Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (3)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Baltar is a Cylon,,,

Well, I watched the whole season on netflix. Loved the whole series except for this last episode. It just threw a lot of stuff out of the window. Were gonna give up all technology and medical benefits even though some or all of us are machines anyways. I really had to fast forward a lot of the last second buildup of life before the nukes(which was very slow). A lot of characters do a 180 in the episode. The Priest Cylon would never ever take his own life. Not to mention when the 5 share all memories, chief sees his wife get killed and yet does not see his previous life with his old wife (new wife's killer). Supposedly they were madly in love, leaving the Chief completely fracked. The only thing that would make any sense is if Baltar and #6 are the original cylons from a thousand, maybe millions of years ago.
  • Daybreak, Part 2 (3)

Daybreak, Part 2 (3) was amazingly awesome and a perfect finish to one of the greatest series of all time! I really enjoyed watching the finale of Battlestar Galactica because the fleet and Galactica are reunited after Starbuck finds a new Earth. It was awesome how this storyline kind of resembled stories of Ancient Aliens and interbreeding with early humans. I also liked how the "Angels" who appeared to Baltar and Caprica Six appeared one last time to them, and then again in this new Earth's future which was really cool. Admiral Adama takes Roslin on a flight to see the beautiful animals and lands and to build that Cabin, but this dream isn't fully realized but the related scenes were touching. The people all finally got their new home, which every one truly deserved. The ending was spectacular as the "Angels" discussed Hera being our original physical "Eve" as well as "God" and his plans, along with showing how history may be an inevitable cycle. I was satisfied with the ending and will definitely watch the series again in marathon from time to time!!!!!!!!!
  • The End...

Have to say I found the ending disappointing. The whole idea that we evolved from both native, Colonial and Cylon forefathers felt wrong and to unbelievable. Secondly as a non religious person all the religious 'God' clap trap was boring, stupid and offensive to me. I wanted to know how Starbuck susrvived the implosion not rubbish about 'God's Will'.

They put too much emphasis on this Watchtower song! I have never heard of it and so all the hints/clues/meanings were lost on me. It meant that I had no idea what they were going on about at times (still don't).

The idea they were pushing that Hera was somehow the ancestor of the human race as a "Mitochondrial Eve" was based on completely wrong science so made no sense whatsoever.
  • Part three: Rest (review is all of all three episodes of the finale).

Well. That was a turn up for the books, wasn't it? While these episodes were broadcast separately (well, 419 was at any rate), Ronald D. Moore penned the three instalments as one script, one movie if you will, so I feel it best to treat them as such in this review. And in so doing, it becomes very clear that there is an intentional concentric structure to the piece. The story essentially moves from chessboard manoeuvring in its first hour to action/emotional apex in its second and then to introspection and finally, rest in its third. There's a distinctly poignant beauty in this most novel-esque narratology, anchored in the one element common to all aspects: the pre-Fall flashbacks. These mire the action in the trope that has always been at the core of the 21st Century Battlestar Galactica: the human character and all its inherent quirks and faults. Moore is wise to incorporate these moments into the finale, despite the inevitable complaints that will arise from many corners that they take up time that could be 'better spent' giving us more coherent answers to whatever minutiae that have been left dangling over the years. And while I will concede that certain aspects of the flashbacks could perhaps have done with a little more treatment (Roslin's in particular lacks any particular oomph and falls a little flat), 'Daybreak' was never obliged to neatly tie up every question, no matter how irrelevant, that has arisen over the years. In fact, if it had, it would arguably have been a disappointment, feeling more like a laundry list than a believable, engaging and satisfying goodbye to the characters that we've come to know and love. The answers we DO get, and the action that they are tied up in, are generally excellent: they make up a significant proportion of the dramatically intense second hour which, unquestionably, is the best aspect of the entire finale. There's tension and suspense galore here, not to mention some stellar special effects, a whole hell of a lot of blood and some damn fine confrontational scenes, culminating in Baltar and Six's brilliant encounter at the 'Opera House'. There are kinks, unfortunately, and they begin to show in the third act as some highly illogical plot manoeuvring jeopardises the believability of the plot. So the Galacticans find what we know as Earth, a planet populated with primitives, and they... decide to abandon everything and start again? You're telling me that 37,000 people would blindly agree to fly all of their technology into the Sun and live, not just without creature comforts, but without basic things like medical science?! Oh yeah, we'll just get rid of all of our advances in childbirth and let what, like, 30% of women die before the sprog pops out? Great idea! Transportation, communication, INSULATION? Oh shucks, who needs 'em, eh? I have a really hard time buying any of this; it smells pungently of a quick fix, driven by a misguided need to tie the events of the Galactica world into our own. The somewhat conservative allegory - that our predilections for technological advancement will only lead to our downfall - functioned as metaphor up to this point, but now it's just blatant finger-pointing, especially when one takes the rather patronising closing scene into consideration. Moore, you really needn't have. Meaning arguably works better when it is not tied around a 70 tonne anvil, towering over your head. The last two or three minutes are a huge let-down as a result of this: they come across as preachy, gratuitous and unnecessary rather than thought-provoking and poignant. It's a shame really as there's a great deal to enjoy in the 'new Earth' scenes: yes, they're rather pedestrian at times but just check out the acting skills on display and the beautiful dialogue they're all given... Adama and Roslin, in particular, even if his decision to bugger off and build that cabin away from everyone is just plain ludicrous. And what exactly was Starbuck, anyway? An angel? Meh. I'd rather hoped Moore wouldn't take the obvious religious route out but alas, never mind. Still, when considered collectively, the three parts of 'Daybreak' make for a generally engaging and satisfying finale. They take that most important of facets as their dramatic core - character - and run with it, giving closure and finality to our favourite players while also delivering some of the finest, and most explosive, dramatic moments the show has ever seen. It's a pity that the 'comedown', if you will, contains a number of very prominent flaws that serve to distract the viewer's attention from the good and leave a slightly bitter after-taste. 'Daybreak' is not the perfect crescendo we had come to expect from this oh-so-wonderful of shows, but perhaps our expectations shouldn't have been so high. It's enjoyable nonetheless and at the end of the day, that'll do for me.
  • Battlestar Galactica comes to a close after four seasons of frakkin intensity I have never seen in another show.

This is my first and only BSG review as I recently finished watching the entire series for the first time. I have to say that, while I may not have been along for the ride as a lot of other fans were, I have come to know and admire these characters and this has become one of my all-time favorite shows. I just wish I had discovered it sooner. As with other reviewers, I am going to review the entire three-part finale in one go, so bear with me.
    While the first part of the finale lacked some firepower, it was necessary to establish exactly what was going to happen in the remaining parts. Boomer revealed her true colors once and for all and betrayed everyone by kidnapping Hera and taking her to the Cylon Colony, a massive ship which took my breath away. The Cylons and humans choose their sides and prepare for the battle. While this may not seem like much, it got my heart pumping and ready to go in to the final episode. I was not disappointed.
    The final battle with the Cylons was epic and extreme. I watched in shock as the Galactica took the beating of its life while Cylon Raiders streamed everywhere while the troops entered the Colony to save Hera. While I expected Boomer to finally get what was coming to her (she was getting very annoying at this point), I didn't expect her to go out by Athena's hand. I thought she would die while helping the troops escape, but there was some measure of poetic justice in Athena killing Boomer that I can respect. I have to say that I also expected a LOT more bloodshed and at least several main characters to die. This was, after all, a very dangerous mission, as Admiral Adama put it, and the liklihood of every one of the main characters making it out of there alive was highly improbable, but in the end I'm glad everyone made it out alive. I was a little sad that Racetrack and Skulls died, but they unintentionally saved everyone by going in with their nukes ready. The opera house scene was very well done and I had almost forgotten that no one knew that Cally was killed by Tory. She definitely got what was coming to her when Tyrol snapped her neck. The deaths of the remaining bad Cylons was also awesome, especially with the cowardice of Cavill revealed as he killed himself rather than be killed by the crew of Galactica.
    The third part (it might not be the technical third part, I know) began with Starbuck putting the coordinates for the real Earth. I was surprised to discover that this was NOT the Earth that they had previously discovered, but was instead an untouched planet which would be the final resting place of the remnants of the human race. While it is a little hard to believe that all 37,000 of them would give up their advances in technology without so much as a fuss, I can accept that because look at where technology had gotten them. They might as well start over.
    The resolutions of the characters we had come to know were very bittersweet, as is the case in most shows' finales. I was most moved by the death of Roslin and I admit that I cried in every scene she was in on Earth until she died. I have never been so moved by a character before but her strength and determination touched me and I hated the fact that she had to die, but how they did it was beautiful and very sad at the same time. Gaius and Caprica 6 finally got together and their respective angels left them to their own devices, which was a nice touch because they got back together in the end, despite everything that had happened between then and the Fall. The one ending that I wasn't completely satisfied with, however, was Starbuck and Lee's. I, along with many other people I'm sure, fully expected them to get together in the end, as the show had been suggesting for some time. But Starbuck vanished without a trace, leaving Lee to explore the world and do what he wanted without so much as a full explanation. Was Starbuck an angel? I guess we will never fully understand what she was.
    All in all, my thoughts and feelings about the finale are summed up in my tears shed over Roslin's death. Though I am a relatively new BSG fan, the show has moved and shocked me in ways that I have rarely felt before. Battlestar Galactica set a new bar for television and I know that this show will be sorely missed. So say we all.
  • In the end, just another Frankenstein misinterpretation.

