Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (3)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• The end of the fracking series!

And Moses showed them the way. There was a deep Moses undertone in this story. It was very Biblical in nature. You could see the mountains and the grass and the swords and lasers turned into plowshares so that they could start farming in peace. Laura like Moses saw the promised land and than never really got to enjoy the land of milk and honey so to speak.

You know it is very hard to close out a great show like this one. There are going to be some good things and some bad things. I felt for the most part there were a lot more good things than bad and even some of the things I may not have liked completely I still am willing to give them an A for effort and the willingness to at least try to be different.

First the excellent. I love what they did with Baltar and Six. They did the full circle thing they were meant to be together. Baltar just needed to be a better person. And I believe my interpretation of the hallucinations were that they were in fact guardian angels sent by you know who. And fast forward into the future they were still there watching over the Earth to see if they would be needed again to save it. I thought this was interesting. I mean the writers didn't really want to spell out heavy handedly the God connection, but I believe that is exactly what they did.

That Galon scene with the murderer of Cala by his side was the show stopper. It was the best scene in this episode bar none.

I thought a lot of the jumping back in time worked descent even if it was a little bit klunky. I will say early Laura Roslin was utterly worthless and added nothing to the episode. I would rather have had more Apollo and Starbuck than those worthless nothing added to the episode scenes, but they were short and mostly harmless so I'll give them a pass.

Just some random stuff. Anybody catch Ronald Moore in the end of the episode? I also think there was a slight shoutout to Star Trek First Contact in this one. Even if there wasn't any actual filmed contact.

I don't know if these things are bad or good but I'll comment on them. Hera in my opinion is a copy of the Starchild in an older series named V. She was the hope of both races and than. Well in this case she did lead the way to Earth, didn't she? Anyone notice the walking stick Moses shoutout! I don't know if she really lived up to the hype with the writing like she should have, but it wasn't too bad either. V just got cancelled before that Star Child could actually do something. Like I said cut out some of that useless Laura Roslin spring fling stuff and maybe there would have been better closure there, but it still wasn't too bad.

And finally Starbuck and Apollo. Well first of all I think the way the writers perceived them was kind of a hardcore Princess Leia and Luke relationship. She was his sister. Not, by blood, but that is the way they treated them in the series. They were related they just ignored it until they had to say goodbye in the end. Now, her dissapearance? I refuse to accept her as an Angel. I'd rather interpret it to Lee's imagination of a goodbye long ago. I don't think they really satisfactorily answered the Kara question maybe Caprica the series is supposed to answer that one. I don't know. But I think sometimes when you have a great series like this one. And they entertained you season after season. And they came up with a decent ending right down to the making robots repetition of history. You have to cut them a little slack and accept that some mysteries are never going to be completely answered on TV or in life. Now, where did Amelia Earhart go again? I think Starbuck is right there beside her! Great show, I hate to see her go!
  • A few misfires left this an unsatisfying end.

Battelstar Galactica was wonderful because it fits the bill of an epic story so perfectly. Just as in the Aeneid or Odyssey, our heroes are on a long and trying quest home, living a journey that without question is divinely inspired. The sense of things being as they were destined to been how such an unlikely sci-fi story has managed to seem gritty, real, and not at all far-fetched.

Where the show played to these strengths, the finale was wonderful. The plot surrounding Baltar and Caprica Six and their hallucinations really came full circle, and there was an undeniable beauty in having the shared vision of the Opera House, such a large and strange driving force, turned out to be the slightest of cogs in God's great plan. The death of Roslyn on reaching the promised land is no less fitting. As with the final sequence, everything comes full circle.

When we get down to reality, things take a slightly worse turn. We're to believe that one raider with a salvo of relatively small missiles destroyed the Cylon Colony where the dozen others like it made no dent. Alright. Perhaps the others were recalled during the truth. Cavil masterminding the split of the Cylon race, only to eat his gun when things get slightly hairy? A little out of character and anticlimactic, but fine. Kara's song working as jump coordinates to a habitable planet? Wonderful. But a little less so when you wonder how that managed to be the deliberately chosen rendevouz with nobody realizing there was a planet out there.

In complaining, I'll ignore the obvious issues with whatever happened to Kara and exactly how someone discovering a habitable planet makes them the harbinger of death, and focus on the greater problem: the ending was not really happy. When you watch a show this long you care for the characters. We watched the estranged Adamas become a tight-knit family, and with Bill's desire to show his girlfriend some animals a few hundred yards away, flies off into the sunset with the most cursory of goodbyes. Gaelen Tyrol sets off to conquer Scotland all by his lonesome, and Lee is left to explore the wilderness without the woman he loves or the father he finally found. Or anybody else.

Have the producers not Fraking seen "Castaway?" A life of complete isolation from other human beings is neither constructive, nor peaceful, nor happy. It's a tortured existence, one that normally leads to insanity. Knowing that the fate of these people - who have thought so hard and prayed for so long, and earned our empathy and care in the process - is to live what will surely be a tortured existence once the novelty wears off, leaves a disquiet in my sole, an emptiness in my heart, and a bitter taste in my mouth. What the frak were they thinking?!?!
  • Fracking brillijant ending

This is by far the best ending i've seen for a sci-fi show in a long time the only bad thing about it is that know BSG is over. Thanks for an awesome ridde over the years. since the first mini serius came you i knew this show was going to be kick ass and it has not disappointed me so when this final episode came i had already got my soda and snak ready + skittlers for some quality bad ass show which like i said before did not disapoint, I just wanna think Ron moore, the cast and everyone that ever worked on BSG for a fantastick work over the years and i'm just said that this is the last time we see BSG ( maybe not one can hope) .
  • Adama and the Galactica Crew attack the Cylon hub in the hope to save Hera and Humanity. A fitting Finale

For the sake of this monumental occasion I have just saved time and will review both final eps in this one review. Most of us, afterall, would have seen this as one ep anyway.

The end is finally here for the best Sci-Fi show in decades. For all that saw it, even infrequently, you can't deny that this show was brimming with quality in every area of the production. From the cast, to the directors and to writers this show was a true labour of love. As such there was true pressure on this last episode to tie all the loose ends as well as give a fitting and satisfying conclusion for all the fans. From where I was sitting this was done near perfect as all the characters you care for get an ending fitting of the last four seasons.

