Battlestar Galactica

Epiphanies

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 20, 2006 on Syfy

• Epiphanies

Epiphanies was another perfectly entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of character and plot development along with some action, drama and intrigue. The story was well written and it was great that Sharon's fetus blood could save the President. I also liked how There was a lot of different scenarios going on in this episode and the various characters had their own moments of growth. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • In this episode, President Roslin(Mary McDonnell) finds herself on her deathbed and having flashbacks to her life on Caprica. Baltar(James Callis) eventually discovers a cure for her cancer in the Cylon/Human hybrid. They give it to her and she is cured.

This episode was, even thought it was somewhat hard to watch, another great episode in the series. I have watched the series from the beginning and this episode was sort of a tearjerker for me. You see Roslin on her deathbed, having all sorts flashbacks to her time on Caprica and I thought that that was interesting that they installed that into the episode because it just gives you a different impression of her. I goes along well with the fact that she had been having the visions so I didn't really dought that they would bring something like this to the show and to her character. Mary McDonnell is an excellent actress along with all of the others.
  • Cool episode.

President Roslin nears death, we are shown flashbacks from her past before she was sworn in as president of the colonies. It's a very interesting look into the past, not a boring one, it's actually helping us know more about Roslin in ways that aren't dull. Dramatic scenes are good when shown in a sci fi show. This one is right on the money, the writers did a good job with the story, it was still very entertaining. Baltar might have done something bad, but we don't know much yet, the number six cylon sleeper agent from the pegasus resurfaces. this is another trouble for the fleet.
  • A sign of HUGE things to come

As this series progressed, we were treated to that which no other SF show has done before on this scale. It found ways to question the human race in all the worst aspects one can think of - greed, hostility, mistrust.
    It has been obvious throughout that the cylon race is indeed to one which is not only the more evolved, stronger, more intelligent, but more cohesive, willing to learn, adapt, open new ground.
    This episode in my opinion monumentally raises the bar for possibilities of human and cylon existence. Of course this carries with itself a lot of controversy, but just to see it makes my hairs stand.
    It is the bonding of the human and the super-human (the "machine" parallel wears ever more thin when we look at the human-like cylons), or, if you wish, the coming of the - well, take your pick, the saviour or the anti-christ.
    In any case, dawning of a new age indeed, one which could, in an evolutionary sense, mean the end of both humans and cylons.
    It is the most excting, thrilling, engaging hour of television and this episode is the perfect reason why.
  • Great episode, but ... (spoilers) P.S. The flash previews played through the drum solo at the begining are back, which is cool.

Not exactly the best writing for this show. The prez is supposed to die before reaching earth if the legends are supposed to be true, and so far they seem to be trying to stay true to that. It had seemed that she would die from the cancer, and while she is far from cured and they are not on earth either yet… don’t know where I’m heading with that. The professor rules btw, the best 'character' in the show, don't get me wrong the entire cast is great, but the professor real adds a personal feel to the show that it badly needs. When she does eventually die, don’t know if the show is keeping her for the story or for the contracts? Hope it’s for the story, and not anything else, she’s a great part of the cast, but don’t ruin the entire show and story for it. Sometimes the show hints at being too soap-opera, but it never really reaches it, nicely written in that aspect. Looking forward for more.
  • Sub-par writing doesn't detract from the most powerful scenes thus far.

The writing on this one admittedly felt a bit slapped together. They painted themselves into a corner with Roslin's cancer and needed a cure fast. It seems the writers whipped one up in a hurry.

However, sub-par writing doesn't detract from the real meat of this episode. The two scenes involving Sharon's refusal to let her baby be killed are the most moving and the most powerful scenes the show has exhibited thus far. The writers have hinted time and time again that the Cylons are more than just machines, particularly after the events involving Sharon in Resurrection Ship Part 1, and Grace Park's performance brilliantly portrays just how human the Cylons are.

These powerfully emotive scenes are exactly why I watch this show and I can't wait to see more examples of the human condition in the Cylon(s).
  • Roslin is saved, but at what cost?

This episode was more dramatic than action. Very little fighting which is a nice change of pace. I feel there needs to be a balance between fighting the cylons and other things that might be going on in the fleet. Here we have President Roslin about to die and she gives Adama one last order. Kill the unborn cylon baby(She has given the order to kill twice now). While this doesnt set well with a few namely Helo, Sharon and Baltar, Adama starts the process. Baltar comes to the rescue when he discovers that the baby's blood is unique and kills cancer cells. But even with the risk, the doctors give Roslin the blood which destroys the cancer in her body. However, the letter Billy gives Baltar at the request of Roslin to be read upon her death, forces Baltar(Who reads the letter anyway) to do somehting drastic. What will Gina do with it has yet to be determined.
  • The gut-wrenching episode that we've been waiting two years for.