Over decades of film and television, the Frankenstein myth has been reinterpreted a number of times to fit better with the conservative, religious anti-intellectual ideology american society has often been burdened with. Battlestar Galactica somewhat successfuly navigated its own take on the issue so far, thanks to added depth an intelligence in the writing. But, sadly, that is all gone by the time it wraps up.

It doesn't help that this last 45 minutes of the show are all about wrapping up each character (some of them more than once) while trying desperately to avoid pointing out the inconsistencies in the plot. But the biggest offender has to be the final modern day coda, which literally includes the words "technology running amok" and seems to make a pretty straightforward case that God doesn't want us to have dancing robots because they will kill us all.

The "good" Galactica ends with Tyroll losing it after finding out what happened to Callie. That is clever plotting, the product of a good plant set up a while ago that comes back to haunt everybody involved. It is tragedy, something remarkably hard to pull off without being terribly cheesy that still works here. After that, it's all pseudoreligious babble mixed up with some very, very loose science, specifically anthropology.

As it is, I could have done without part three. The series would probably be more enjoyable without it.
  • I feel sorry for people who didn't 'get it' or think it didn't wrap up right.

After re-watching the entire 4 seasons in a 3 week period, i understood the show so much more. The big gap they had when the 4th season originally aired actually was detrimental to the series. So many months pass, and you forget little things. But when I re-watched the series, I picked up so many little details that I might have dismissed as irrelevant before.

This episode was incredibly dramatic. I just love the music they use through the 3rd and 4th season and when the final 5 figure out who they are. And after watching the series again , every episode so close to the last one, I understood the whole story more, and I was completely enthralled! The magnitude and depth of the story, the acting and emotion people played, was AMAZING!
  • The bottom line: the viewers are not idiots, why do you try to treat them like idiots?

While the space opera stuff was as good as ever, the ending was extremely unsatisfactory due to some poor artistic decisions, most notably about what was previously one the series' strengths: having left the mystical aspects for the viewer to decide on throughout the 4 seasons, in the last few minutes we get a literal "deus ex machina" rammed down our throats in such a way as to leave a major bad taste in the mouth. I was looking forward to buying the complete series on DVD when it comes out and working through the episodes again, looking for more hints of the bigger picture, but now I know it will be pointless because it has all been explained in the dullest possible way. Spoiled by a few seconds of bad editing decisions! Think how much more intelligent it would have been if the mystery of Starbuck had been left hanging, with her walking off into the sunset or just panning away from her and Apollo (instead of "yeah, actually she was an angel or the messiah or whatever, her work is done so now she'll vanish in the blink of an eye"). And I would rather not know for certain whether the visions of Baltar and Caprica 6 were hallucinations or visions of angels or something else entirely: but no, it's more frakking angels. Great. I guess the one good thing is that it was only spoiled by some eminently disposable scenes, so it will be easy enough to do a "phantom edit", or should I say a "phantomless edit"? And while we're busy keeping up the suspense and creative tension: with a little bit more editing, we could have them land on the planet, wrap things up without the cheesy stuff, and only then - in the last shot of the series - pan out to show the familiar continents of our Earth... Oh well, it was nearly great.
  • Boy, I'm gonna miss this show!

I didn't give it a 10 because I think the writers could've done a better job wrapping up the Starbuck story.
    I also didn't like how so many things were explained through a higher power, I understand them explaining some things this way as religion and mystery have been part of this show from day one, but they overdid it in my opinion.
    Finally I would've liked it better if they found Earth 10.000 years ago (neolithic revolution) so they would've had at least some impact on our civilization. Now they did give us mitochondrial Eve but there monotheism and Greek references (names and religion) are supposed to be mere coincidental.

On the plus side it had some great action scenes, beautiful scenes of live on Caprica before the fall and it did a proper job saying goodbey to all the characters (some people may have found the ending to long but I believe the characters deserved it.)
    The epsisode gave us pretty much all the answers, no matter how vague some of them were and it's a hell of a lot better than most series finales I've seen.
    Among some of the most emotional scenes I've ever seen on the screen were the dead of Roslin, the fleet heading into the sun and the general realization that this show, which is definitely my favorite show of all time, is over.
    At the end of the episode I knew I was gonna miss these characters and I even felt sad about the great colonial civilization and the fleet's journey being forever lost and forgotten, boy I'm gonna miss this show!
  • So say we all. With those simple words a new hope sprung forth. Angels, reincarnation, faith and the almighty gave the people renewed hope, renewed life and a new order.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Who knew? That something so ancient held the wisdom of generations to come. Simply breathtaking and soul altering. With the finest and most eloquent ending in television history. The message was clear all along. The message that even now is ignored. Touching, haunting and superior production gave this episode it's most riveting moments. Not so far sci-fi as our own possible future reality. Learn from our mistakes don't repeat them. Hope and faith do spring eternal, I think it's just part of human nature. So say we all.
  • Ronald Moore hits the ball out of the park with his script for the series finale. A masterful combination of action, philosophy, religion and poetry all wrapped up in a satisfying conclusion to one of the greatest achievements in television history.

I refuse to call this "Daybreak". Instead, I will refer to it as "Ronald Moore's Masterpiece". What an achievement! We had the action on a fantastic scale in the first half of the two-parter and exquisite poetry in the second half. I'm glad that they didn't come to another truce with Cavil and his horde. That would have seemed too tidy.

As that scene was going on, I kind of thought it was a bit too cute, to have another alliance with the Cylons and everyone would go walking down the forest path arm in arm. But then Galen found out about Tory and Cally and the airlock. That was Ronald Moore toying with us, giving us a taste of a typical trite resolution and then blowing everything up in our faces. Awesome way to tie in Tory's murder of Cally into the overall story. I didn't really understand why Tory was so central in the Tyrol-Cally story but in hindsight, it was a masterstroke to weave those two threads together like that.

The Cylon Colony was absolutely surreal. The design concepts and the special visual effects were astounding. Can we say Emmy nomination here? If the visual effects team doesn't get an Emmy award for this episode, then there is something truly wrong. And if Ronald Moore doesn't get another writing nomination, then there is even more injustice in Hollywood.

