Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• It's the kind of episode that makes you wake up the next morning with your mind still blown, and makes you go "I finally understand what BSG is all about." (Spoilers abound!)

Farewell, Battlestar Galactica. You will be missed, and what a way to go out!

After the end of 4.0, I was devistated. Earth was gone, nuked, there was no hope. I felt the series spiraling and when I saw that the finale was named Daybreak I was fully prepared to believe it was NOT going to be uplifting; that in some Joss-ian manner we were going to be led into this trap of expecting happiness.

As Kara said in the miniseries, it's good to be wrong. Sure, I cried my eyes out time and again throughout the episode, and woke up this morning having to deal with my lost loved ones. But all in all, this brought the series to the perfect conclusion.

Every character you thought was irredeemable, either got their moment of heroism or got their comeupance. I went into the finale with five questions- What is Kara and her destiny? What is Head!Six? What's up with the Opera House? What's up with All Along The Watchtower? and Will they have a place to settle?

All of my questions got answered, and I was unbelievably pleased with how everything played out. The story line flowed together seamlessly, such that when I go back and watch any given episode I see how it all led to that conclusion.

And best of all, it was uplifting. They did find a planet, and that planet is OUR Earth, because they named it as such. Hera, the half-human half-cylon hybrid child is our ancestor. We, the viewers, our the culmination of their struggle; and it's discussion of the divine forces- how it doesn't matter if they're Gods, God, or whatever are on no one's side and it's a force of nature, combined with Hera as our ancestor- really gives us hope for a peaceful coexistence in our lives today.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again. The final scene, set in present day, with the Angels Head!Six and Head!Gaius looking over us, with Six's positive speech about how things might just go right this time, law of averages and all that. It makes you as the viewer think about what Lee said back in Revelations- All this has happened before, but it doesn't have to happen again. So say we all!