In the final stand Adama takes the volunteer Galactica crew into the heart of the nebula where the Cylon hub is in the hope rescuing Hera from the Cylons. Before they leave Adama assigns a new Admiral for the fleet and Lee appoints a new president for the colonies. After that the rest of the Galactica crew flee the ship to joint other ships in th fleet. As the crew are leaving Gaius gets an attack of conscience and decides to leave his flock and stay on Galactica. He takes his position on the ship preparing for an attack, alongside his Six. The 4 main Cylons decide to hook Anders into the CIC so that he may be able to shut down the hub's defences from there. Once all the planning is done the Galactica jumps into the nebula right alongside the hub. They are attacked straight away but Anders is able to disable the guns on the hub son enough, forcing the hub to release the fighters.

Here the crew attack the hub on three fronts, boarding via galactica, Attacking via Vipers and boarding via Raptors. Along with the turned Cylons the crew are able to enter the hub with little trouble. As this happens Boomer's guilt overwhelms her and attacks the cylon studying Hera. She takes her and finds Helo's team and hands Hera over to him before she is killed. With Hera in hand they begin to call all the teams in the hub to return to Galactica who are facing a breach of their own upon the teams' return.

Here is where all the little things that have been seen throughout the show that may have puzzled you begin to make sense. The opera house in the visions of Roslin are symbolic of Galactica and her chase to find Hera in Galactic. This comes to pass as Hera runs away frightened as Helo is wounded. But, as in Gaius' vision of the opera house it is Six that picks Hera up and moves her to the CIC with Gaius. At this point both are aware of the "invisible them" are made apparent to one another.

It is here at the CIC where the head cylon (I can't believe I have forgotten his name)takes Hera at gun point. Gaius opens up to him about the angels around him and the devine power in motion and that Hera is the key to human survival as well. A deal is then set that Humans have Hera while the five will give the cylons resurrection in exchange for peace and an end to the chase. It is agreed but all goes south when the link is made between the five and cheif discovers how Callie died leading him to sever the link and kill the person responsible for her death. The cylons percieve this as a trap and begin shooting. Soon all the cylons are killed aboard Galactica and a depleted and dying pilot shoots missiles into a weakened hub causing it to explode and ultimately kill off the cylons. In a hurry Adama orders Kara to jump them out but they have no co-ordinants. As a last ditch effort Kara uses the numbers she worked out from the song Hera drew as the jump co-ordinants. The jump works but the Galactica is done for and can no longer jump.

Kara had taken them to a fertile planet that we know as Earth. Soon the whole fleet is there and they begin to settle, discovering only primitive tribes there to share the planet with.

From here we get the several goodbyes that are all very well done and tie everything up so that nothing is left unknown. I won't go into these just trust me in that these are done splendidly and no one major is missed.

From here we are taken to 150,000 years later to present day New York where we see Gaius and Six reading the papers that say that new fossils have been discovered in Tanzania that are the believed to be of the first human that lead to our strand of human being. We soon discover the fossil is of Hera, bringing in the cool notion of today's humans are a Cylon/human hybrid.

The great thing about the end in the present day is that it is not too preachy. Not to say it doesn't have a message, it just doesn't jam it down you throat. Tis finale did all any finale of a great show can do, leave you needing no more than what you have been given. Goodby Battlestar Galactica it's one been one frakin hell of a ride!
  • End of the journey..

When part 2 was mostly about end of the story, the end of the fight, then this, part 3, was the culmination and end for chars. It felt like very, very long and painful goodbye and at least I found myself crying quite much.

It had everything - it had beautiful scenery, it had great story, many char moments, tears, philosophy, hope, some answers but not all. The only thing I was not sure about was the idea of the ending.. finding the our Earth, trying to break the cycle and leave everything. I get it was important for story, to wrap it up but somehow.. it felt weird. But that's just one thing.. other than that.. and even with that, it was amazing.

Loved the way Kara just disappeared, the final journey to the sun, Roslin and Adama..

It has been one amazing serie.. and that was stunning ending for it.
  • "You will know the Truth"... my arse !

Oh boy, what a lie this commercial was !

All the mission preparations, the splitting of the fleet, the first flashbacks on Caprica, and then the final and frakkin' epic battle against the Cylon colony, all of this was pure televisioned genius !
    Great pacing, great acting, great action, great everything !
    I really enjoyed the opera twist, where we find out it was the Galactica, the vision comes true, Tyrol killing Tori... I was so excited, I kept repeating myself "Oh my god, we're gonna know the Truth !!"

Then, they find Earth... our actual Earth, with all the prehistoric tribes, and send Anders and all the ships to the sun and start a new life.
    Then, again, while Sam was heading to his certain death, I repeated myself "Oh my god, we're gonna know the Truth !!"

Then, a bit later on, we see Hera walking in the fields, the camera focuses on her and I keep, faithfully, repeating myself "Oh my god, we're gonna know the Truth !!"

And... nothing.
    Nothing about Hera and her mental connection with "God"s plan.
    Nothing about Kara and her "harbinger of death" thing, how did she came back ?
    What was the point of this "dying leader" knowing the truth about the opera house ? When Athena, Baltar and Caprica discover it too..

Nothing about the Bob Dylan song (so what, our Dylan is supposed to be another cylon-human hybrid in the end ? Maybe God ? sigh...)

And above all, what WAS this higher power who manipulated everyone ?
    Damnit, ending the series by not explaining the most important mystery of it was the easiest and laziest way.
    Come on, even Asimov explained the mystery of Second Foundation and the Robots, and that was brilliant !
    So, why not here ? Well, because Asimov didn't write this script...
    How moron am I !

The last quarter of this long and fantastic Daybreak is utter disappointment. I like ambiguous endings, like in Quantum Leap for instance, but here, there are too many plotholes left unfulfilled to be a satisfying finale.
  • Well Done!!!

I've been watching Battlestar now since I was ten. A great finally... We now understand, in the Battlestar world, where Earth came from.

I understand a lot of people's complaints that everything was not divuldged, but that it life. There are no answers here, just as there are no answers for the afterlife that we face if any at all. All in all a 10. Thank you for one of the best season enders in a long while. Now we'll see if Lost was worth the last 5 years of my life.... 100 words huh? Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word, Word,
  • Horrible finish to an amazing series.

