Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Predictable lightweight ending.

In the "Last Fraking Special" the head writer spoke about how this show departs from the usual SciFi shows in that it is very "dark." Where did the darkness go? Instead we see a loose, predictable, and poorly tied up story using flashbacks. Why is backstory on Caprica so important all of a sudden? Clearly the writers had no idea where to go , so they decided to take the "Lost" route.

If they really wanted to go "dark" they would have left everyone dead or dying and perhaps (to allow for some hope) have Hera and Athena or Starbuck end up in a viper somewhere above the atmosphere of an Earthlike planet. But they had to go for the "happy" ending. I'm guessing Galen founds Scotland. Why wouldn't Adama come back to get others after Roselin dies? He decides he doesn't have to be a leader anymore? It's just everyone for himself. This makes no sense.

The "explanation" for Starbuck also leaves a lot to be desired. Everyone could see, touch, feel, and hear this angel who did not know she was an angel? Huh?!

This ending was cheap, cheesy and desired to make people happy instead of keeping with the intellectually challenging nature of the show. Here are a couple of questions I still have. Why don't humans have some sort of "machine" parts if we are part Cylon? Why didn't the metal cylons just start shooting and killing everyone? Why didn't Starbuck just stay with Anders instead of going back to New Earth with Apollo? I'm sad for a mediocre ending to a great show. I guess they decided to go the Harry Potter route.