As for the significance of Hera's drawing and the FTL coordinates, it actually makes literal sense. As someone who spent a lot of time in school studying music theory, I immediately recognized that the numbers correspond to the notes of the secondary theme from Bear McCreary's version of "All Along the Watchtower". It's the part that Kara played on the piano with Slick a couple episodes ago. It's in a minor key. If you number the notes in the scale beginning with 1 and continuing up to 7, then you have the format used in the translation. Each number corresponds to the note used in the theme. For those familiar with music notation, suppose the theme was played in the key of C minor (to make it easier to explain). 1 corresponds to the note of C. 2 equals D. 3 equals E-flat and so on. Thus, if you transcribe the theme using these numbers, you get the 1123.6536.5321 code that Kara punched into the FTL computer (leaving out the trill in the theme). It's kind of nifty that they did this. I'm guessing that they consulted Bear on this since I don't think either Ronald Moore or David Eick has a formal music background.

The second part was so peaceful to watch. The pacing and tone of the episode matched that of the characters. They were weary of the turmoil, the flight from the Cylons, the civil strife and internal political conflicts so it makes sense that they wanted to leave everything behind and start over. BSG is a very demanding series to watch in the sense that it evokes a lot of political, philosophical and religious themes. It gives your heart and mind a workout. After 5 1/2 years, it was comforting to see that the characters finally found peace, even if there was the cautionary ending about events on our "Earth" 150,000 years later.

The series finale also confirmed what I have long suspected -- that Battlestar Galactica is at its heart a religious show. Not necessarily a Christian or Buddhist or whatever show, but one that examines religion and philosophy with an earnest approach. It's kind of strange, that a show that includes so much violence, sex, drug use and conflict can be so religious. But it's refreshing. It makes the exploration of religion more realistic. Sanitized parables may be good to explain key principles and morals but something like BSG shows how these principles can apply (or not) in real-life situations, and very harsh ones at that. Though the characters are often flawed, many of the key figures try to think their way through difficult situations. They don't just pick up a grenade launcher or press the button to launch missiles like a mindless action-movie character would.

From a visual perspective, I was very impressed with the outdoor shots in the last scenes. In previous episodes, it was usually apparent that any outdoor scenes were shot at the same locations that other Vancouver-based productions used. Planets on Stargate SG-1, for example, had vegetation and foliage that was awfully similar to what we saw on BSG. But I'm guessing that there aren't any large herds of antelopes in the exurbs of Vancouver. While I'm on this point, this episode needs to get another Emmy nomination in the category of cinematography, if there is such a category. Very impressive camera and location work!

But what really made this series finale shine is Ronald Moore's script and the way he resolved all of the mysteries and story threads of the series. The flashbacks to the Opera House visions was effective. We got answers about Kara's identity and even about Head Six and Head Baltar. How many fans have been wondering about Head Six since the Miniseries? I'm guessing most of us. And even with all of the intellectual philosophy and religious exploration, Ronald Moore managed to create a thrilling finale and an emotionally powerful one. I can't imagine how he could have ended the series more effectively. And I can't think of many single episodes in any series that worked as well as "Daybreak" did. Er, oops, I meant to say "Ronald Moore's Masterpiece", because I am not going to call it "Daybreak" any more.

Truly a monumental accomplishment in science-fiction history and a remarkable achievement for dramatic storytelling in general, whether in television, movie or book format. Sad as I am to see the series wrap up, I'm satisfied that it ended with all creative guns blazing. Thanks to the producers, writers, actors, visual effects teams, composer, musicians and crew for making such an enjoyable adult work of fiction, one that is far more satisfying than the typical escapist television fare.
  • Finally a REAL ending.

In this day and age, shows come and go without a true ending. In my opinion, this is the best series finale since MASH. I am sure there will be people who will disect the show and realize that there are a few things, for lack of a better term, unanswered. To those people I say, the show is/was shrouded in mythology. Some things just cannot be answered. As far as the big questions go, I feel they were all answered. As I watched this episode, I found myself constantly looking at the clock and thinking, "Holy frack, there is still so much time left." As much as I wish this show would continue, I respect the fact that they decided to end the series on their own terms and not the network's. I feel that I am a part of TV history when I say I have seen a true and complete story that will withstand the test of time.
    On a side note, I kind of felt like I was watching the Superbowl with the commercials. I am very excited about the new Stargate and the Battlestar miniseries or movie, I am not sure what it will be, about the Cylon "Plan." I cannot wait.
    I will miss this show however, I am beyond happy that it actually had a true beginning and ending.
  • Remarkable. Simply remarkable.

I rarely give any show or episode a rating of 10, but this is a rare exception. Rather than concluding the series with a hokey truce with the Cavil Cylons or some douchy time travel cure-all, they elegantly tied up all of the loose threads while still leaving enough to the imagination that each viewer can interpret some of the elements according to his or her own perspective. I'd go into greater detail, but I don't like posting spoilers and I would certainly have to if I were to discuss Starbuck, Hera, Baltar's vision of Caprica Six and Caprica Six's vision of Baltar. The revelation of what "All this has happened before and will happen again" meant in the end was very nicely done. It had leant to the misconception that some form of time travel would have been involved. I'm so glad that was not the case. One thing that Ron Moore had desperately tried to stay away from throughout the series was what he called "Star Trek solutions" in which some super-advanced bit of technology is used to save the day.

The performances by the principle cast were awe-inspiring. Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos delivered Emmy-worthy performances. I would be genuinely shocked if they were not both nominated.

The part that I loved the most was the theological questions they deliberately left somewhat vague. Since the human race in the real world has been struggling with the concepts of religion for millennia, why should BSG wrap it up neatly with a cute little bow on top?

Too many series use the storytelling technique of force-feeding the morals of the story to the audience. This show was much more subtle. I'm sorry it's over, but I'll be forever grateful that it was made.
  • What a talent Ronald D. Moore Is!!!

I just read the first posted review and it talks about unresolved questions, and who Kara Thrace really is?; from the perspective of a dissapointed viewer. I think you need time to digest the 'closure' of this show.

My feeling about this, despite what may have been suggested by the writers, that in some way it will all be wrapped up, revealed... Is that Ronald D. Moore created such a complex story, with such complex characters... and most significantlty, as was the case with ST DS9, a mythical undertone to all that was happening, in parrelel to the dark tones of the show. I wonder if you could have ever truly have wrapped up a show, with these undertones. It made me think, in a strange way of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Stanley Kuberick created a masterpiece, without ever wrapping up the storyline, mostly because he meddled with the meaning of life itself, that in our quest of discovery, to explore outer space, to travel on a journey, ultimately it took us to our very beginings. It did have closure in some aspects, but much was left unanswered and I think its testament to how deeply he took the storylines, the characters and the underlying mythology.

I have to say that Battlestar Galactica for me has been the best piece of television in years, I have absolutely loved every twist, every turn and It's a testament to the greatness of the show that it couldent be wrapped up so perfectly. I will miss it!!
  • Disappointed by the end....

5.5
    I am sad that the show has ended. The last show was good but there are way too many unresolved plotholes that are still nagging me...

like who was Kara? really?

Why was Hera that important and how did she come up with the FTL solution? where did she get it?

Why was Kara playing the song on the piano...

Some stuff like that going unanswered leaves me unfullfilled...

The end was too convenient in some way and it feels you end up nowhere and wonder why you even watched the series...like i said you are left unfufilled because of too many unanswered question.

Of course agree to diasgree with me.
  • Painful to Watch- Literally, what have they (writers) done, how could they?

So after 4 seasons of watching for answers, all our questioned are answered by one thing "god", R U F*CKIN kidding me, i really expect that next Friday the producers will say "we got you, it was all a big joke", and show us the real series finale

So let me get this, there were three angels on the show from the start, Kara, Caprica Vision, Baltars Vision...trust me if i'd known this was the answer when i first watched the mini series, that would've been it for the show!!!

BSG was never about Theologies, "just a small part maybe", but the writer after the finale make it seem like "its the only part"
  • One of the greatest TV series in history bows out. While it most certainly wasn't close to the Seinfled disaster, it wasn't quite the fittting sendoff this wonderful show deserved.

And so the series that gave us 3 seasons of the greatest television ever aired, sputters, shudders, kicks, spits and finally impotently glides to a stop, like a old car finally running out of gas.