Continuing from my review of Daybreak 2, things begin to go even further downhill as the fleet discovers Earth. While Daybreak 2 lacked purpose, Daybreak 3 lacked believability. In this episode, we were expected to believe that the humans would willingly throw away all their technology and advancement to leave themselves with a "clean slate", bringing on shorter life spans, complete loss of access to medical care, higher death rate, etc. Apparently we were expected to swallow that the fleet would willingly spread themselves out in isolation and sail their ships away into the sun to "break the cycle" which they really weren't breaking at all. It seems that the writers just gave up and said "s**, I don't know to end all these plot lines we've been developing, let's throw in some deus ex machinae and some spiritual nonsense, then close with some snappy modern day 'message' and pictures of...get this...DANCING ROBOTS!". Again, I won't go into specifics because there are simply too many. Most of the explanations to the shows many mysteries turned out to be absolute garbage (and the poor writing of this episode was highlighted with such plot devices as angels and "God"). Ultimately, it became evident that the writers at some point were simply making things up as they went along with no bigger picture of over-reaching arc conclusion to finish it off with. They did amazing work through the series, only to back themselves into a corner and resolve it all rather poorly. This ending could have been amazing, but instead it was pure hippie trash. Unfortunately it seems that the viewers of the show are willing to swallow anything Ron Moore throws at them, hence all the undeserved 10 ratings. In the end, an amazing show with an amazingly disappointing finale.
  • Terrible ending to a Great Series!!! There is so much nonsense in this episode that it is hard to list them all, oh well...

2.5
    Wow, this was very bad. It's a pity really, this was a great series. I can't count the amount of important plot points that were conveniently explained by "Its Gods Plan!!"... Well, we do know the writers had no plan... So, no explanation of Starbucks disappearance ?? She was just an angel???? Ok..

We are going to let all of the cylons go find themselves, and none of them are coming back?? Ok…

We go to all of the trouble to find Hera. Making a daring rescue that stretches credulity. They were able to rescue her because she is so important to both races and has The Secret. Then we find out, Just Kidding No Secret, She's Just a Kid!!! Ok..

All the human settlers are going to forgo all of their technology, just because… Ok..

We are going to fly all of our ships into the sun, just because… Ok...

The two phantom angels of God (sorry he doesn't like being called that) serve no real purpose at the end Ok..

They find Hera's bones alongside her parents 150000 years in the future but Nobody finds any space ships or tech… Ok..

Well Ok, this was an awful ending to a great series so all I can say is …. Ok… oh well
  • What a way to go.

This was by far one of the most disappointing series endings I've ever seen. They left far to many story lines untold. We'll know the truth? Right, we know nothing. This was a disappointing ending to what should have been a powerhouse close for the series. This series evidently hit its peak in season two and has been struggling ever since. Pity they couldn't have given it the send off it deserved. I guess the writers ran out of ideas and it all crashed and burned. So much for this series. And they expect success from the prequel thing Caprica? Right, I won't be watching it.
  • A conclusion so fulfilling it left me shocked. An epic story, beautiful cinematography and a powerful musical score; Poetry in Motion.

I never would have dreamed of this, but the inevitable has happened. I'm in loss for words. This has easily been the best television show of all time and I am proud to be a witness of it's beauty. Poetry in motion, I am in awe and a fan forever. I want to thank the incredible writers, cast and crew for giving me this wonderful gift.

To the already legendary, instant classic; epidome of a story, picture and musical score!

Taken a piece of my heart!

ps. To all you disaproving, action hungry, supervisual peoples: Leave the hatered and unconscious criticism at home, no one believes you, no one cares. pps. So say we all! Cheers to my fellow bsg heads!
  • Admiral Adama leads a group of volunteers aboard the Galactica into a dangerous mission to rescue Hera.

4.5
    You know, watching the finale I really couldn't help but come to an epiphany: I stopped liking this show a long time ago.

The first season of Battlestar was a blast, the humans were on the run, surviving by their wits. But the beginning of the end was when Sharon started having visions of babies in opera houses. That's when the shows Achilles heel began to show itself: New Age "Spiritual" Bullcrap. Oh this virus spread slowly at first, I got to enjoy plenty of neat space battles and that wicked Pegasus storyline and other cool stuff. The show hit its peak early in season three with the New Caprica storyline. After that, the show quit using political allegory to stretch its intellect and leaned entirely on this crazy fate/religion/spirits stuff. From then on the show started trotting out nonsense like the final five, the spirit of Space Dylan (which for the life of me still doesn't make any sense), and a absolute obsession with babies and reproduction. That's not to say the show completely jumped the shark, there were enough cool storylines to keep me hoping that the show would get back on track, but in the end the "spiritual" mumbo jumbo won over and took over. Somewhere around the time they decided to go on a suicide mission over some freaking kid. If anyone can explain why this kid is so important I'd be happy to hear it. It seems like Ronald D. Moore just assumed if he said the kid was important enough times we'd all just accept it. Well you know what… I don't fraking accept it Ron, and I can't exactly get too involved in the shows climactic suicide mission when its objective seems to be little more than a symbol. Also I never liked the "Gaius Baltar seeing things" storyline from the very beginning, and it never got better. I would have shot the guy in the head in season one if I was writing it and it would have been for the best.

I don't want to be too hard on the show. It remained the most hardcore sci-fi show since Babylon 5 all the way through. The effects were great, the acting was good, and there were enough good moments to keep me watching; but it was brought down by self-indulgent writing and massive pretension. It's the kind of show you really desperately want to like, but eventually realize has just been jerking you around for years.
  • Sigh...

A series that started so well, had us gnawing at our nails from episode one and gripping our seats by through '33' - we knew it was going to be something special. And that it was. And then Season 4 arrived, and then Season 4.5 arrived. Battlestar Galactica did not end with this episode, it ended months ago.

In The Last Frakkin Special, Ron Moore talks about how the team struggled to figure out how they were going to move with 4.5, how the plot was going to develop. He had an epiphany in the show that 'its about the characters, stupid'. This gross misjudgment meant Battlestar would never be the same.

