Battlestar Galactica

Epiphanies

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 20, 2006 on Syfy

• After Resurrection Ship, I thought that this episode wouldn't be very exciting because RDM would be setting the scene for the rest of the second half. He did but wrote a riveting episode neverthless.

In the first season, I was nervous about Roslin's future. With advanced inoperable cancer, I thought that Ron had written himself into a corner and dreaded the day that Roslin would draw her last breath. I could not conceive, short of deus-ex-machina, that she would be saved.

I should have trusted RDM. I should have known that he would have a way to keep Roslin alive and make it seem entirely plausable. Plus, it had the added bonus of staying, perhaps indefinitely, the abortion of Karl and Sharon's baby.

The revelation of a peace movement within the fleet was a surprise, although it shouldn't have. Even in our own war on terror, there are those within the United States who feel that the 9/11 attacks were justified, that the West did something to provoke the attacks. RDM has done an excellent job of picking up this bit of human nature and incorporating it into this explosive drama.

Some are certain to object to my giving this episode only an '8' and certainly compared to other shows, it does rate higher. But when compared to the episodes that have gone before, despite the innovative plot twists, this is set up for what will follow. And I can hardly wait!