Ever since the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries in 2003, we've all wondered: When is Roslin's cancer finally going to bring her down. Well, it happened. Sort of.

This episode focuses on President Roslin's final days. Mary Mcdonnell's powerful acting makes you feel as if you're actually watching your own beloved leader meet her demise. It's painful, it's sad, and it's captivating.

Elsewhere, troubled Vice-President Gaius Baltar colludes with a far more dangerous version of Number 6 while working out both the data on Boomer's soon-to-be-aborted baby and his own feelings about his Cylonic situation. Eventually, he decides that instead of letting Roslin Die and assuming the presidency himself, he saves her with a drop of blood from Sharon's fetus. That was a little bit too "Deus ex Machina" for me, but I'll take it.

In the end, Roslin sits up, cancer free, ready to talk to the leader of a colonial terrorist cell (Greenpeace, anyone?) intent on forcing the military to SURRENDER to the Cylons. It's only been 188 days or so since the last time someone tried that and clearly they've already forgotten what happened that time.

Oh, and Baltar is convinced by Number Six (The first one, or #6#1 for those of you who appreciate complicated character nicknames) that saving Roslin was a mistake. So he presents a teeny tiny itsy bitsy NUCLEAR BOMB to #6#2 and her terrorist friends. No more mister nice Baltar, indeed.

All in all, this was an excellent ep, further cementing BSG's status as the best show on television. No one can compete with that.
  • A different side of story

It really looks the legacy of previous episode is that the cylon fleet backs up for a while and they have to deal with their inner crises - and it is mostly the cylon escaped from Pegasus who has been creating her own resistance and she has no plans to give up, under no circumstances. On the other main storyline is Roslin, whose death is getting near and she is having those flashbacks and in one of them, she remembers something very important and that really looks even more that next coming episodes might be the flight between Roslin and Baltar.

And Sharon and her unborn child storyline was expected too. They were going along with it too long and now it was a real danger. i most say the moment on the corridor - where Halo is stopping them.. it was good one.
  • Not much action but great drama anyways

After the last three episodes with Admiral Kain and Batllestar Pegasus adventures, I have to admit this one is a bit of a downer. The level of intensity is not up there but that not saying its not the same level of standard the show produces but just not as thrilling and action packed as the previous three. The show’s writers demonstrate how some people are willing to give up in face of dire adversity. Once again the show hit a morale dilemma about using fetus tissue to cure cancer. When does it become right or wrong. I really like how this show tackles the hard questions.
  • No combat action in this episde but some other surpirses happend.

We didn’t get much action, but the story has taken one other unexpected turn. It seems like the story is no longer mankind vs. cylons, its army vs. peace movement. I don’t know if that is such a good idea, but it’s certainly an interesting aspect to show. We never knew how the civilians live and think. But honestly I was a bit surprised this peace movement is so big, when you think that all seven colonies of mankind were destroyed and only a few survivors exist. So why do they think, there will be peace, when the cylons hunt everything down?
    I hope for the show, that they write this conflict with care, because it’s difficult to be not pathetic when it comes to such a question. Just think about it, when there’s a new war in our world.
    I think it’s nice that the president is ok again, but will it change her? And now she might know the truth about Gaius. But he is already planning to stab her in the back. I think it will be nice to see how this will go on.
    There are some things I quite don’t understand. For example this unborn child: It has a human father and a cylon mother (with a completely different DNA otherwise she would have the same blood as her child). So how it’s possible a) that she’s pregnant and b) why has the child such a special Blood (DNA)? I hope we’ll get some answers about that.