Battlestar's biggest hook and biggest area of success was always, always the plot - we grew to care about the characters BECAUSE of the plot, BECAUSE they were inside this plot, BECAUSE they were in constant danger. Our emotional investment was born from the high stakes plot - humanity, the whole of humanity, on the brink of extinction, not just a dozen or so lead characters. And then the show became a soap opera with no stakes and little tension. Random chess pieces were added to an already finely balanced board that we had grown with and understood felt a part of... the show became confused, a scatterbrained plot with numerous unresolved (or worse, ignored) threads that had seemed so important before, but now dropped on a whim. Talk about severing emotional investment in the show. As tension was built and dropped haphazardly and regularly, momentum stagnated and the show with it.

So we get to the final few hours and we have a chess board so crowded and chaotic that we do not know where to look or what plot lines to trust any more. It's one thing being excited at not knowing how a show/movie is going to end, it's another having lost too much faith in the writing to be able to accept the outcome.

Problems with the episode:

- Galactica, apparently almost dead anyway, somehow survives a full-on barrage from the colony. And then manages to jump away. Give me a break.

- One barrage from one ship destroys the colony. Even worse, it's an absolute fluke, a dead pilot's hand just happens to fall on some button at what just happens to be the right angle at what just happens to be at the time when it's aimed at the colony. And to top it all off, there is a big hole in the ship's window meaning there would be no pressure and gravity inside meaning that the ship being hit by an asteroid would not cause the arm to 'fall' how it did. Contrived nonsense.

- Hera, miraculously saved after throwing half of humanity on the line (and miraculously being found easily amidst this huge colony), is then lost THREE TIMES in about as many minutes on Galactica. The last one when she's grabbed on the bridge was one of the most contrived scenes in Battlestar history.

- 30,000 people are landing on this new home, are we to believe that they all wandered solo to random locations, no large settlements were constructed and that they all renounced technology? Give us some credit here!

- Starbuck... she was an angel all along :) An angel that doesn't know she's an angel, that everyone can see and that can fire guns and fly ships. Which brings me to...

- the "Erm, it was God, fill in the missing pieces as you see fit, we're off to the pub", finale, which belongs down there with "It was all a dreaaammm" as far as plot completions goes.

Season 4.5 should have been an outstanding, tense, high stakes, dramatic finale to an amazing show, and we would have cared for the characters no less than we do now.

Thanks for the good times, Moore! Pity you bottled it at the end!
  • Fantastic end to a fantastic series. Funny to see how people on this site are split between hating and loving this episode - but suppose it's always like that with series endings. I, for one, loved this episode!...

Fantastic end to a fantastic series.

I, for one, loved this episode! Most of the remaining plotlines were picked up beautifully and the characters got a happy ending - which I think was right, after all their trials and tribulations..

Also it's nice to see it ending with, yet another, social comment. And for those who disliked that, I'd claim they never really understood the general subtext of the entire series anyway..

Only sad thing about this episode is that it's a farewell to the greatest show on TV in a long time!
  • Contrary to those crying Deus Ex Machina, the finale has stuck true to the show's plot and opens up healthy interpretation of about the themes of Battlestar Galactica.

I see so much critics yelling out that the God explanation was a cop-out for the show. No - it was not a cop-out. It may have actually been brilliance in the fact that it ties so many of BSG's themes together in such a profound way. BSG is not a story where you read from front to end, close the book, and trash it. You're going to probably need to brainstorm an essay afterwards. The ending result is based on the viewer's interpretation. To simply think that the explanation was "Oh, it's God..." is just asinine. And this is not a surprise. From the mini-series Head Six mentions that God has a plan and that he's going to execute it. As Adama says in the retirement speech of the miniseries: "You cannot play God and wash your hands of the things you've done." Introducing an actual god was smart for the show. It is not unsolvable, it is just that if you interpret and analyze the explanation in a different way, you won't like it. He made a plan and sent Head Six and Baltar to carry out the plan. The plan was to restart life. He loves his creation, and he does so so much that when his (imperfect) creation becomes its own cancer (war and such), he doesn't just wipe out existence and go BAH! He had his creation start over. Again and again. He watches over his creation, always hopeful that this time his creation will only hold the good and not the bad. Even this God needs his own leap of faith and hopeful sentiment. And this is a real theme in the show. Trusting and making leaps of faith, living hopeful lives. It's about the responsibility of being all powerful. There are so many varying degrees of playing god. Humans played god on the cylons. the final five played god on their skinjobs. Cylons playing god on their own centurions. a higher being playing god on his humans and cylons!

A good analogy for why this God did what he did is such that Ellen created Cavil. As much as Cavil emulated the bad characteristics of life, Ellen continued to love him. Even after all that he's done, she believes that he could change. God didn't just get rid of his creation. "God is love." He loved his creation and he believed we could change, also. This ending creates so much discussion on philosophy in spirituality, morals in humanity, and the nature of mankind. What we need to do is not just close the book after the last page, but to really analyze the themes of BSG. Like Olmos says, 25 years from now this show is going to be a fine wine. Acting was great. Cinematography was great. Pew pew! was awesome. And Bear McCreary does his finest work. Well played.
  • Verry poor writing, actors where awesome. Some how in season 4 people where expecting more of Battlestar Galactica and see a grand finally but it was getting less and less interesting to watch.

I watch this serie from day one and it's laugh how this last episode is filmed. The serie started very good in the first season lots of action and verry intressting stuff happening. Was pleased to see the writers come up with something good. Season 2 and 3 where not so good as season 1 because somehow religion was a part of the season. Some how in season 4 people where expecting more of Battlestar Galactica and see a grand finally but it was getting less and less interesting to watch. But the outcome of Battlestar Galactica was suprising but the build up that it was a divine intervention was comming a long way. The writers should have keep out the religion stuff in this serie, they should have been fired with the people who said they should write it like this. The serie could have been better then original one, the writers toke some stuff from that serie but raped it with this out come.
  • A good ending for the greatest TV-show for years.

