Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (3)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Just awful, awful writing...

2.5
    Ever since the start of Season 4 I had growing doubts about the direction of the show. BSG had always had its flaws here and there, but with this season the exception was becoming the rule. Numerous 'cop-outs' with plot and tiresome character developments, with the omnipotent presence becoming more and more apparent with every episode.

Of course a lot of the story was becoming far fetched in Season 3, the supernova being a prime example, but in my mind they could get away with it because when all was said and done I still cared about well rounded characters in a story that, well, made sense.

And so, when it came to the series finale, admittedly I wasn't expecting much by that point. However it still managed shock me with its grossly horrific use of deus ex machina to explain away four seasons worth of story in a single conclusion:

None of it mattered. God did it all.

I thought the rescue sequence was just plain stupid; at least in the Exodus episodes they had a strategic plan... Now what do they do? Jump the ship into the direct line of fire, assuming there won't be more than a couple of dozen cylons on-board or an entire fleet hanging about, assuming Anders can mystically work his magic and shut down all the other hybrids (wow, one bullet can certainly do a lot), and wait guys, how are we gonna get in? Hell, lets crash our already falling apart ship head first into the damn thing.

The conclusion of the opera house vision was incredibly disappointing; almost seemed like it had been made up on the spot, since it was ultimately pointless. Just another excuse for Gaius to ramble on about a higher being orchestrating everything for this one moment blah blah blah...

I could go on and on, but I think its starting to get a bit personal. All I'll say is, I loved the show, I loved the characters. By the end, it came to a point where, for example, when Roslin died all I could think was, "About bloody time!"

Using God, angels, a divine plan, etc. was an insult to a story that had so much potential. It turned its characters into empty plot devices and made for a tiresome and unintelligent ending.