The performers closed out with their usual brilliance above and beyond, ensuring that we will share in their separation anxiety from these amazing multi-layered characters. However, one can't escape the feeling that this wonderful series closed out with barely a whimper.

Perhaps it's simply impossible to resolve all the great mysteries of existentialism in a fashion that satisfies all. Perhaps it's the tumultuous turmoil a creative team deals with as it comes thundering down the home stretch, the finish line drawing inexorably closer as if to throttle creativity by constantly screaming, "Hurry Up - you're almost done!!!"

Whatever the reason, this almost euthanistic episode gratefully brings down the final curtain. Not counting the new prequel, various spinoff TV movies and similarly titled if unrelated feature films, of course.

And while we most certainly do "KNOW THE TRUTH" (as SciFi has been virtually shrieking at us for weeks) we can't help but saying, "All that for THIS?"

Bye-bye BSG - you will be missed. It's been a blast...
  • A phenomenal send-off and the end of an era... BSG will be very much missed.

These last few episodes were thought-provoking, emotional, well-acted and the action sequences kept me on the edge of my seat.

The series finale to Battlestar Galactica was packed with high-quality writing and delivered an ending that the producers should be proud of. I was afraid I would be unsatisfied when the final credits rolled, but I wasn't.

"All of this has happened before"... but never like Ronald D. Moore envisioned it! This is the great space opera at it's very best...and a show packed with a prudent message for all of humanity. The series should be required viewing for anyone who doesn't think humankind can be their own undoing.

I for one, was not disappointed with "Daybreak".
    Not since Six Feet Under has as television show been given such a proper (and complete) send-off.

Watch it again.
  • A terrible ending to the show. Why even bother searching for Earth when they were just going to throw it all away? I simply can't believe that two advanced races, human and Cylon, were willing to send their ships into the sun and lose everything.

This was a terrible way to wrap up the show, a situation that seems to be getting all to common these days. Ever since the mutiny failed, all they really seemed to be doing was waiting for the Galactica to fall apart or explode. How many times did we have to see the great Admiral Adama break down and cry like a little baby? Get over it, already.

The final few episodes made far too much use of the hated "flashback" and there simply was no real action between the failed mutiny until the attack on the Cylon research colony. The first ten episodes of season four were so much better than the final episodes, it is like they fired all the good writers and hired a room full of typing monkeys.

I found the neverending flashbacks in part 1 of the series finale pointless this late in the show. Part 2 with the all out invasion against the Cylon research base was all a person could hope for, but the final hour when they basically were delivered to "Earth 2" by Kara's jump co-ordinates became ridiculous.

Not one but two advanced civilizations (human and humanoid cylons) abandon their technology, the ability to travel through space, weapons, all their medical knowledge, literature, and simply send all of their ships flying into the sun? Get real. Instead of salvaging the Galactica for raw materials to build a small city, they go live like cavemen, and nobody even argues with Apollo's idiotic suggestion to do this. What a pathetic ending to such a drawn out and brutal struggle for survival over four seasons.

These people still had a lot to learn. They should have stayed together, or formed a couple colonies to increase their odds of survival. Cancer was still devestating to them. How many other diseases did they lack cures for? They still smoked and drank themselves stupid. Someone gets shot in the leg? Don't give them a cybernetic leg, just hack it off, hand them a prostetic limb and a crutch, and suffer through it.

These people should have fought tooth and nail to keep the technology they had, and built upon it. With the help of the Cylon synthetic humans, they probably could have made huge leaps in their knowledge. Did no one even think to ask the Cylons if they could cure cancer like Laura had? They could grow synthetic humans, after all.

But no, Laura Rosalin dies from cancer, Adama becomes a hermit, Starbuck simply vanishes, apparently satisfied that her work as the harbinger of death is complete seeing as 150,000 years later, no one knows a thing about the survivors of the colonies.

And what was Kara Thrace? An angel, a demon, a time traveler? How did she return from the dead? Who gave her a new Viper to return in? How did her old viper and her body end up on the first Earth? Did God do it, the Lords of Kobol, maybe Obi-Wan Kenobi? We never learn. She just vanishes.

Truthfully, the Cylon Centurions were the only ones with an ounce of common sense. They gratefully accepted the Cylon baseship and flew off into the unknown, probably laughing their circuit boards off at the primitives they finally left behind while they went off to locate some advanced civilization that had enough intelligence to give them the ability to speak out loud.

This was a poor ending to a show that, while it had some bad qualities, it also had remarkable potential. Too bad that potential wasn't used in the final hour of the series. It's almost as though everything they had done throughout the series was for nothing. The only thing I can really say is that the Cylons must have regretted ever coming back and attacking Caprica and the colonies, because everyone on both sides ended up dying off and being forgotten. Kara Thrace truly was the Harbinger of Death.
  • Terrible ending, spoiled the show for me!*SPOILERS*

Angels, seriously? Starbuck is an ANGEL? I especially hated how she disappears right as Apollo is answering her question about what he'll do with his life, right after the devastating loss of his father. She now abandons him w/out any of his loved ones!

This show started so brilliantly. It explored issues of survival of the species, the usual tropes about technology "artificial life", and humanity.
    Then there was the 'not knowing' who was a cylon (thought that got a little old when there turned out to be tons of them).
    There was also great exploration of ruling during a "war", military vs. civilian, torture of prisoners, abuse of power, corruption, etc. All fascinating.

But then the hokey prophecies and religion "destiny" crap started growing stronger. I tried to ignore it and watch for the parts I liked.

All to get this last episode where they chickened out of having to wrap up anything and just used God(s) as a deux en machina to wrap up everything.

It was all just part of gods plan, Kara's an angel, Baltar's hallucinations was god. This was all a plan by god/devil. Oh and did we mention it's all just part of some inescapable pattern that just gets repeated over & over again. Meaning there's no free will, no chance of change and that mankind is ultimately doomed to drive itself to extinction.

I know there were angels in teh first series, but they were LAME then too! This series took the BEST of the original and ran with it, they didn't need to take all the crappy parts too!

I should have known this was going to be bad when I show I respected for being intelligent, mature, deep and interesting decided to GRATUTIOIUSLY feature STRIPPERS & puking!!!!! Seriously? This sort of endless objectification is why I avoid most other tv... thanks for throwing some in just to REALLY spoil this last episode!!!

I'm soo disappointed. I'm trying to think about whether this is the WORST ending to a show I've ever seen or the 2nd worst (I thought the Will & Grace ending where the ending a decades-long friendship by being too lazy to go across town to visit each other over the years - violated the entire premise of the first 10 years of the show!)
  • Journey's end

By the time this series finale come to close, I was torn. On the one hand, I could see what the writers were trying to achieve with their decisions for plot and character resolution. I understood the notion of tying together the loose ends with a spiritual connection rather than a deterministic laundry list. But despite the understanding, I was disappointed. I couldn't quite give up on my desire for discrete answers. For quite some time, I sat back, thought about what I had seen, and tried to put my whirling thoughts and objections into coherent words.

And then I sat down to write this review.

Perhaps this is the kind of resolution that needs time to seep its way into a person's subconscious. Maybe a little bit of time provided perspective. It could simply be my tendency to reconcile as much as possible, out of a personal desire to put the best face on it for my own comfort. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. Because the more I thought about the series, its underlying mysteries, and how it all come together in the end, it started to make sense.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that this will not work for everyone. A lot of people are going to reject what appears to be, on the surface, the use of "God" as a catch-all excuse for the dangling plot threads that always come with making the story up as you go along. That was my initial reaction as well. But looking back, I'm not so sure.

Spirituality has always been a critical element of "Battlestar Galactica". From the beginning, the Cylons were acting out of their understanding of "God's plan". They had come to believe that the survival of the Cylons required the blending of Human and Cylon, something that for them required "God's true love". It was this endless pursuit of what they felt God wanted for them that drove them forward.

