Battlestar Galactica

Epiphanies

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 20, 2006 on Syfy

• The gut-wrenching episode that we've been waiting two years for.

Ever since the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries in 2003, we've all wondered: When is Roslin's cancer finally going to bring her down. Well, it happened. Sort of.

This episode focuses on President Roslin's final days. Mary Mcdonnell's powerful acting makes you feel as if you're actually watching your own beloved leader meet her demise. It's painful, it's sad, and it's captivating.

Elsewhere, troubled Vice-President Gaius Baltar colludes with a far more dangerous version of Number 6 while working out both the data on Boomer's soon-to-be-aborted baby and his own feelings about his Cylonic situation. Eventually, he decides that instead of letting Roslin Die and assuming the presidency himself, he saves her with a drop of blood from Sharon's fetus. That was a little bit too "Deus ex Machina" for me, but I'll take it.

In the end, Roslin sits up, cancer free, ready to talk to the leader of a colonial terrorist cell (Greenpeace, anyone?) intent on forcing the military to SURRENDER to the Cylons. It's only been 188 days or so since the last time someone tried that and clearly they've already forgotten what happened that time.

Oh, and Baltar is convinced by Number Six (The first one, or #6#1 for those of you who appreciate complicated character nicknames) that saving Roslin was a mistake. So he presents a teeny tiny itsy bitsy NUCLEAR BOMB to #6#2 and her terrorist friends. No more mister nice Baltar, indeed.

All in all, this was an excellent ep, further cementing BSG's status as the best show on television. No one can compete with that.