To end this review: This episode was a bit special, because we haven’t seen any combat, but it took some nice and surprisingly turns. I liked it.
  • Some fascinating insights into Dr. Baltar

Finding himself just a hair\'s breadth away from the presidency, Baltar starts to show the strain. His newfound interest in politics forces him to decline Roslin\'s offer to resign, and yet fails to prevent him from saving her life. And finally, a painfully critical letter prompts him to take a fairly drastic action. He seems to have regressed from the strength he showed after killing Crashdown, and returned to the selfishness that Number 6, newly returned to his life, always brings out of him. This duplicity in his character prevents him from being relegated to the sci-fi standard nerdy scientist, but I sure was starting to like the confident side of the good doctor. And we get a tantalizing hint of another threat to Baltar\'s dirty little secret. If he had known what images were flashing through Roslin\'s dying mind, I doubt he would have been much inclined to save her life.
  • A lot of intense scenes. I truly wasn’t sure what was going to happen next. It’s nice to see Baltar back in the foreground. He’s been in the background the past 3 or 4 episodes. Now we’re back to scheming, lying, duplicitous, crazy, Gaius.

January 20, 2006
    Epihpanies

1. It’s nice to see Gaius back to his BS’ing. He’s so good at that!

2. Roslin is Gangsta now! She’s trying to kill any and everybody.

3. LOL! He doesn’t even know if he’s talking to Six or Gina.

4. Helo looks like he’s ‘bout to unload on Adama!

5. Cylon sympathizers? Interesting.

6. Sharon…Ooooh, that’s gotta hurt.

7. Dude…seeing bodies blown into space NEVER gets old!

8. Woah. Tricia Helfler is looking even better with the girl next door look.

9. And she’s a leader of the Cylon Sympathizer group.

10. Woah Part II. Roslin was doing the President?

11. President Roslin. Prognosis: Negative (c) Seinfeld

12. Ironic. The baby she was going to kill, ends up saving her life.

13. Woah Part III. I didn’t know a flashback could have an “Oh S---!” moment. Looks like Gaius is going to have some trouble with the President.

14. Baltar just found a cure for cancer! That *might* makeup for causing the destruction of the human race.

15. “And if you renege I’ll have the Admiral hunt your friends down and show no mercy.” GANGSTA!

16. Hey! How can the figment of a man’s imagination read a letter?

17. I never wanted to know what was in a briefcase so much since Pulp Fiction.

18. Okay, I’m confused. What is that? Nuclear device? Baltar’s Cylon Detection system. Does anyone know?

Grade: B+ A lot of intense scenes and I truly wasn’t sure what was going to happen next. It’s nice to see Baltar back in the foreground. He’s been in the background the past 3 or 4 episodes. Now we’re back to scheming, lying, duplicitous, crazy, Gaius. I like that Gaius! Next week? BILL DUKE! “Apollo. You know you done f-cked up right?”
  • Past, present and future presidents ...

This review contains spoilers.

In todays episode we were faced with two very sudden and drastic turns of events. It is a daring episode - and it puts most of it's time into developing the past, present and future presidents roles and characters with remarkable speed.

Some people like I may feel like this is a very very awkard episode as many thoughts and would-be conclusions we've had about these characters will be thrown overboard.

A characters death or a main characters death is something special in most every series on TV. Most of them have always been debated to no end.

This time it is different. I actually feel like it was really supposed to happen and everybody was well prepared. But then with the blink of an eye, things change. And then suddenly, a lot of the logic that we have come to understand in terms of overall plot may feel a bit shaken. "A dying leader ... " - no more?

This twist to surprise the audience is a remarkable dare but somehow the way it was pulled off left something to be desired. Some of the pieces that made up todays episode felt like they were just that: pieces. Usually Battlestar Galactica episodes do feel like a 'whole' to me instead - with every tidbit firmly attached to all the others.

The acting was wonderful as we know it. It was great to see our favourite doctor at work and learn interesting bits about both the pasttime president as well as the present president and maybe the future president as well.
  • After Resurrection Ship, I thought that this episode wouldn't be very exciting because RDM would be setting the scene for the rest of the second half. He did but wrote a riveting episode neverthless.

In the first season, I was nervous about Roslin's future. With advanced inoperable cancer, I thought that Ron had written himself into a corner and dreaded the day that Roslin would draw her last breath. I could not conceive, short of deus-ex-machina, that she would be saved.

I should have trusted RDM. I should have known that he would have a way to keep Roslin alive and make it seem entirely plausable. Plus, it had the added bonus of staying, perhaps indefinitely, the abortion of Karl and Sharon's baby.

The revelation of a peace movement within the fleet was a surprise, although it shouldn't have. Even in our own war on terror, there are those within the United States who feel that the 9/11 attacks were justified, that the West did something to provoke the attacks. RDM has done an excellent job of picking up this bit of human nature and incorporating it into this explosive drama.

