Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Cheal Tricks From Savvy Guys

Concluding a complex and labyrinthine show presents huge challenges. The Producers face their own demons, the (sometimes) rabid fans, the network, et. al in wrapping it up.

I feel BSG's run was just about right. Though previous seasons offered filler shows, the last season many times lowered the usually crisp and thought provoking canon into High School dramatics. To have prolonged the agony would have further cheapened one of TV's best dramas. Which is where I feel it ended.

That said, and based on the rating, I am disappointed. Correlating the span of humanity's history to a Bob Dylan penned ballad is unsatisfying. It's cheap and lazy in the same way others use films within films to state their viewpoint instead of baring their own souls. (Think of films or TV shows plugging in a clip from another movie (or music) to make a point.)

The choice was a good one, for "All Along The Watchtower" is based on Isaiah 21, Verses 5-9:

"Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise ye princes, and prepare the shield./For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth./And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels; and he hearkened diligently with such heed./...And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground."

Dylan wrote the song during a crisis (a serious motorcycle accident) causing a violent change in his life and career. Perhaps he suffered a spiritual crisis as well. Conversely, I found the Ep did present a few wonderful moments, and I wasn't thrown by the ambiguity - Starbuck's mysterious nature. (Okay, she's a supernatural being, as, evidently, are Gaius and 6.) Life isn't always clear.

Roslin's death was touching, as were the character's send offs.

I really dug the show's inherent nihilism, however, shaking the cycle of violence in our faces with such ferverence caused the message, through Dylan, to be delivered with tongue somewhat in cheek.

BSG will remain close to my heart, but the finale didn't, as I hoped, touch my soul.