Battlestar Galactica

Daybreak, Part 2 (3)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Syfy

• Battlestar Galactica comes to a close after four seasons of frakkin intensity I have never seen in another show.

This is my first and only BSG review as I recently finished watching the entire series for the first time. I have to say that, while I may not have been along for the ride as a lot of other fans were, I have come to know and admire these characters and this has become one of my all-time favorite shows. I just wish I had discovered it sooner. As with other reviewers, I am going to review the entire three-part finale in one go, so bear with me.
    While the first part of the finale lacked some firepower, it was necessary to establish exactly what was going to happen in the remaining parts. Boomer revealed her true colors once and for all and betrayed everyone by kidnapping Hera and taking her to the Cylon Colony, a massive ship which took my breath away. The Cylons and humans choose their sides and prepare for the battle. While this may not seem like much, it got my heart pumping and ready to go in to the final episode. I was not disappointed.
    The final battle with the Cylons was epic and extreme. I watched in shock as the Galactica took the beating of its life while Cylon Raiders streamed everywhere while the troops entered the Colony to save Hera. While I expected Boomer to finally get what was coming to her (she was getting very annoying at this point), I didn't expect her to go out by Athena's hand. I thought she would die while helping the troops escape, but there was some measure of poetic justice in Athena killing Boomer that I can respect. I have to say that I also expected a LOT more bloodshed and at least several main characters to die. This was, after all, a very dangerous mission, as Admiral Adama put it, and the liklihood of every one of the main characters making it out of there alive was highly improbable, but in the end I'm glad everyone made it out alive. I was a little sad that Racetrack and Skulls died, but they unintentionally saved everyone by going in with their nukes ready. The opera house scene was very well done and I had almost forgotten that no one knew that Cally was killed by Tory. She definitely got what was coming to her when Tyrol snapped her neck. The deaths of the remaining bad Cylons was also awesome, especially with the cowardice of Cavill revealed as he killed himself rather than be killed by the crew of Galactica.
    The third part (it might not be the technical third part, I know) began with Starbuck putting the coordinates for the real Earth. I was surprised to discover that this was NOT the Earth that they had previously discovered, but was instead an untouched planet which would be the final resting place of the remnants of the human race. While it is a little hard to believe that all 37,000 of them would give up their advances in technology without so much as a fuss, I can accept that because look at where technology had gotten them. They might as well start over.
    The resolutions of the characters we had come to know were very bittersweet, as is the case in most shows' finales. I was most moved by the death of Roslin and I admit that I cried in every scene she was in on Earth until she died. I have never been so moved by a character before but her strength and determination touched me and I hated the fact that she had to die, but how they did it was beautiful and very sad at the same time. Gaius and Caprica 6 finally got together and their respective angels left them to their own devices, which was a nice touch because they got back together in the end, despite everything that had happened between then and the Fall. The one ending that I wasn't completely satisfied with, however, was Starbuck and Lee's. I, along with many other people I'm sure, fully expected them to get together in the end, as the show had been suggesting for some time. But Starbuck vanished without a trace, leaving Lee to explore the world and do what he wanted without so much as a full explanation. Was Starbuck an angel? I guess we will never fully understand what she was.
    All in all, my thoughts and feelings about the finale are summed up in my tears shed over Roslin's death. Though I am a relatively new BSG fan, the show has moved and shocked me in ways that I have rarely felt before. Battlestar Galactica set a new bar for television and I know that this show will be sorely missed. So say we all.