Some are certain to object to my giving this episode only an '8' and certainly compared to other shows, it does rate higher. But when compared to the episodes that have gone before, despite the innovative plot twists, this is set up for what will follow. And I can hardly wait!
  • Enjoyably Labrynthine, but lacking something.

Please, don't get me wrong by my heading of this review (average) or the fact that I gave it a 7.5 . I enjoyed this episode. I've watched it twice since Friday and I plan on watching it again today (Monday.)

I am not the kind of person that craves the space battles, in fact I'm quite the opposite on a normal day this is the kind of episode I dream off. Plot Plot Character Character Plot. Unfortunately, I felt that something was missing. I wish I could put my finger on it.

The Baltar/Six/Gina triangle intrigues me greatly. Baltar's gift sent shudders down my spine and I can't wait to see what she uses that for.

I like how they "saved" Roslin. I felt it was a wonderfully dramatic way to do it. That doesn't mean I didn't think it was hokey too. I've just got to figure out how to reconcile those two feelings. What makes it great is she ordered it killed and that is what saves her. The irony drips (even though it was a leetle bit predictable. I give them points for style.)

The flashbacks with President Adar and the other guy are what drive me a little insane as far as this episode goes. Roslin is having these flashbacks that directly connect with a plotline she knows very little about. Being under sedation in the medical bay, she's out of the loop on the whole sabotage and peace movement thing for the most part. Why is she having flashbacks that are going to affect that? That's what felt weird to me. It felt wrong.

I've never wanted to smack Baltar harder than when he interupted the stand-off between Helo and Adama. I'm interested in where that relationship is headed.

Someone said to me that this was a filler episode. I say BSG doesn't have filler episodes. Every single one moves the plotlines along. Let's call this a breather episode. We do get a chance to breath in between major events.

I guess, now that I think about it...there was one other thing that bothered me about this episode, the underuse/non-use of the Pegasus. It was mentioned when they talked about grounding the flights but I don't beleive it came up again. I'm not advocating that the show become Battlestar Pegasus or even BattlestarS...but it's NOT just another ship in the fleet. The fall-out from the previous episodes hasn't just disappeared, something is surely going on...or has it already happened? Baltar says it's been weeks since he'd seen Six, Gina is already set up and doing well. What happened to that time? Nothing interesting? There was a time jump of some sort in the plotting of the story....So, I don't know, maybe by now Pegasus is just another ship in the fleet and we don't get to see things settle between the crews into a working relationship. I think we missed something or maybe these episodes are being shown out of order (Not normal for BSG.)

Let me make this completely clear, Average is what I went with as a title, but Average on BSG is a hell of a lot better than average for any other show on television.

Next week's episode? Sign me up. I am definitely along for this journey.

Give me BSG or give me a book!
  • Overall, this is a good episode centered in Roslin, but compared of the last 3 episodes, seems that this episode lacks in something, like interesting conflicts.

7.1
    ***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

After 3 episodes centered in a difficult situation where every character is involved somehow, the writers decided to make an episode centered in a character and the first choice was of course the President. After so many time, I wouldn´t believe that she could die, I knew from the beginning that Gaius could discover a way to save her and this is exactly what happens in this episode. As usual, Sharron is linked to the President, first the unnecessary "pregnancy terminated", then the solution arises near the end. Since Roslin couldn´t participate in coma state, she had dreams, where she remembers about one important thing, very convenient. Not only Sharron was linked in Roslin Story, Gaius too.

Presentation Phase - » (7/10) nice, just because the details of the flashback,
    Complication Phase - » (7/10) saving Roslin, seeing flashbacks and one filler,
    Climax Phase - » (7/10) light climax, the explanation was more interesting,
    Ending - » (7/10) light ending,

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (7/10) the necessary progress, curing a cancer,
    Time and Scene Management - » (8/10) some filler in the mix,
    Plot Details/Holes- » (10/10) fine,
    Storyline -» (7/10) too depressive and slow, but is good anyway,

Drama - » (14/20),

• Easier to kill.

