Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (3)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• One of the greatest TV series in history bows out. While it most certainly wasn't close to the Seinfled disaster, it wasn't quite the fittting sendoff this wonderful show deserved.

And so the series that gave us 3 seasons of the greatest television ever aired, sputters, shudders, kicks, spits and finally impotently glides to a stop, like a old car finally running out of gas.

The performers closed out with their usual brilliance above and beyond, ensuring that we will share in their separation anxiety from these amazing multi-layered characters. However, one can't escape the feeling that this wonderful series closed out with barely a whimper.

Perhaps it's simply impossible to resolve all the great mysteries of existentialism in a fashion that satisfies all. Perhaps it's the tumultuous turmoil a creative team deals with as it comes thundering down the home stretch, the finish line drawing inexorably closer as if to throttle creativity by constantly screaming, "Hurry Up - you're almost done!!!"

Whatever the reason, this almost euthanistic episode gratefully brings down the final curtain. Not counting the new prequel, various spinoff TV movies and similarly titled if unrelated feature films, of course.

And while we most certainly do "KNOW THE TRUTH" (as SciFi has been virtually shrieking at us for weeks) we can't help but saying, "All that for THIS?"

Bye-bye BSG - you will be missed. It's been a blast...