Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• A fitting but frustrating end.

The first hour of it gets a 20 out of 10. The best hour of Galactica this season, not because of the battle, but the way it was handled. The first small glimpse of metallic cylons on the side of Galactica, the allocation of duties - until Hoshi was picked admiral and the lawyer as president, I did not feel the absence of people because we were surrounded by monumental people. At that point it became clear what it means to have 38000 survivors... Anders on the deck in his "tub". Wow, shivers everywhere!

The attack itself, the internal part was a surgeon's blade - precise, deadly. Death of Boomer and the "opera" scene and later the deck scene with the 5 was, to me, the actual culmination of the series. I didn't even mind much that there was a cold day in hell chance that Anders was actually going to accomplish what they all thought he must - it had to happen, I suppose. Then, it was time to peak off and bring us home. To use the turning point, the precipice, to lead us to the final descent.

And man, was it a horrible display, marked by two things: first off, Baltar's speach to end the hostilities was weak and ridiculous, especially considering who he was talking to. I noticed this before - if Moore and Eick have a weakness, that's not finding angelic words for angelic purposes - and this will come also into play later. The second was the "dead man's nuke" play for jump starting the final Galactica's jump. FAR too much coincidence at this point. That part gets a 0 out of 10.

So, there we went on the final descent, and Earth was upon us, grass was upon us, the end was upon us. It came and went, I suppose, with no special mention (except Baltar's "I know how to farm", which was his best 5 seconds in the entire series). I like the answer to the question "how could have humans evolved on several continents at once", and at this point I took what satisfaction I could get.

Back to the angellical: Kara's exit was handled in a human way and it did not fit the enormity of the sentiment in the least - but I guess good angels will work in mysterious ways; as did head Baltar and 6 in the final frames of the future. This part will, no doubt, come under intense scrutiny. To me, it's fine - cycles are important, space is curved, etc. However, again, handling of these über-creatures in fashion that Morre & Eick did cheapened and soured the whole deal. Either you have angels/higher power creatures as such or you have them as "cheap" humans. Playing them as both so suddenly is just indecisive, like a wet dream came to life, but definitely not contributing to the overall frame. Is it a game, existence? Or a "serious matter for serious men and gods"? Was it futile to turn away all the technology just to have it built-up 150000 years later? Is it wrong to build robots? And where, pray tell, is the Devil. OK, I'm rambling, but that's what the writers left us with, and it is ultimately underwhelming.

We didn't need all this in the last episode. I would have expected better planning, whichever way it took us.

I'll be sorry to let Galactica go - it gave us hours and hours of brilliance - it's just that the last hour wasn't it.

I didn't want this series to rest in peace, and I suppose neither did the writers, but they did not commit fully, and in the end I needed more to achieve the catharsis that was to be my part as a viewer in, and is, the end.