It's odd, I would've thought Roslin's "moment of clarity," as they say, would have extended to not making horrible decisions, but I guess not. As ordering the termination of Sharon's pregnancy was one of her worst yet. And screw scientific research, tactically it's a bad call. Sharon has been a tremendous help to them. Who cares why she's doing it? As I said even I have trouble believing that she's 100% with them, but that seems to be the way it is. So why would you ever want to give her a reason to stop helping you? To in fact turn any "gen-u-ine compassion"(as Adama put it) that she may have into genuine hate. Those shots of her trying to fend off the guards as Adama looked on silently were tough to swallow. Of course that all got settled in what would of been a delicious piece of irony, as Sharon's baby was the key to saving Roslin's life, but enjoying it would mean that Roslin was still alive...bit of a Catch-22 there.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I would've given odds on Roslin surviving to annoy me for some time to come. Honestly though, it could of been one of my favorite characters and I still wouldn't have liked it. You don't build up a character's death for a season and a half and then not pull the trigger, you just don't do it. No matter what was going on behind the scenes or what you might have planned for the future, it always comes off as a cop out, at least to me it does. And it definitely put a bit of a blemish on the series.

The plot with the Demand Peace movement was interesting, and frightening. I'm glad it turned out to be Six leading them, as a human coming up with the idea of surrendering to the Cylons seems crazy. Baltar's scene with her where he's unable to control himself when given the chance to be with a physical Six was done well, and helped setup what was to come at the end. I think they missed an opportunity for a better episode title though, "Dr. Baltar or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." I couldn't believe he gave them the nuke and I just wish he was acting less out of a want to be with the corporeal Six and more out of anger over what was going to be done to "their" child.

I'm not really placing any blame from the decision to keep Roslin alive on this particular episode. And I enjoyed most of it anyway, just not anything particularly great about it.
  • Not everything comes together as well as possible, but it's still a strong effort

As I had anticipated, this episode was a bit of a letdown after the previous installment’s near-perfection. But it wasn’t a complete and total loss by any means. A lot of plot threads are addressed along the way, and the writers put the pieces for the final arc of the season on the board. In fact, one critical piece is dropped right into the center of the board in the final scene, paying off a dangling plot element from early in the first season.

In my review for a recent episode of “Stargate: SG-1” (ep. 9-12), I noted that the episode in question could have benefited from taking the format adopted by “Lost” to explore the past of a main character through flashbacks. This episode actually proves my point. This episode was very much in the vein of “Lost” in terms of Roslin’s flashbacks, and though the circumstances were very different, it allowed events from the past to intersect and influence the present and future.

It makes perfect sense that some segment of the human population would wonder if surrender to the Cylons could be a viable option. It’s likely that they don’t know or willfully forget that surrender was offered during the original attack. Whatever the case, if there were those who were still ready to return to the Colonies and fight back, despite the odds, the opposing point of view would naturally emerge. What’s interesting is how easily they were pushed, presumably by Gina, towards violence.

Of course, that makes sense. With the Cylon fleet now out of the picture, the Cylons within the Colonial Fleet need to take the steps necessary to achieve the overall goal, which means subversion from within. I also expect that these actions will give another Cylon fleet a chance to make a move. (It’s no guarantee that the Cylons don’t already have another fleet in position, but it would make things more interesting if the action focused on the Colonial internal issues for a while.)

Roslin certainly has an interesting past (teachers in a violent strike and sleeping with the President?), but most important, I think, is her memory of Baltar and Six. If she had doubts about Baltar before, she certainly has more of them now! Something tells me Mr. Nice Gaius is going to be a primary focus through the rest of the season, especially his interplay with Gina. Speaking of which, I loved how she reacted to his overtures.

As for the Cylon child and the danger it poses, I can see why Roslon would be so adamant, but exactly what is she afraid of? More importantly, she’s missing something critical. The child is the result of a union between human and Cylon, which means genetic compatibility. Her own restoration is proof enough of that (as convenient, yet inevitable, as it was). Letting the child be born and then studying it is one way to understand the enemy. After all, there’d be a true Cylon (Sharon), humans, and the hybrid…three degrees of differentiation. The real question, morally, is whether or not that study would be on living tissue.

I agree with Ron Moore on one thing. As great as it is to have so many plot threads carried forward in this episode, it just doesn’t come together as well as it could have. For one thing, as the secret leader of the Cylon Sympathizers, Gina is in rather comfortable quarters. Ron says it’s a brothel; there’s nothing in frame to suggest that. It could have been much worse of a letdown, but that said, it’s still a bit of a letdown.
  • what a load of tosh

5.4
    had there been a build up to the "baby cures cancer" plot line it may have been slightly less forced and stupid.
    gaisus tell us he experimented with the baby toasters blood
    not because we have seen him tinkering in other episodes but because he tells us he has (and we just didnt see him)
    lazy writting i thnk
    (Come to think of it hes been obsessed with the new 6 clone for the last few episodes HMMM ..... no lab work in them)

the good doctors final turn to the dark side is believable all he wants is respect and he gets none,roslyns note is the final blow to his ego that pushes him over the edge.