I have loved BSG ever since i saw the first episode. BSG has it all. This episode is the final episode of the series. And it, for me, did what it should. It brought it back full circle. Especially the last 5 minutes were great. I loved them. Ronald Moore almost made a perfect series with the new BSG (and i loved his cameo in the last 5 minutes). Though there were things i did not like in the series: like when they put sucide-bombings and other Iraq-parallels in season 3. They should never have gone that way. But season 4 made up for it. I understand why many do not like the ending - we all have different takes on it. And when you are ending something people will always cry up about it. If the series had just ended after seasin 1, like the original 1978-sreies, then the same people that hate this ending would have cried up about that the series had not ended. So who cares about them. The series ended in a way that was logical to the kind of universe the series potrayed.

I love this final episode and the ending of the series. I love BSG, except the sucide-bombing homage of season 3. A great series. A great ending that deserves a 10 out of 10 for the whole series.
  • Not Science Fiction. Those who give the last two seasons 10 will love it. Those who thought only the first 2 seasons were great will continue in disappointment. It has none of what made the first 2 great, everything that made the last 2 disappoint.

I have big problems with the finale on a number of levels. I am not going to recap the episode but address in point form. But overall I felt like I was getting the M Knight Shamalan effect all over again.

Soap Opera filler: This was the finale. I didn't care about the pointless melodramatic filler at this point. What importance is it that Lee almost slept with Starbuck while they were drunk and she was dating his brother, or that Roslin slept with a former student. I guess this some of the wonder that awaits in the new series.

Completely nonsensical behavior to service the plot: This is where BSG went from my favorite show in seasons one and two, to completely losing it on the New Caprica storyline and never recovered. More of that continues here, where the remnants of the human race take all their technology and fling it into the sun and start over as primitives. There is no sane reason for this. It is merely because the ending plot device requires it. They are on our earth, so we can't have the sticky wicket of all that advanced technology changing things, so into the sun it goes. Regardless of the fact that this is completely insane.

I also don't buy anyone with a shred of humanity (Galen/Adama), permanently isolating themselves alone away from other people. Remember there is no technology. They will never see they only friends and family they know again. They are condemming themslelves to solitary confinement.

I don't buy a massive chunk of Galactica crew volunteering to go a on suicide mission to rescue one half cylon little girl. A few days before they had a massive mutiny over the thought of just working with the cylons. Again the show ignores sane characterizations in service of the plot.

Cop out ending turns back on Science Fiction: The plot it turns out is a joke, it is what happens when lazy writers make it up as they go along. The ending isn't Science Fiction, it isn't even good Fantasy. It is Religious Fantasy. They don't so much as answer anything but instead wrap a bow on it and say "God did it". The ultimate cop out.

Head Six: Gods Agent.
    Head Baltar: Gods Agent.
    Starbuck: Gods Agent.
    Hera: Touched by God implanted with info.
    Visions given to everyone by God.
    Music in the Heads of Final 5: God did it.
    Cylon Colony nuked: Hand of god fires nukes.
    Everything: God did it.

Science fiction as written by the masters of the Genre is carefully plotted/constructed and logically coherent story lines with character behaving in believable fashion in their reaction to a novel situation. There is none of that here. We have inconsistent character, unplanned story, unbelievable reactions and cop out religious ending. This doesn't deserve to be called Science Fiction.
  • Epic conclusion of a sensational series.

SG1 episode 200 said: "Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about a human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." And this does, without a doubt, apply to the BSG series. And it all came together in these two last episodes. The series didn't take the easy road by just telling stories about a group of humans travelling through space, but tried to tie in questions we all face during our lifetime. The questions that define who we are, questions like "why are we here?", "what is our purpose?" and "how do I fit in the grand skeem of things?". Whether you like it or not the human condition has always been influenced by the notion or believe in a higher power, a designer, a God. What makes the BSG series epic is that it tried to tell a Science fiction story which includes the notion of a God. This has never happened before and, after BSG, it will happen again! Because they tied in a believe system, the stories BSG tells are more realistic and closer to our core, our feelings, our essence, then ever before. We do, and always will, need a "leap of faith" during our lifetimes. We need to believe in something; our religion, our nation, our relations; our purpose. Those are the things that form us as a species, and those are the themes of the stories told by BSG. I guess that those people who have rejected the notion of a higher power during there lifetime, will look a pone this conclusion of the BSG series as a disappointment because the scenario of a "God" does not fit into their realm of possibilities. Funny because the existence of spaceships and Cylons apparently does.

These last two episode do bring us full circle. The fraises: "All this has happened before, and all this will happen again" has been the ongoing theme throughout the series. Giving us two possibilities the series either takes place in the future or in the past. Naturally we would have initially believed the series would taken place in the future, but this last episode blows that out of the water by implying that BSG crew are our ancestors, bringing us full circle, and leaves us with the question "will this happen again?", or "has the circle been broken?". Everything is possible. The centurions' are still out there, the humanlike Cylons are still out there and they were betrayed by the final 5, especially Galen Tyrol (who stops the transfer of the resurrection data). Has the circle been broken? It's nice to know that these questions can and might be answered in a BSG spin off in the future. The new "Caprica" BSG series is supposed to be a prequel but if time is circular it doesn't make a difference. These thought make it a unique series. More specific about these last two episodes: what did happen. - The spaceship that gives the series it's name is destroyed (we don't see it though!). - We see that this time around the "opera house" is the BSG bridge.
    - We see Hara, as promised as THE ancestor "Eve" of a new world race.
    - We see the fantastic President Roselyn peacefully die after bringing her people to "earth".
    - We see Kara Thrace entering the music into the FTL bringing BSG to "earth".
    - We suddenly don't see Kara Thrace when Lee Adama turns around after asking "where are you going?"
    - We see a clash between the new (free) centurion and the classic 1978/1980 centurion (also bringing us full-circle).
    - We see Gaius Baltar (or Daniel #7?) making a unselfish choice and joining "his" Six which is out-of-character.
    - We see Eight Boomer coming full-circle with her choice "when it means something".
    - We see "the two destiny (of Cylons & Human) entwined in divine force" and "God isn't on any ONE side". - ..and much more. This must be one of the best conclusions of a series without closing to many doors while answering so many questions. We get so much close sure on so many topics while leaving us with enough questions to desire for more. It's Brilliant! It's always hard so say goodbye to something good, as it is for me for BSG, but the manor of it's departure is gratifying. Great job! I would like to add one more thing: The connections between the overall storyline of BSG and the Biblical story of the 13 tribes of Israel, who flee Egypt to wander the desert for 40 years following a prophecy to the promised land, is mind gobbling. As is the prophecy that the One would rise from the dead to lead us to the promised land. As is the notion of a reset-button on civilisations, in the Bible via a flood and a ship, in BSG via a war and a (number of) spaceSHIP(s). Even the pigeon is present in both stories (after Lee Adama meets Kara Thrace)! There is even a correlation with the 13 apostles (13th being Matthias) of Jesus. Overall My conclusion would is: great series, great conclusion, what a great experience the BSG series has been! Let's hope future initiatives can top this level of entertainment.
  • Best series ever. No series made the adult crying so far but the Galatcica.

