every plot point and giving the viewer a great ending. Well done!
  • This is way SCIFI is the best type of series to put on TV. I love this show and this is the last season of battlestar galactica and it well be sorly miss. The characters you well love and some you well hate. This was the best last episode in a long time.

I loved this episode it give me closure on how it came about and how it ended. Starbuck came threw in the end and I found out how it came to be. I wished that starbuck and Aldama were left together, but we knew that wasn't gonna happen. I well miss this series and the characters that came upon it. Started with the classic that came on in the 80's and ran with a different approach. I thought they were stupid at first, but after watching all the episode they did the right thing. Thank you God bless Battlestar Galactica.
  • Now I can die happy!

Now I can die happy. This is what entertainment, screw that, this is what life is about. Fate, angels, the neverending cycle, all layered and folded into one epic story. I don't know which part took my breath away for the longest, when caprica and baltar both see their angels, or when the ship jumped to earth, when sam flew into the sun, when chief killed tori, when adama and laura go on that last raptor trip, or is it when kara vanishes, leaving lee alone in that field an angel returning to god. Ill admit it, I cried. SO should you
    May this stand forever as one of the greatest finales for one of the greatest shows that ever was, or ever will be.
  • Possibly television's finest hour ever

While it's kind of hard to talk about a finale that will leave you speechless, I will say this, while speechless, I am ultimately satisfied. This isn't just another review where I say "BEST EPISODE EVAR!!!" just because I feel compelled to say it. I feel compelled to say it because I really mean it.

This is also one of television's best finales ever, whether it be season or a series finale. I also don't recall seeing a finer hour on television in my life. I also didn't expecting such a magnificent payoff and such a perfect ending to come to fruition.

This just isn't a standard or normal "send-off" to such a wonderful show. It's a perfect ending, while being heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time.

(I've also posted this review on my IGN.com account, this review is not being plagiarized.)