How will gauis use the cylon detector with out the nuke?
  • BSG's first bad episode.

This was BSG's first bad one, and wow, did they take a nosedive! The English language can scarcely do justice to the cretinous imbecility of virtually every aspect of this unfortunate abomination of an episode.

It's probably inevitable that a show I'd come to hold in such high regard would eventually come to disappoint, and probably bitterly disappoint, but after such a great first season-and-a-half, I never expected it to happen so abruptly.

Throughout BSG, there have been story arcs that were better than others, but I can live with most of what I saw as the shortcomings along the way--they were so outweighed by the show's benefits that I barely consider them worth mentioning. The previous episodes' extremely lackluster conclusion to the Pegasus arc marked the first time BSG had ever let me down in a big way. With "Epiphanies," we have, quite simply, the worst episode of the run to date. Even as I'm writing this, the third season having already aired, it remains the worst, and a monument to poor decision-making.

The lack of bad episodes prior to this, however, means that merely calling it "the worst" doesn't do justice to how monumentally awful this offering was on nearly every level.

The "Cylon sympathizer" storyline, which looked as though it was going to be a regular feature of BSG for a while, was so poorly conceived and offensively idiotic that I find myself, once again, at a loss for sufficient words with which to adequately envenom it. BSG's creators apparently agreed--after setting it up as what looks like a new ongoing storyline, it's barely mentioned again after this episode.

For that matter, practically everything that happened in "Epiphanies" has subsequently been erased, reversed, or otherwise abandoned.

The episode was one of the worst available examples of writers deciding they want to tell a particular story and grafting it on to a show with no regard for whether or not it actually fits there, or makes any sense in the context of the series (or makes sense in and of itself, for that matter--the "Cylon sympathizer" storyline made no sense on any level). At that point, they aren't writing BSG anymore. They're writing whatever they want, and calling it BSG.

The point of this episode's Laura story was to show that arbitary decision-making on behalf of leaders is fraught with peril. In the flashbacks, set on Caprica before the Cylon attack, Laura was the cooler head who fought against this kind of thing, just as she has throughout her time as President, but in "Epiphanies," she inexplicably succumbs to it, and it almost costs her her life. This is Laura cast as George Bush Jr.

The obvious problem with this is that Laura is NOT George Bush Jr. Her decision to eliminate the human/Cylon fusion comes out of nowhere and is based on nothing, and while we've come to expect that sort of thing from the present "President" of the United States, it's not the sort of thing the Laura Roslyn we've come to know would do.

There would have been a million ways to raise legitimate concerns about allowing the fusion to come into existence, most of them requiring no more than a line or two of dialogue. The humans could have hashed out the matter, the way they always do, and come to some decision, maybe a tough one, and maybe it's proven, at the end, to be the wrong one. The writers, however, wanted to tell a story about the dangers of arbitrary decision-making, so the show and the characters get bent into whatever odd angles are required to tell that story, with little or no concern for continuity or consistency. Laura decides she wants the fusion destroyed for unstated "security concerns," and everyone but Baltar immediately agrees.

Consider that, in the episode immediately preceding this one, the characters faced an ethical crisis--do we really deserve to live? In considering this, it was suggested that assassinating a dangerous lunatic who posed a clear danger to the entire fleet may be some morally unconscionable act. As obviously false as this should have been, Adama actually concluded that it might, and called it off. With "Epiphanies," we're offered a situation where it is suggested that a horror be committed, entirely needlessly, upon the person of a woman--Sharon--who has offered substantial aid to the fleet, including saving it, at one point, and has tried very hard to gain their trust, and no one except Crazy Baltar (in pursuit of his own agenda) even thinks twice about giving the green light for this to occur?

Whatever.

The magic cure for Roslyn's cancer is probably the episode's lowest point. It's exactly the sort of awful plot device BSG has always rigorously avoided, to the point that it's one of their trademarks. Now, she's been returned to health, and, even worse, she now has, after all this time, a sudden memory of seeing Baltar and Six together back on Caprica.

Even Baltar's bizarre moment of glory at having saved Laura was dashed by yet another idiotic creative decision that had him acting radically out-of-character in the service of a prefab plot.

Final analysis: not worthy of the dust on the boots of my BSG.