Best story ever told - not only among sci-fi. Epic, full, completed - making you crying at the end. Nothing to loose, nothing to add. High class music is fulfilling the story. There will be NOTHING like this any more. Crew is outstanding - I will remember them as Galactica characters. The ending was accurate and at the right moment - other series are exploited till last frakking penny - this story ended at its very high point. Damn sad it's not available in Poland (officially). It's must to see for my son - as soon it will be on DVD in Poland - I'll acquire full story as soon as possible.
  • everything comes to a close - all is revealed - and the most deserving to die gets off the hook :-)

I love everything about this show...even the quirky tech they use and the strange clothe they wear. I am a fan of the original and i like the homage they paid to that as well. This was a great episode...but if there is one thing i disappointed about the ending...its that gaius baltar remained alive and well and gets to live out the rest of his days happily in love and with the woman literally of his dreams.....He did too much wrong to deserve this and its literally annoying the crap out of me he gets off the hook...i have been looking so forward to a decent and deserving death for him....

anywho.. :-) ...We will miss you BSG!!! ..(wonder what will replace it??!)
  • I felt this was the greatest ending in television history. Leaving the audience to be inspired to take care of humanity and its planet. The show is brilliant with All Along the Watchtower and the resting of the characters.

Two comments I pulled off of Bear McCreary's blog (www.BearMcCreary.com) that I feel put words with what I feel about the wrapping of the series:

1) The ending was the logical way for it to end. I wasn't surprised, and that's a good thing. Anything else would have been disappointing. And to say I wasn't surprised would not be to say that it wasn't awesome. It was, very moving, very touching.

And the music was just, well, during one of the final scenes, as I was trying unsuccessfully to hold back tears, I said "Bear outdid himself here."

2) It was transcendent. I'm tempted to throw around words like "brave" or "courageous," but I think that's kind of hyperbolic. Maybe "ballsy" is the better description. Over the years the writers painted themselves into a few corners here and there, and rather than sweating it, they just decided to hop off the edge of the page and keep writing.

The best thing I can say is that the various endings felt inevitable. Now that I've seen how it all wrapped up, I can't really imagine it ever happening any other way.
  • There are many ways in which this could've ended, but Ronald D. Moore saw fit to end it like this, and it was satisfying.

After the Miniseries, 75 episodes (two of which were Razor), 3 webseries, and a lot of speculation, the amazing series known as Battlestar Galactica ends with a bang.

We were treated to some of the greatest action scenes we could ever see. The space battle itself was incredible, visually speaking. They knew that this was the end, and they made sure we wouldn't forget it. I could not believe that Adama would be so brazen as to ram his ship into the Colony, but it was probably the biggest "holy s**t" moment of the finale. Acutally, the discovery of 'our' Earth would be in first place. I'm sure that the fanboys were especially giddy at seeing the old-school Centurions fighting with the latest models. In terms of unanswered questions, Gaius Baltar and Caprica-Six finally figured out what their virtual beings are: angels of God. One of my favorite moments (one which I thought would happen) was Baltar and Caprica realizing that the other could see these beings. They also realized their ultimate purpose: to protect Hera, by extension fulfilling the Opera House vision and ensuring the future of the human race. Speaking of Baltar, he has truly grown since the Miniseries, going from ego-driven narcissist to a man willing to selflessly risk his life. It got to me when I saw him crying when he talked about farming. At one point he admitted that he was ashamed of his heritage, but now, after everything that's transpired, Baltar proved something to us. It was a given that Laura Roslin was going to bite it in the finale, but that didn't make it any easier to swallow. William Adama has been through so much, but I don't think anything could've prepared him for losing the woman he loved. I was confused at first when he chose to say goodbye to his son Lee Adama and the one he loves as a daughter, Kara Thrace. Perhaps he simply had enough. A part of me doesn't blame him.

Even though I was pissed at her for her part in the mutiny, seeing Racetrack dead was hard to bear. I didn't have any illusions about Boomer living through the finale, but another big moment came when Tory's biggest sin came to light. I just knew that Galen Tyrol would fly into a rage after learning the truth. It was perhaps this revelation that caused him to want to live in isolation from that point on.

There are many possibilities for the return of Kara Thrace. Was she really was an angel who came back from the dead to lead humanity to salvation? Maybe, but in any event I do think that they should've clarified further on her true nature. The First Hybrid, as well as the Baseship Hybrid and Anders all said she would lead them all to their end. The statement was most likely symbolic. The human race and the remaining Cylons settling on Earth could be seen as an end, the end of their journey, or the end of both of them as they are. Yet, why did the First Hybrid warn Kendra Shaw that "they must not follow her?" I'm hoping The Plan will answer these questions.

I was surprised that Lee Adama suggested abandoning their technology and their ships in favor of starting over from stratch. From my perspective it seems very impractical, but if you put yourself inside that universe, it might seem logical. The remnants of the Twelve Colonies have been through hell and back, and after all they've been through, a clean slate wouldn't seem so bad to them. Besides, I doubt the Centurions will return and destroy them. There's no reason to hold a grudge anymore, and perhaps the cycle has been broken.

The flashback scenes made perfect sense. We needed to see these characters as how they were, so we could understand how they got here, and so we could see what makes them who they are.

Overall, the finale was not perfect, but it was satisfying. There is still one more story to tell, and I hope more questions will be answered.

"So let us not talk falsely now
    The hour is getting late"
  • To all the critics!

