Battlestar Galactica

Epiphanies

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 20, 2006 on Syfy

• Easier to kill.

It's odd, I would've thought Roslin's "moment of clarity," as they say, would have extended to not making horrible decisions, but I guess not. As ordering the termination of Sharon's pregnancy was one of her worst yet. And screw scientific research, tactically it's a bad call. Sharon has been a tremendous help to them. Who cares why she's doing it? As I said even I have trouble believing that she's 100% with them, but that seems to be the way it is. So why would you ever want to give her a reason to stop helping you? To in fact turn any "gen-u-ine compassion"(as Adama put it) that she may have into genuine hate. Those shots of her trying to fend off the guards as Adama looked on silently were tough to swallow. Of course that all got settled in what would of been a delicious piece of irony, as Sharon's baby was the key to saving Roslin's life, but enjoying it would mean that Roslin was still alive...bit of a Catch-22 there.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I would've given odds on Roslin surviving to annoy me for some time to come. Honestly though, it could of been one of my favorite characters and I still wouldn't have liked it. You don't build up a character's death for a season and a half and then not pull the trigger, you just don't do it. No matter what was going on behind the scenes or what you might have planned for the future, it always comes off as a cop out, at least to me it does. And it definitely put a bit of a blemish on the series.

The plot with the Demand Peace movement was interesting, and frightening. I'm glad it turned out to be Six leading them, as a human coming up with the idea of surrendering to the Cylons seems crazy. Baltar's scene with her where he's unable to control himself when given the chance to be with a physical Six was done well, and helped setup what was to come at the end. I think they missed an opportunity for a better episode title though, "Dr. Baltar or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." I couldn't believe he gave them the nuke and I just wish he was acting less out of a want to be with the corporeal Six and more out of anger over what was going to be done to "their" child.

I'm not really placing any blame from the decision to keep Roslin alive on this particular episode. And I enjoyed most of it anyway, just not anything particularly great about it.