The first season saw Roslin and Starbuck acting out of a genuine spiritual calling. Humans had visions and inspirations and invoked religious teachings from generations past. The writers constantly reminded the audience that "all this has happened before, and all this will happen again". That alone was evidence of a higher order connection, something ephemeral yet pervasive in the lives of Human and Cylon alike.

Over the course of the series, there were those who sought to reduce that element into the familiar. When Kara died and returned to life, how much speculation was there regarding the "Ship of Lights", as seen in the original series? How many times did someone equate the Cylon God to the original series' Count Iblis? Even I wondered if the guiding hand behind all these events pertained to the oft-mentioned but mysterious Lords of Kobol or, just as obliquely, the Cylon God.

But it's all just labels plastered on the same thing. The only difference is that the architect of this grand design is never seen or revealed; its presence is known only by effect. Someone had a plan for Human and Cylon alike, and it meant bringing them together into one species. To do that, this higher power decided that it was necessary to push and pull them in various directions, sometimes contradictory, to push them so far and so long that only mergence was a viable option.

Regardless of the label slapped on this higher power ("God", "Lucifer", the Lords of Kobol, aliens beyond our understanding, etc.), the net effect would have been the same. And that is, at its heart, a kind of agnostic metaphor for the modern world. Some agnostics hold that there may be a higher power, but the jury is still out on what that power is, if it truly exists at all. Those agnostics would say, "something is happening, the effect is undeniable, but the cause is so remote, so ephemeral, that we cannot yet define it".

It's hard to argue that the Cylons, due to their own issues, took what was given to them in terms of "divine inspiration" and turned it into a cause for violence. One might even say that this higher power knew this would happen. The Humans did the same thing, though much earlier, with the Phythian prophecies: partial information that was designed to lead them down a certain path, when the time came.

This was a grand design that required, at the critical juncture, near-constant adjustment on both sides. Thus the intervention of what Baltar ultimately termed "angels", though this is no more definitive than calling the higher power "God". These "angels", whether it be Head Six or Head Baltar or something within the Cylon "projections", were there to see that the end result was achieved. If they seemed at cross-purposes from one moment to the next, well, that's part of the equation because that's what happened. That wouldn't have changed had something more concrete been identified as the guiding hand.

Of course, the visions, dreams, and "angels" are all relatively easy to assign to this higher power; the real mystery is Kara Thrace. She was material, far more than even Head Six appeared to be on occasion. By my best estimation, Kara Thrace was assigned to play a unique role, as evidenced by her introduction to the music (representative of the guiding influence of this higher power). Was her suicide part of the plan? Looking back on "Maelstrom", it certainly could have been. Her restoration, and her quest to find answers, seemed to be part and parcel of the process of preparing both the Humans and Cylons for their eventual mergence.

Hera was equally important, because in a way, she was the desired end product of the mergence and the grand design. It wasn't to bring Colonials and Cylons together to propagate a new civilization together; it was to produce Hera and then ensure that she arrived on the new Earth in such a way that "seeding" the natives would spread her unique genetic code to a multitude of descendants.

One might say, in very loose terms, that certain Colonial and Cylon traits might not have been strong enough, genetically, to dominate in the cross-breeding with the natives of Earth. But Hera's genetic code, being the product of Human/Cylon genetic mergence, would resolve that problem. So the end of the episode suggests, even if the "mitochondrial Eve" concept was ultimately debunked: Hera, as the one true Human/Cylon hybrid, was necessary in some way to the viability of the native Earth population.

Of course, the treatment of this is far from perfect. It would have been more fitting if the Colonials and Cylons had landed in a time much closer to the modern era, perhaps around 15,000 years ago (as opposed to 150,000). This would have matched up with the vague timetable given by alternative history theorists like von Daniken and Graham Hancock. Hancock in particular likes to point out possible connections between different emerging civilizations and a potential "lost civilization". Linking that to the arrival of Colonials and Cylons, and their Earthbound distribution, would have been more elegant and would have tied into the original series in a somewhat more satisfying way.

Along similar lines, it might have been better if there hadn't been natives at all. The presence of native Humans is a nagging loose end, unnecessary to the story. It would have been equally possible for the surviving Colonials and Cylons to form small communities around the world, eventually losing what technology they had to time and wear. Hera still would have been the first of the true hybrids.

In terms of the music, while some might have wanted a more specific explanation for "All Along the Watchtower", I was fine with the explanation that was given. It reminded me, in a way, of how the higher-order communication with the Vorlons took place on "Babylon 5". Hearing the song had nothing to do with being a Cylon, other than the fact that the Final Five had to come together at a certain time to facilitate what Kara was meant to do. And the fact that the music was also the key to finding the new Earth, where the Colonials and Cylons needed to go once the conflict was over and done, was just icing on the universal language cake. Given the nature of the hybrids, it certainly seems that they were attuned to this celestial musical connection as well. (Many call mathematics the "universal language", and music is ultimately mathematics.)

Perhaps more importantly, by giving the resolution of the various mysteries a more incorporeal source, the emphasis was pushed (and rightfully so) to the characters and their acceptance of the end of their journey. Those resolutions were, for the most part, satisfying. Looking back on the past few episodes, not only do the more spiritual aspects of the resolution make more sense, but the emphasis on character is justified.

I can only imagine how much of the post-landing material was left on the cutting room floor. I imagine a great deal will end up on the DVD version. If you add up all the extra time that was given to the final 10 episodes, you've got several episodes worth of story, just on screen! Evidence, in my opinion, that Ron Moore could have produced a fifth season, had he been more confident that the SciFi Channel was going to keep it on the air.

But certain scenes never materialized. The final farewell between Adama and Tigh is probably the most obvious, but there were so many moments that still could or should have happened. I certainly don't begrudge them the time they took with the epilogue; the series finale for "Babylon 5" is nothing but epilogue, and it's one of the finest hours of television I've ever seen. I'm just not sure there was enough time to explore the ideas fully. (Also, if the finale all aired on the same night, instead of the first hour and the rest being split, it would have worked a lot better.)

The one point that needed clarification was Lee's pronouncement that they were abandoning the vast majority of their technology. The reason is simple: if they want to avoid the sins of the Colonial and Cylon way of life, they can't perpetuate that way of life. It has to start fresh. Also, the technology would wear down soon enough anyway, so why be reliant on it at all? It's not so much where they arrived, so much as the abrupt nature of the decision.

Unlike many, I liked the final scene, because it was not as obvious as it seems. Head Six and Head Baltar have some degree of optimism as they look upon the modern human race, but the montage at the end was a little less hopeful. Not the presence of the emerging robot population, but the connection to something Lee said. Lee noted that it can be a problem when our technology outstrips our ability to implement it wisely. The episode ends by lingering on a homeless man in Times Square, surrounded by the images of shiny new robot toys. Technology outpacing the heart of humanity? Perhaps, and if that was the intent, it brings the series full circle.

One might notice I haven't said a word about the rescue operation, the resolution of the Opera House, the final moments between Adama and Roslin, Boomer's attempt at redemption, or any number of other scenes worth discussion. Most of those scenes speak for themselves, particularly the final battle. It was one of the most intense of the series, even if it was remarkably straightforward. I also think it was obvious that the truce was never going to work, because they had to eliminate Cavil's forces. Sending the colony into the singularity certainly did the trick!

(One caveat: Watching the finale twice now, I think it's safe to say that the Cylon slugfest was a bit more than the effects crew could comfortably chew. In many scenes, the Cylons didn't blend into the background at all. In one case, one of the "old style" Centurions looked like he was standing in mid-air over the floor. Great idea, but it didn't quite pan out as they had intended.)

I'm not going to pretend that this finale was perfect. Far from it. As much as I can reconcile large portions of the series is it ended, other portions don't fit at all. (One glaring problem is "Home", and the constellation projection on Kobol. It doesn't fit the timeline or the explanations given this season at all.) This can be laid down at the feet of Ron Moore's preferred writing style. He doesn't plan things out; he sets up situations and lets them evolve based on character exploration. While he's often quite inventive, it doesn't allow for a strong finish. Contrast this to the style of JMS on "Babylon 5", where there was always a clear set of end conditions in mind before pen touched paper.

