Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Incredible ending. Interestingly, the ending is faithful to the original plan for the first BSG but was too controversial in the late 1970s. What I found most interesting was a number of possible endings.

If you use the iTunes breakout of "Part 2" and "Part 3", what's interesting is that the show could have ended at the end of Part 2 (albeit they wouldn't have 100% tied up every storyline). Then, it could have ended when they collectively decided to settle earth and send the fleet into the sun (by the way, why don't we do that with nuclear waste? But I digress). Then they could have ended with Athena, Helo, and Athena walking off into the horizon...but again they didn't. The real end seems to have drawn the ire of many of the reviewers on tv.com (but not as much those who vote). But why not get us to seriously consider where we are and how our technology has already begun to dwarf our morality?

I give a hearty thumbs up to a well thought out series, beginning to end. I guess old Cavil and crew spent out their days jumping to look for an enemy that no longer exists. An apt metaphor for modern day life as well.

Be seeing you,