Battlestar Galactica

Epiphanies

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 20, 2006 on Syfy

• Enjoyably Labrynthine, but lacking something.

Please, don't get me wrong by my heading of this review (average) or the fact that I gave it a 7.5 . I enjoyed this episode. I've watched it twice since Friday and I plan on watching it again today (Monday.)

I am not the kind of person that craves the space battles, in fact I'm quite the opposite on a normal day this is the kind of episode I dream off. Plot Plot Character Character Plot. Unfortunately, I felt that something was missing. I wish I could put my finger on it.

The Baltar/Six/Gina triangle intrigues me greatly. Baltar's gift sent shudders down my spine and I can't wait to see what she uses that for.

I like how they "saved" Roslin. I felt it was a wonderfully dramatic way to do it. That doesn't mean I didn't think it was hokey too. I've just got to figure out how to reconcile those two feelings. What makes it great is she ordered it killed and that is what saves her. The irony drips (even though it was a leetle bit predictable. I give them points for style.)

The flashbacks with President Adar and the other guy are what drive me a little insane as far as this episode goes. Roslin is having these flashbacks that directly connect with a plotline she knows very little about. Being under sedation in the medical bay, she's out of the loop on the whole sabotage and peace movement thing for the most part. Why is she having flashbacks that are going to affect that? That's what felt weird to me. It felt wrong.

I've never wanted to smack Baltar harder than when he interupted the stand-off between Helo and Adama. I'm interested in where that relationship is headed.

Someone said to me that this was a filler episode. I say BSG doesn't have filler episodes. Every single one moves the plotlines along. Let's call this a breather episode. We do get a chance to breath in between major events.

I guess, now that I think about it...there was one other thing that bothered me about this episode, the underuse/non-use of the Pegasus. It was mentioned when they talked about grounding the flights but I don't beleive it came up again. I'm not advocating that the show become Battlestar Pegasus or even BattlestarS...but it's NOT just another ship in the fleet. The fall-out from the previous episodes hasn't just disappeared, something is surely going on...or has it already happened? Baltar says it's been weeks since he'd seen Six, Gina is already set up and doing well. What happened to that time? Nothing interesting? There was a time jump of some sort in the plotting of the story....So, I don't know, maybe by now Pegasus is just another ship in the fleet and we don't get to see things settle between the crews into a working relationship. I think we missed something or maybe these episodes are being shown out of order (Not normal for BSG.)

Let me make this completely clear, Average is what I went with as a title, but Average on BSG is a hell of a lot better than average for any other show on television.

Next week's episode? Sign me up. I am definitely along for this journey.

Give me BSG or give me a book!