The ideal, perfect finale would have given a bit more resolution to certain mysteries, and would have been planned out in more detail ahead of the game. For that reason, while this gets a much better ratings than my first impression would have indicated, it's not a knock out of the park. But it did accomplish one thing very well: it has left me with a sincere desire to rewatch the series from the beginning.
  • Awful...Brilliant. The reviews range from awful to brilliant. One thing is for sure it really is the last one. There's virtually no possible follow on. Thank the gods!

The reality is somewhere in between awful and brilliant. IMHO it was more towards the brilliant. We saw quite a few metal cylons who have been conspicuously abset from most episodes. A bit of action didn't hurt either ... good hand to hand stuff and good old BG herself gets into her final bit of unbelievable action.

The opera scene is finally explained as is the original motivations of all the key human characters and how they got themselves into the story in the first place. the end game for most of the humans is revealed and some of those are dissapointing, which is perhaps where the criticisms from elsewhere originate.

Will history continue to repeat itself...well that is covered.

To be fair I think the writers have covered pretty much all of the bases. The story does make sense despite being hard to follow at time. It did go on for a bit and perhaps the last series and a half could have been condensed a lot. My other half kept watching it over my shoulder saying it was the same as the last episode and to be honest she was right most of the time. If it had been 20 or so episodes shorter I still would have kept this episode the same. It was a pretty good ending to a pretty good programme that was often brilliant and could have been brilliant but often repetitive.

I will miss it.
  • Bye-Bye Battlestar

This was truly a wonderful (and staggeringly misunderstood) finale to an amazing television series. The metaphysical elements to the story may have put off those who haven't been paying attention to them these last four years, but for me there was no other way to address them but then to... address them as the obvious supernatural elements they were. The ending was mysterious, marvelous, and came off as though the universe breathed a great sigh of relief.

I laughed, I was excited, and I was in tears. I cannot believe the hateful and horrible things I've read from people about this episode. It was a perfect wrap up - probably one of the best series finales in TV history.
  • I wasn't blown away by the finale, but the irony of the review posts is palpable.

This finale let the series down, no doubt. I thought there were much better directions the writers could have taken the questions they raised about what it means to be human or machine. The prophetic storyline became overbearing and left golden opportunities unexplored (my not give Gata a cylon leg and explore the more modern dilemma of man/machine? - how many artificial organs and limbs does it take before a person is more machine than human?) Anyway, the main point of this review is to point out the hilarious irony of all the low-scored reviews that hinged on the outrage that the colonies would leave their technology behind. Especially those suggesting that "this is not Sci-Fi". Sci-Fi is first and foremost a commentary on the present or near future situations that humanity finds itself in. The present situation, as those reviewers so clearly reveal, is that we are a generation that thinks technology is our God. Technology will eventually solve everything, technology is sacred, it must never be disposed of. You are, hilariously, missing the point of the writer. The fact that you feel so betrayed by the fleet sailing into the sun, that you are so flabbergasted that humans would leave technology behind, that you are so stunned at the stupidity of humanity not working together with Cylons to build even better technology so that the human race would have "hope"... is the WHOLE point. You are the people that the writer is giving a scathing commentary on. You are hooked on technology like a zealot is hooked on religion. Everyone mocking the religious spin on this story is missing the big laughs aimed at them because they can't see they are exactly the same, simply inserting technology for God.

The point is that technology is NOT God or even a god. Technology is the problem, but your reviews reveal your blindness to the fact. Hypnotized by the delusion that eventually, technology will solve everything, when in reality, it simply keeps killing you, over and over again, in a thousand little ways.

The colonists sent technology into the sun, because its not the answer. The writer is trying to say something about where we put our hopes today. That's what Sci-Fi does. It comments on the present. Your pro-tech reviews just add a delicious meta-narrative to the series that completely proves his point.
  • Brilliant

This was a wonderful finish to what has been one of the best TV shows of all time. After years of death and destruction I can't imagine why anyone would think these last remaing humans would want anything else but to cast aside their weapons and technology and begin a new life in peace without interrupting the natural evolution which ultimately took place on this planet. In the end we bring nothing into this world and we leave the same. It all goes back in the box.

What comes next is about faith and hope that there is a higher power greater than all of us. Thank you Ron for a great ending to an epic journey.
  • Just awful, awful writing...

2.5
    Ever since the start of Season 4 I had growing doubts about the direction of the show. BSG had always had its flaws here and there, but with this season the exception was becoming the rule. Numerous 'cop-outs' with plot and tiresome character developments, with the omnipotent presence becoming more and more apparent with every episode.

Of course a lot of the story was becoming far fetched in Season 3, the supernova being a prime example, but in my mind they could get away with it because when all was said and done I still cared about well rounded characters in a story that, well, made sense.

And so, when it came to the series finale, admittedly I wasn't expecting much by that point. However it still managed shock me with its grossly horrific use of deus ex machina to explain away four seasons worth of story in a single conclusion:

None of it mattered. God did it all.

I thought the rescue sequence was just plain stupid; at least in the Exodus episodes they had a strategic plan... Now what do they do? Jump the ship into the direct line of fire, assuming there won't be more than a couple of dozen cylons on-board or an entire fleet hanging about, assuming Anders can mystically work his magic and shut down all the other hybrids (wow, one bullet can certainly do a lot), and wait guys, how are we gonna get in? Hell, lets crash our already falling apart ship head first into the damn thing.

The conclusion of the opera house vision was incredibly disappointing; almost seemed like it had been made up on the spot, since it was ultimately pointless. Just another excuse for Gaius to ramble on about a higher being orchestrating everything for this one moment blah blah blah...

I could go on and on, but I think its starting to get a bit personal. All I'll say is, I loved the show, I loved the characters. By the end, it came to a point where, for example, when Roslin died all I could think was, "About bloody time!"

Using God, angels, a divine plan, etc. was an insult to a story that had so much potential. It turned its characters into empty plot devices and made for a tiresome and unintelligent ending.
  • You can't please everybody, especially those who expect the series to go exactly the way they want it to. For the rest of us though, it was a good end to a great show.

Watching my favorite show end was both a happy and sad occasion. On the one hand, hey they finally found Earth! On the other, the show is over. What I perceived to be a satisfying ending, that answered many questions and put to rest all of the storylines in a generally good manner was apparently terrible to those oh so few annoying folk who are determined to ruin everyone else's perception on the finale. But hey, if I wanted to get into an argument, I'd go to the forums! So here's my take: In the finally saw all of the types of Galactica shows in one. We had the big battle, the drama, some despair and finally, joy, coupled with a small pinch of confusion. But there was no major confusion, just some minor things. As usual acting was great, special effects were mind blowing and the music was fantastic. In the end, the journey was complete and they found Earth! Ah, yes. Earth. The whole point of the show!! But, when reading some of these other reviews, you don't seem to find that point anywhere. Everyone's mad that they abandoned all of there technology and how that doesn't make sense. Who cares?! They found Earth!! That's the whole hope of the human race, the thing we've been waiting to see, the thing they've been waiting to see! There's a whole bunch of reasons I could think of about why they abandoned their technology, but that doesn't really matter. In the end it couldn't be all happy. Roslin dies. I'll just say, I would have preferred that they hadn't shown her death on screen, because what should have been a happy ending, was sadly empty, because It just was sad seeing Adama like that. It wasn't a bad scene, I just would have preferred it differently. And, yes, I think we can all agree that the last few minutes were unnecessary and out of place. It's really foolish that people are treating this episode as the worst ever, giving it 1's and 2's, when looking back it did a satisfying job. Just 'cause they didn't do the episode your way, you shouldn't bring the episode's rating down and ignite a pointless firestorm. Just a shout-out to all the cast and crew of Battlestar Galactica: Thanks for making such a great show!
  • Uninspiring Cop out!

