Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• The triumph of ignorance and superstition over knowledge and reason.

Battlestar Galactica has been one of the greatest television series ever to air. It has been challenging, smart and engaged me as much as any show ever has.

The series finale left me disappointed. While it was a strong front runner in my mind that they would find their way to our Earth- it wasn't clear whether it would be the distant past and they were our ancestors - or if it would be a contemporary Earth.

What I didn't see coming was that the show would celebrate the metaphorical burning of the library as they turned their back on reason and knowledge to embrace ignorance and superstition.

There were parts of the finale that were touching emotionally but that was diluted by the distaste I had for the wilful discarding of generations of hard won knowledge to pursue the short, painful life of savages.

They had the stars and they gave them up for high infant mortality, 30 year life spans and using slaves instead of machines.

It makes no sense to do this with the Cylons still out there. Every other episode in the series drives home that they will hunt humanity as long as they exist - so it would be an act of species suicide do discard everything and just hope that this time, unlike every other time, the Cylons won't find them. Or that the emancipated Cylons that knew exactly where they were wouldn't ever decide to come back.

The series rates a 9 while the finale gets no more than a disappointing 4.