There are a lot of people here that probably are still looking for a Star Trek type of ending...there will probably be a similiar endings in shows like SG1, terminator etc. A few points for all you critics: - The whole god issue in the ending. It's really hard for me to understand why scifi fans will accept ships that are jumping from place to place in space and by doing so can travel a milion light years in 4 years more or less, cyborgs that look like humans and a race of cyborgs that is reballing against its masters and not the god idea...I mean even if just half (or even 10%)of this people belive in god...isn't it easier to belive in devine intervantion in a sci fi show, then all of the above mentioned ideas? or maybe you are looking for a complete sci-fi show with things that can never exist (star trek? anybody...and I'm a star trek fan BTW). The whole BSG idea was that it was very similiar to our world which is whay a lot of the things they used looked like our own equipment.That was what;s so special about it and that's why any Star Trek or Babylon 5 type of ending would have been nothing less then a disappointment to the fans. - Kara- If you remember in Star trek, ensign Wessly Crusher became a Q like being...is that more logical then god...?

The point is, if you are looking for a regular Sci-Fi, space battles type of show then this is not for you. SG 1 has plenty of that.
    BSG had a lot of action but it was always about each person's journy and that's the whole point! The whole show is no less then a masterpieace and it gives sci fi fans a lot more to excpect then the ususall space battles, red alert tyoe of shows. In short, if you didn't like BSG you probably didn't get it!
  • Grown men shouldn't make other grown men weep.

Grown men shouldn't make other grown men weep. And boy did I blubber.

There aren't many words in existence to describe my feelings at the moment, so I will try to sum it up fast.

That this is the best sci-fi show ever made has never been in question after the first episode. But I put to you that this is one of the very best dramas ever played. Period. 0Such a mature and nuanced finale is truly fitting tribute to this behemoth. I know that I will be mulling over the subtleties for a long time to come.

The truce was a truly wondrous religio-political masterpiece. And how base human reactions tore it up again underlined how fragile peace really is. And I say this on behalf of all fans: good to see Tori finally get what was long overdue.

My heart crushed with every shuddering groan as Galactica broke her back. Yet she held firm as those in her held on for their dear lives. And Anders' final act was a beautiful touch.

But let's stop faffing around. The dagger that was driven into my broken heart and turned was the scene with Adama, Roslin and the ring. Grown men should not be made to weep thus.

The very last scene did send shivers down my spine, and asked some rather pertinent questions. It really is time to find our souls once again. Technology can never be a substitute.

It does shatter me to finally say goodbye to such a dear friend, and this show has given me so much at a time when TV dared not treat us like adults who wanted substance before style (not that either was ever in doubt here). It had to end one day, and I am mighty pleased to see it given the send off it deserved.

You will be sorely missed.
  • The Series finale

This review is based on the series finale of Battle Star Galactica. I believe not only "Daybreak" is a classic but the best series finale on television. The story of Man and some Cylons battle the evil Cyclons is a great plot twist. Also, near the end, the writer gives clues to how the BattleStar Galactia world would be if it went back in time, mankind will be forced to repeat the same mistakes to create robots. "What happened once will happen again." Many BattleStar episodes are story based and have little to no action but this one action. The camera angles were good especially when the characters landed on Earth.
  • What a joke.

So in the end Hera was no more significant then any other main character, There was no dieing leader, Starbuck was not the harbinger of death, in fact there was not much of anything. Except god. "God did it" is the explanation, stretched from three little words do a near two hours of absurdity, that we are supposed to swallow. In the end none of the characters actions mattered because "God did it".

Just to add to the absurdity, our faveourit band of humans on the run decide to abandon all technology and get busy with the natives in order to break the cycle that inevitably leads tp the development of technology and then AI. Right. This is grades school storytelling.
  • So in the end, nothing matter before and will not matter again.

I am pretty much just covering what everyone else seems to have written. The people writing reviews here seems to have been split into 2 camps, those that love the religious/political "human thinking" stuff and those that are more logical/fact "machine thinking" based stories who look for all these stories to make sense.

Can't we all just agree and get a long? The future of mankind may rely on that. Of course, it wont matter in the end.

The ending was frankly no better than Someone coming out of a coma or a dream. I was half expecting Roslyn to wake up from a cancer drug induced dream in a hospital in Caprica and nothing had really happened only to see the first nukes land, or something equally as silly.

It just doesn't make any sense. Despite all the contrived "evidence" put before them of the last remaining humans decide to go native, after years on the run? Seriously? They think that will break the cycle? Even though everything they have done, no matter what, led them to exactly where they needed to be and to do exactly what they needed to do.

Have they not learnt their lesson? Whatever they do it will happen again, so frak it, why not have a good time whilst your doing it? Keep the tech and make your lives A LOT easier and more enjoyable.

If anything it would make more sense if they had kept the tech as there would be some recorded history of what happened with the Cylons and the mistakes made in the past/lessons learned from which the human/human Cylons of the future could learn from. If you do not study history, you are doomed to repeat it. The humans final act of ditching their tech pretty much resigns humanity to repeats their mistakes, rather obviously.

What was with that last 2 minute sequence too? Is the writer's opinion of us so low that they have to spell it out? Also, isn't that "Lucy" skeleton really only a few feet tall? Are the offspring of Cylons and Humans dwarves? And why was 6 suddenly speaking in a completely different accent?

Yes, I am in the group that feels slightly cheated.

So many silly things happened. Why did Anders need to turn off the Cylon colony's gun batteries? They weren't doing anything anyway. The colony is really quite small too, a kind of anti TARDIS where it looks much bigger on the outside than it is on the inside.

What was the Opera house stuff all about too? Pointless. Yes yes, it showed that right from the first vision by Boomer (I think it was) of the Opera house the pieces were all in place and set in motion to lead exactly where a rather odd God with pretty weird motivations wanted humanity and Cylons to go.

This is always the problem I have with these God stories. What is the point? Is all of this for God's entertainment? Oh the meaning of life and futility of man's existence, I know, I know.

It started off being entertaining for me too, but by the time they reached New Caprica and the blatant Iraq occupation metaphors it started to lose it's appeal and after they found the destroyed "Earth" it had just got out of hand.