And so one of the greatest series ever comes to an end and it isnt what you want!

The first part of the finale and the epic fight against Cavil was ver imperssive(ill write a review for that soon), I see that the author had a good reason for him to commit sucide-he lost nothing he could do, he has no future. But what bugs me is that the finale was too rushed. I wanted to give this ep a 10 out of 10 but only could give it a 5 which means-Asian fail through its passable. Many critics call this ending a cop out as it wasnt logical and I agree.

Im athiest and I hate endings that give god a direct role. The story of the humans ordeals was suspensful with them trying to escape their fate by finding this place called Earth but only found what the Capitol wastelands looks like in Fallout 3 so they had to leave. But when they get to new earth everything falls apart. The rebel Cylons free their armies and allow them to roam the cosmos forever searching for their own destiny while the Rebels stay on Earth. Well good but guess what the humans have in mind.

Lee says that the humans have abused technology and that they are not ready for the responsibility of the technology they've developed, and suggests they start over by teaching the planet's humans about language and culture, but not teaching them about technology or weapons. Everyone agrees. The survivors move to the planet and take basic supplies with them, but they have Anders pilot the ships into the sun, destroying the ships. Now while I understand that they've learned their lesson I felt that this is stupid! They just remove all traces of their pasts and expect the primitive humans to not "fall over the edge" WRONG! They should have taught the primitive humans some sort of fable or story telling them not to stray from their path. Just destroying their past and "expecting" our ancestors not to follow their fate is not "learning from their mistakes"!

Then my next thing is Kara being an Angel and so is head six and head Baltar! Impossible! You're saying Moore that god helped us to Earth DIRECTLY! This is wrong I may be an athiest but I think that your god wants us to choose our paths! Give me a more logical reason that Starbuck came back then Starbuck/Kara=Jesus! A lot of things that has logical anwsers were dropped for religion. This is not fantasy this isnt deus ex mechina this is BSG!

Roslin's death wasnt sad she had been dying the whole series and now it didnt feel depressing anymore. Try writing a more depressing way for her to die.

Finally the end. We are decended from humans interbreeding with our ancestors but only Hera's fossils could be found and Head Six and Head Baltar were still alive and wondering if humans can change their ways. But it is decided that all humans do is programmed by god and then we get a annoying parade of robots.

So youre saying that the reasons we have these wars, the reason we have abused our powers, the reason for a lot of evils in society was programmed by god? Damn even christians will be offended! Youre saying we're puppets to a higher power and that all has happened before all of this will happen again. If so than humankind is doomed to extinction and this cant be the history of the Human race we are smart we can go against nature not be pawns to a higher entinity!

This is the worst copout ever it only gets a fight cause the fight was epic! Im still hopeful bout Caprica and your cylon movie but dont do this again! It was disappointing!
  • Poor show

...so it all ended not with a bang but a whimper.

If i were to really express the way i feel about this episode the chances are the review will be removed from this site for unclean language.I'll just say that Mr R.Moore and his team of writers got seriously lazy and lost the plot after season 2.Its a pattern i have seen in many series.You make a couple of good seasons,create a loyal fanbase,make your money and then run.Perhaps one day someone with enough foresight and courage will remake this series and this time do it properly.However i won't hold my breath
  • The Deconstruction of Falling Stars

And so we reach the end. A mini-series and four seasons later, we get to have the final revelations. (Note: I refer to the finale simply as "Daybreak 2", as I'm not constrained by the needs of iTunes and the double-header was listed as a single-span "feature length" episode when aired on the UK's Sky 1 channel.)

It was patently obvious that the final episodes would split the ranks of fans that have followed Adama, Thrace, Boomer, Cavil, Tigh and Tyrol et al. Let's be perfectly honest here: BSG climbed some marvellous heights through its time on air – but it has also plumbed some depths we could probably have done without. There can be no mistaking the magnificent consistency of the show was only maintained through the mini series and the first two seasons; and even then, by season two – as fabulous as much of it was - cracks were beginning to appear (take "Scar" as an example). Certainly, by season 3 it was pretty evident the writers were scrabbling around to try and keep things moving forward while not entirely clear on where they actually wanted to go, and season 4 has been, it's very fair to say, patchy. Episodes have either been enjoyed or loathed, with little half-measure between. So the finale was always going to be between a rock and hard place. No matter what Moore et al did, it was inevitable that they'd pee-off someone or other in the process. And given this, they opted to go in the direction I think it fair to say few of us anticipated given the series' overall dark tones: a happy ending. What's more, it's a happy ending that only really addresses two key issues that have marked the show throughout: religion and technology, using both to frame the closure to the arcs of the principal characters. Technology, and its ability to impact our lives, to affect our perceptions of the future – to influence and even control our everyday actions – and whether it is necessarily a "good" thing has very much been at the centre of BSG. Face it: the Cylon wars were about this very fact when you strip them of the whys and wherefores, all neatly encapsulated in the strap line originally used for the mini series: "never create what you can't control". Religion also has been at the centre of BSG right from the get-go. This is so fundamental that anyone feeling betrayed by the notion of "angels" in the finale, or that Moore et al went for a "cop-out" really need to go back and watch and listen to the preceding 4 seasons very carefully. Given what has gone before, no-one should be at all surprised that the writers were so finally decisive on the idea that humanity is being watched over by higher powers that uses angels of divine intervention to influence and guide us. True, elements of this revelation were not well handled – something I'll return to later – but to dismiss the episode because of this is really to miss the point entirely. And there was absolutely nothing wrong in selecting these themes as the frame to the final episodes. Indeed, had they not been addressed then there would be a massive hole sitting at the end of the Galactica mythos.

Now, we could have had a much darker ending: while saving Hera, some, at least of our lead characters could have met their ends. Galactica herself could have been lost in the assault. We could have been faced with the collapse of hope, the destruction of dreams in a maelstrom of hurt, death and despair which fulfil the mantra first uttered by Leoben: "All this has happened before, all this will happen again." As we witness the cycle starting once more. But we didn't. Does that lessen the outcome at all? Well, on the whole no, it doesn't – although I do admittedly say that with one or two reservations. In the majority of respects, the finale was good – in places very good. But I would stop short of calling it "great" as some have over-enthusiastically cheered. "Great" for a science-fiction series finale comes in the form of Babylon 5's "Sleeping In Light", and while I'm going to get a lot of thumbs-down for this next statement: "Daybreak" was not as well-written or structured as "Sleeping In Light" – and the disappointing fact of the matter is that it could have been. In saying this, I would point out that the fault is not solely with the finale itself; its roots lie some way back in Season 3 and were nurtured through some of the many faltering steps witnessed during the latter half of season 4. Given this, I really don't think it is unreasonable to sum up the experience of watching the final 2 hours of BSG as "satisfying". Where criticism is warranted, it is not at the idea of "divine intervention" seemingly coming out of nowhere; nor is it in Cavil's action in blowing his own head off – he'd lost the tactical advantage and he'd lost the strategic end-game: that went as soon as he handed over Hera. Similarly, and in difference to the howls from those who are comfortable with the story, Tyrol's action towards Tori IS utterly in keeping with his character. If anyone is really in doubt as to what he felt for Cally (his love for Boomer notwithstanding) – then I suggest you go back and examine his reaction to Cally's death and the grief he suffered thereafter. Add to this his recent gutting by Boomer – the way she manipulated and used him to get to Hera – and it is pretty obvious there is a wellspring of anger within him that is just waiting to be released. So really, it is simply NO surprise that he throttles Tori when the revelation of her crime finally emerges. And as for Baltar's "Head Six" and Caprica's "Head Baltar" – both are absolutely logical and fit the frame perfectly. Never mind that many of us (myself included) wanted something different from this, the fit is absolutely perfect. Not only is it in keeping with all of "head Six's" commentary about God and there being a plan and higher purpose – it also explains exactly how Baltar survived the nuclear strike that razed his home in the mini series: he was touched by God; rescued to fulfil his destiny. No all these threads fit the weave of the BSG tapestry perfectly. Yes, the realisation is a little rushed, but that's down to so much time being wasted elsewhere. Again, while the flashback sequences in "Daybreak 1" and "Daybreak 2" were nice vignettes, the majority of them didn't actually add anything of significance to any of the characters that we didn't already know. So what if Adama has been on the verge of retiring prior to getting the Galactica assignment? Did that really reflect on his actions throughout the series? Did those moments (the gratuitous vomiting shot or the polygraph test) really tell us anything insightful about him that we didn't already know? And Roslin losing her father and sisters – did that really give added understanding about who she is? No. Right from the mini series we were given enough back-story to her character that we could understand her early motivations ("we have to stop fighting and start making babies"….) and witness her transition without feeling in any way distanced from her. Similarly, her one-night stand did little to reveal her early political motivations….

