Battlestar Galactica

Escape Velocity

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 25, 2008 on Syfy

• Escape Velocity

Escape Velocity was a perfect and entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because Chief Tyrol is still dealing with Cally's death and he starts slipping, scaring the others he might reveal them by accident, Baltar rises to new heights amid a religious freedom scandal and The Admiral is forced to reassign the Chief. There was drama, intrigue, and lots of character development. Colonel Tigh seeks answers from the captive Caprica Six, which I thought would reveal him as a Cylon. Instead she beats him half to death to help him find the answers he seeks. I look forward to watching how things unfold in the following episodes!!!!!!!!!
  • Oh to be a cylon...

"Escape Velocity" is a tightly scripted episode with a lot of intriguing character turns that manages to zone in on internal conflicts, but fails to effectively web it into the bigger picture. As a result, there's an underlying feeling of over indulgence to the proceedings. While BSG has always been a show to mix it up, deciding to slow things down considerably at such a crucial point in the season is a little worrisome. I enjoyed Roslin's concerns that come with allowing Baltar the freedom to preach to blind followers, and I also enjoyed her sharing with Baltar that her concerns for what people think mean little to nothing to her now that she's dying. But there's very little else I would call memorable from this particular episode. I do find it odd that there has been no investigation to the death of Callie, and how everyone has seemingly accepted it was suicide, even if logic may say otherwise. Overall, a rather mute episode for the final season. Tigh's one-to-one with Six felt hammered into the script, and while it's neat to note Head-Six has physical impact on Baltar, his storyline is becoming a little repetitive already. So, an acceptable but by no means exceptional fourth episode from the final season. I'd probably cut this episode some slack if the writers were unaware that this was the finale year, but considering they did, this almost touches upon filler territory, even if it does explore the four of the five's budding curiosity of what it is to be a cylon.
  • Once again this show falls aways from the story line, settles for padding out.

Isn't this show supposed to be about the survival of mankind against an over powering enemy? Aren't we supposed to be watching a scifi show about people trying to reach earth?

No, in this case, we are not. What we get to be subjected to is pointless drivel about how weak or strong some people are. Sure this might "set the mood" but it wastes a whole episode. Nothing actually happened.

If they want to pad it out, can't they spread one episode over two, and make something happen in each? This was so boring it hurt to watch.

Stop dragging it out. Finish the story before people can't be bothered watching anymore.
  • The Cylons have split - now the Colonials may be splitting.

7.1
    Identity continues to prevail as Season 4 unfolds, the canvas broadening on the Human side to encompass the questions of race and society. In doing so, it now mirrors what we have been witnessing among the Cylons. We open with Tyrol, grieving over the death of Cally - and the loss of Boomer - mixed with his deeper quest for his sense of self. The conflict of who he is compared to what he knows himself to be is brought to the fore by Cally's death, and in doing so undermines the last bastion he had against self-doubt: his work. Now he has nowhere to go except a spiral of self-loathing, mixed with a fear of his true nature being revealed and regret over events surrounding Boomer. Alongside him stands Saul Tigh, wrapped in a similar hell of regret and confusion, no-doubt fuelled by Cally's death, as he struggles to reconcile the fact he murdered his wife for being a Cylon collaborator....only to discover he is himself a Cylon. But while Tyrol descends into self-loathing, Tigh seeks absolution of a kind through the words of one of his "own kind": Six, who not only is a Cylon, but is also responsible for the near-annihiliation of the Human race. Standing in sharp contrast to them both is Tory. Of all the Revealed Four, she appears to have adopted most readily - and amorally - with her new "identity". Perhaps, as a politico, she always was amoral and manipulative. Now, through her exposure to Baltar and the ideas of "God", she has found a way of not only accepting what she is, but also of using it and "God" to place herself part from the humans around her. In doing so, she has not only been able to murder Cally - for reasons that may yet prove to be deeper than simple concern that Cally knew what Tyrol, Anders, Tigh and she are - she is able to absolve herself of any human guilt. Tory's actions in this episode are interesting in that they marker her out as quite possibly being in the same camp overall as Cavil, Simon and Doral among the other seven models. What's more, while it is never implied, one has to ask just how much influence she has over Roslyn's recent (and devisive) actions. I ask this because once again, we see Roslyn move further to the right to a point where her actions are touching the realm of the fascist dictator. This is not the Laura Roslyn we witness in the first two seasons of BSG - although the hints of this side of her nature were certainly there. Throughout season 3 and now here, she has become increasingly autocratic in her descision-making processes, more isolated in her position - and more convinced in her absolute "rightness". Is this a side-effect, as she suggests, of her impending death, or due (particularly in this episode) to her own negative obsession with Baltar or is it a combination of both, potentially stirred by Tory's quiet whisperings? Certainly, it is cause for concern. At a time when action is needed to hold the Humans together as a cohesive whole, Rosyln's actions are becoming increasingly devisive. And while she may have quelled her dispute with Bill Adama, there is only a thin skin covering the cracks previously opened in their professional relationship. Elsewhere, Baltar's Christ-like development continues, with strong parallels again between early Christianity here on Earth. Not only fo we see the open persecution of his followers in something akin to what more than likely happened to early Christian believers, we also see Baltar mirror Christ's visit to the temple. True, temple he visited had not be usurped in the manner described in the New Testment - but Baltar's outrage and actions have a direct parallel with Christ's anger at the market stalls and money lenders plying their trade in His Father's house. Other echoes of the Bible ring through this element of the story arc, with Baltar also coming over as a kind of BSG equivalent of Saul of Tarsus. While Baltar never outright perscuted or brutalised anyone, his self-centred ego nevertheless lead to the death of billions; similarly, his life has been marked in part by repeated demonstrations of contempt for those around him. Yet here he now stands, like Saul after his healing by Ananias, preaching the "gospel" he once vehemently despised.

