Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• If only there hadn't been the last couple minutes!

Battlestar Galactica has always been the thinking man's sci-fi series; a tongue-in-cheek warning about scientific advancement, without preaching the (VERY) obvious fact that Earth (our real Earth) is heading in the same direction. That is, until we see "150,000 years later" flash across our screens. REVEAL: Present Day New York. We hear a Six-like voice talking about the discovery of Mesopotamian Eve (aka Hera) in Tanzania. Is this a descendant of Caprica? NO! In fact, it's none other than Caprica and Baltar's imaginary versions of each-other. What are they there to do? RUIN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! After four seasons of absolute sci-fi genius, we witness our beloved space opera shatter into a disappointing mess, that (and I may be saying this in a heat of passion that I will one day regret) has ruined the series for me. All because it didn't end a couple minutes sooner. Why, oh why did the writers suddenly decide to give us that cheesy, awkward end to a beautiful series. Did no one tell them that it was a terrible idea? It didn't fit with the series at all. It was like the writers decided to use the series' last breath of life to spell out a moral to the story, and to use a (failed) scare-tactic to make us think about the direction of our society. "Does this thriving metropolis look familiar? Like Kobol? Like Earth? Like Caprica? Will history repeat itself again? Is (our) Earth, too, doomed to destruction by it's own hand? Time will tell!"

In short, those last couple minutes ruined what I considered to be a perfect finale. And knowing that's how the series ends, I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it a second time through. Thanks for nothing, Moore and Eick. You had a great run, took us along for the ride, and as a final goodbye, you gave us the finger.