Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• The survivors of the 12 colonies find themselves, God, and Earth - all in two hours. About the time it takes, apparently, to destroy a legend.

I'll go out on a limp here and say: Whoever liked this series finale, can not have liked or, at least, understood the entire show that came before it. The second part of this two-hour cr..., sorry, wrap-up took all the worst things about Battlestar Galactica and made them the definitive end point for what could have been one of the greatest TV series of the new millenium. What are we left with in the end? Religious sermons and pre-modern angst. A show that was so complex, so nuanced over it's 5-year run, boiled down to affirming the existence of capital 'G' god and his plan behind the existence of humankind and demonizing technological progress as a constant threat to it's very survival. It hardly gets more reactionary than this. Comprehensive destiny, angelic guidance and an entire array inpalatably obtrusive return-to-your-roots anti-progressive gestures ... and all that on top of a shocking amount of plotholes needlessly left open. All I could say after two hours was: Frakk that! It took the writers two hours to utterly ruin four seasons of greatness, to turn one of the best shows in years into one of the most repulsive, which no amount of fine acting (which, no less, also withered away with the excessive sappiness of the second hour of the finale) could correct. I was literally appalled. Now, the memory Battlestar Galactica will certainly stick with me for years to come. Unfortunately, it's for all the wrong reasons.