The only two vignettes that made any real sense were those of Thrace and Baltar – and even then they are tissue-thin. To take Baltar's first: this had two functions. The first was to establish that really, deep down, after all is said and done, it wasn't just sex with Six/Caprica – it was LOVE; now, had we seen something of this prior to the episode, then the flashbacks wouldn't have seemed so clunky. Better still, they wouldn't have been needed, thus given time to expand other elements within the finale. And both Caprica and Baltar have been aboard the Galactica for some overtures to have been made between them. Left to a matter of flashbacks to establish this apparent deep-seated love jars with much of what we actually saw in the mini series and the early episodes of BSG. And the second reason for Baltar's flashback is also weak in that it is really only there to support one of his final lines, "I do know how to farm," something that would not have made the slightest sense, but for the "Daybreak 1" revelation that his father had been a farmer…. Finally, there is Thrace's flashback. While it plumbed the background of her relationship(s) with Lee and Zak, coming at this stage in the story, it wasn't really needed, as nothing was shown on screen that we did not already know. Rather than give depth, the flashback rather seemed a contrivance in order to give credence to the notion that Thrace was pre-ordained to fulfil a destiny – but again, we already knew that, so there was nothing intrinsic in her flashbacks that contributed to the arc of the finale. Take out the 10+ minutes devoted to these flashbacks in "Daybreak 1" and you have 10 minutes to better establish what needs to be portrayed now.
    And one cannot mention Starbuck's flashback without considering her part in the finale. Again, many have cried "foul!" here, or have tried to plumb the "meaning" a little too deeply. While her disappearance was just a little too pat, too romantic, in execution – the revelations around her were most certainly not; not were they out-of-character. Throughout the show, it has been obvious that Kara Thrace has a unique destiny; not just because Leoben rabbited on about it as long ago as Season 1, but because time and again, Thrace found herself at the epicentre of key events in the survivors' journey. And she died and was resurrected so – like Baltar – she could fully complete her role in the unfolding events. But where Baltar had a "guardian" in the form of "Head Six" to occasionally prod him in the right direction (probably because he'd otherwise be unable to see past his own ego), Thrace was left to muddle things through for herself. She didn't need a guardian to prod or reveal what needed to be done, because at the end of the day, her innate abilities would compel her to do what was required, so "God", somewhat capriciously, left her to get on with it. So there was nothing foul or wrong or stupid in her exit from the show. She had fulfilled her purpose and done so in such a way that she would not be forgotten – Lee would see to that; what's more, she was already dead – there can be no doubt of that. Ergo, there simply was no reason for her to remain. And for those of you hung up on the "Thrace is an angel?!" bit: forget it! She isn't and wasn't. She was human through-and-through. Even after her resurrection, she was STILL human. She had not "transcended" or anything else. She had simply be brought back from the dead, together with all her angst, foibles, fears and wants. There is no betrayal in her character whatsoever in the finale. Rather the reverse: there is a perfect continuance. Even at the end, she is still unsure about many things; she simply knows that whatever else, she has fulfilled the greater part of her destiny and it is now time to let go….

If there is any criticism at all in the way her part was handled, it was in the intimations given that she was somehow "angelic" in nature – particularly the selected flashback dialogue from her first meeting with Leoben. This was a mistake on Moore's part, and has unnecessarily muddied the waters. No, all the "religious" angles in "Daybreak 2" are actually present and correct; they are justifiable on many levels and are entirely in keeping with the broader "arc" of the show. As such, they offer a very satisfying conclusion, primarily framed against some of the most action-driven scenes witnessed throughout BSG's run.

For me, the culmination of these threads was most perfectly exemplified as the meaning of the opera house was finally revealed. I say this not only because it was, as I'd always suspected, a metaphor for the Galactica itself, but because the flow of the two scenes - protecting Hera on the ship and the flashbacks to the opera house, perfectly set-up Baltar's monologue that occurs in CIC: realisation dawns on him and we seen vision / dreams come mesh perfectly with reality, right down to the Five up on the gallery, gives us perfect closure to that particular arc while pointing the way to the final resolutions.

If only the final 30 minutes had been so beautifully and believably framed; for it is within these that the episode demonstrates hubris and ultimately does cheapen itself in its overall convenience. In saying this, I'm not critiquing the individual closures we see: the aforementioned departure of Thrace; Roslin's death; the goodbyes and splitting of the survivors. No, all these elements work and are fitting for the characters and the story. When "Daybreak 2" was in pre-production, Moore allegedly wrote on a whiteboard "It's about the characters, stupid" in order to emphasize the heart of the story, and these little vignettes, the farewells, underline this perfectly.

What is at fault is the background against which they are set – and the missed opportunity. While technology may well have been at the root of all humanity's woes, discarding it so readily is, I'm afraid, just a little too trite and speaks more of Moore's own views on things than it does of the BSG story. It's also hard to believe that 38,000 people – people previously shown to be unwilling to let go of creature comforts to the extent of participating in black market enterprises; who were unwilling to let go of outmoded (from day 1 following the Cylon attack) modes of government, who rarely looked beyond their own immediate needs, would all to a man, woman (and child) give unanimous support to Lee Adama's "vision". And even if it was necessary to get rid of the ships (questionable at this point in time, even given the fact Galactica was crippled), it's hard to see that they'd do so with such ready acceptance that it is the right thing to do. If nothing else, the medical facilities on board just one of the larger vessels could prove invaluable. So what if their DNA is compatible with Earth human DNA? The fact remains they were entering an entirely new biosphere, exposing themselves to any number of diseases and illnesses unknown to their bodies and from which their immune systems may not provide sufficient protection; similarly, who is to say the "common Colonial cold" might not be a fatal epidemic if caught by the natives?

No, the "let's leave technology and start over" was all a little too pat. Supplies run out; equipment breaks; machines break down. Nothing lasts forever. As such, there was no reason they could not utilise the technology they could carry / take with them. Even if it broke down / ran out / wore out after a few months / years, its very presence with them might better help them establish themselves on this raw and wild planet.

Moore has frequently pointed out that certain types of TV science-fiction are a little too sanitised, too perfect, too clean….too utopian. The irony in this ending for BSG is that he has pushed it into its own utopian conclusion: the evil technology is gone, everyone is free from their burdens and free to build a wonderful new life on Earth, free from the mistakes of the past! Sorry, Ron. That's just a little too pat, too easy. And it is the major reason why the finale is satisfying rather than outstanding. What, then, of the 150,000 year fast-forward to the "present day"? Well, despite my critique above, I have little in the way of a problem with it; in most respects it was the perfect bookend. The "heads" are there, contemplating all that has happened and cogitating on all that may yet happen. The dialogue is perhaps a little too sappy compared to what we'd expect from BSG, but it works. And while we do get the over-arching note of optimism from Six that the cycle may have been broken – for now – the underlying hint, visually and verbally, is that the break may only be temporary. Even as Hendrix plays, the camera pans across destitute people beneath glowing plasma screens showing glossy robots and human-like androids; and as it does, one cannot help but hear those words once more: "all this has happened before….all this will happen again…" in the back of one's head as the picture fades to back.

Fitting. Completely and utterly fitting; hope tinged with warning.
< 1 2 3