Since then, the last however many episodes of the final half season could have been covered in about half the number episodes, if not less. I know that most shows have filler but not such blatant filer as we saw in the final episodes of Battlestar and they usually have the decency to reduce or eliminate the filler from the final crucial episodes. For some reason Battlestar's writers decided to increase the filler? Why??? Non of it mattered one jot, the dancing girls, the puking Adama, the cradle snatching Roslyn, the "they almost did it :-o" Lee and Starbuck "story" all made absolutely no difference to anything what so ever.

Did they not learn from Lost? One of the reason why Battlestar was so good was that it lacked the filler and nonsense that Lost was full of. The viewing figures for Lost dipped and writers learned their lesson, vowing to keep the filler to a minimum and keep the story going. For some reason the Battlestar writers decided to do the exact opposite?

So what did we learn? Life as a human or Cylon in the Battlestar world is pointless, which pretty much sums up my feelings as a Battlestar viewer.

The one good point was that there was finally a bit of action again. I felt an almost giddy high as the attack on the colony started but in the end it was over rather quickly, like when you smoke a cigarette again after giving them up for a few months. Short, heady but of no real benefit. It just reminds you of better times before fading away as quickly as it came.

The Angel's nonsense has been done to death in other reviews/comments too, but my 2p, the Starbuck unknowing real living and breathing angel bit was just beyond stupid.

All I can say is that it the ending wasn't quite as bad as I feared, but that isn't saying much. At least the writers had the sense to end it. I won't be looking out for any spin offs from this show, that's for sure.
  • I cried and cried and cried

It was a beautiful finale. It was that kind of a finale that made me happy and sad at the same time. There were many parts that made me bawl like a baby and other parts that made me smile.

I was saddened to see the bucket go away, I suppose that would have been the best way to avoid any contamination of the people on earth (Non-colonials and their offspring).

Seeing Laura die absolutely killed me, and then seeing Bill get upset and him putting his wedding band on her really pushed me over the edge. I knew that Laura would die. We all knew it because it was inevitable but when she did the pain hit me like a freight train. It was beautiful that she died with Bill right next to her while looking at Africa from the air, one couldn't ask for a more beautiful way to pass away but it seriously killed me. My heart was shattered into little pieces. Bill now building a cabin in memory of Laura ( their dream on New Caprica) and to live out the remainder of his life in peace until the day comes that he can be with Laura again was bittersweet and perfect ending for their story. I just cried and cried.

"The view up here is heavenly...just like you were"

The Battle between Galactica and the colony was absolutely stellar, the CGI was up there. It was funny seeing the Centurions (old and new) duke it out like it was a giant version of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. I was really happy about that I was surprised to see Adama order Galactica to be rammed into the colony, and I am really surprised with all her structural damage that she didn't just blow apart when that happened.

The whole mystery surrounding the opera has been finally solved and in a most beautiful way. I was really blown away by that and shouted out loud: HOLY FRAK! Perfect.

One sentence regarding Tory: She got what she deserved.

Same thing goes for Boomer. It was in a way tragic but she had made her bed and now had to sleep in it. To see Athena kill Boomer was weird but fitting. In the beginning I wondered what she meant when she said to Athena, Helo, Kara and the rest "Tell the old man I owed him one" and then it made all perfectly sense (in a sad way) when we got this flashback in which Boomer says to Bill "I owe you one and I will pay you back when it means the most."

Kara, an angel. Must be the horns that keep the halo straight ;-) then again everything suddenly made perfect sense with that revelation. The pianist who helped Starbuck remember how to play the "All Along the Watchtower" song in "Someone to Watch Over Me" DISAPPEARS as soon as the Final Five approach the piano. The Final Five don't seem to see the pianist guy as they ask Starbuck how she knows the song, which implies that Starbuck was the only one who could see/hear him. Is this "God" appearing to the angel Kara to teach her the secret way to the second Earth? The Hybrid once told Kara: "You are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end." This was realized. When Kara first returns as an angel, her Raptor leads them to the first nuked Earth--hence, she is the "harbinger" of the potential death and destruction that inevitably ensues if humans and cylons persist along the vicious cycle of violence. This is essentially a warning from God, showing Galactica inhabitants the potential result of continuing the cycle. Later, Kara "[leads] them all to their end" in the sense that she leads humans and cylons to the end of their journey--new Earth.

What confused me was Head 6 and Head Baltar. I figured out head 6 and head Baltar were angels/demons early on in the series. But when Head Baltar said "You know he doesn't like being called that". Makes me wonder, who the higher power was.... Was Head 6 an angel and Head Baltar a demon? Was this a Faustian bet between the devil and G*d. That is one question I would like an answer for.

Small bits and pieces I loved:
    Romo being the new president (poetic justice indeed)
    Lee "I want to EXPLORE" Lee travelling around the world and being an adventurer
    The fact that Helo didn't die and to see Helo, Athena and Hera happily starting their life together on Earth
    Gaius and Six being together and Gaius becoming a farmer =)

On last word also in regards of the music. Bear outdid himself. We got a final movement of his little BSG symphony that combined "Passacaglia" and "Allegro" (not sure about "Violence and Variations" but I am sure it was also there). The love theme of Bill and Laura made a final return in a most beautiful way and the music during the fight was glorious and furious in equal measures. I am so looking forward to the final soundtrack.

The message I got during the last 15 minutes of the show was.

1. Keep Klenex close by..
    2. Cherish the ones you love
    3. Don't take life for granted
    4. Keep technology on a tight leash
    5. Human life is the most precious of all gifts.
    And
    6. Family is the most important thing next to life.

Oh also two additional things I learned from the series.

RDM is one hell of a producer, director and writer and Frak is part of my vocabulary
  • felt rushed and incomplete, months of watching the show and to have it end like this was a real let down. Makes me never wanna watch another episode of this show again. A real waste of time.

This episode just felt like it was rushed, like they knew the end was coming and they had to wrap up years of story in a two hour time slot. I almost felt like the ending went over my head. I didn't get the starbuck story line at all. At one point during the show's run she was my favorite person on the show but by the end I really didn't care one way or the other about her. I really felt that this episode ruined the whole show, all that watching and investing myself in the people of this show and it was all for nothing. A real slap in the face.
< 1 2 3