And herein lay the seeds for perhaps the most lasting split within the Colonial ranks. It is hard not to see how this deep religious divide cannot become a wedge that cracks open the Colonial's unity. Certainly, it will be interesting to see how this plays into the clear and strong division now evident in the Humano-Cylon ranks....assuming Natalie/Six and her cohorts survive Cavil's whithering attack witnessed at the end of the last episode. Overall, "Escape" presents another dose of excellent personal and inter-personal drama. And in this is perhaps its one failing. coming as the forth installment of such microscopic examinations, this episode risks coming over as plodding - and at times the storyline does seem a little contrived. Also, the subject matter can, if not viewed carefully, seem like a re-tread of established themes and ideas. In this respect, one can understand why some would mark this episode down. I don't personally view it this way, and would urge those who do to go back and view "Escape" again - possibly after re-watching the first three segments of this season. A fine tune is being played here, and the strings stretch beautifully across the arc so far. Questions I'd still like / would like to see resolved:

- How is Saul Tigh's being a Cylon going to be reconciled? Everything up until his revelation as one of the final four (the original opening titles, the references to the first Cylon War, the events of Razor and the webisodes that sit alongside it) very clearly intimates human-Cylons were a product initially developed towards the end of the first Cylon War and likely during the 40 years following it. How then can Tigh, who fought alongside Bill Adama in the first war, be a humano-Cylon?

- Why isn't Cally's death being investigated more closely? Unless the Galactica has an incredibly weak series of failsafes, there is simply no way she could open the outer hatch of the viper launch tube from the control room and eject herself into space (not without depressuring the entire hanger bay). Similarly, it seems impossible Tory could return the keys to the override locker inside the tube after killig Cally without herself being exposed to the vacuum of space / depressuring the entire hanger bay.

- What is Baltar's Six? I've been fairly convinced she exists only inside his head...have even speculated that he is actually the very _human_ mind and soul of Gaius Baltar now inside a Cylon construct body (his essence having been uploaded to a resurrection hub with that of Six when his home was destroyed at the time of the Cylon attack on Caprica). But this episode apparently suggests she is something more. In the stand-off with the Marine on Galactica, not only do we see her (from Baltar's perspective) lift him to his feet after being struck - we also see two shots from other perspectives that seem to show him being held up by some invisible force. If this was intentional, this it makes "Six" capable of interaction with the corporeal world, and certainly not something simply inside his head. It will be interesting to see if / how this is played out.

Of course, nonne of these questions must be addressed before the end of the season - particularly the one relating to Cally's death (which could be considered as simply a plot point required to move Galen Tyrol into his new "role"). But it would be nice if at least some effort is made to answer the other two.
  • Around the usual

So, somehow this is the aftermath to Celly and her death and chief's grief as he is not only have to deal with being cylon but lose of her wife and rising his son alone.. And he does not taking nothing easy - is it his cylon part but he crashes a raptor and ends up with scene in bar.. where he takes it out like she never cared for Cally..

Ok - and we have Tigh who is getting his own lessons of being cylon from cylon..

And I think the most interesting storyline was Roslin, Lee and Gaius - that Gaius cult is one weird thing but it seems to look like Tori is more and more slipping away on that side.. and Gaius.. I really started to scare a little when I thought - what Gaius will manage with that kind of religious power.. let's wait and see.
  • Cally is dead, long live BSG

I rated this episode a 10, simply because they got rid of the worst plot of the whole show. I've wanted her to die since she came on. "My baby, my baby." If only lost could kill off the annoying blonde chick with a token baby that polls say will attract women viewers. Unfortunately, Starbuck won't be able to be killed (nice teaser though), although maybe Helo will get chopped too. This really is a 10 episode, because now we know each one will be just a little better. Its kind of rare shows cut the dead weight from their cast, but everything is better for it.
  • oh oh, I knew having 4 on 4 excellent episodes was utopia...

Someone here already wrote about how "draged" the stories were in episode s4.04. Yes the parts with "Head-Six seeming to be real", the Caprica-Six-Ellen Tigh morph, Colonel Tigh's remourses, Tory's inreasing cylonism, Roslin's illness, Tyrol's problems, all are significant but not important enough to fill a whole episode, especially in a season that is the final one.

I missed to mention Baltar's and Lee's plots simply cause I find them utterly boring or even annoying and the only reason I tolerate them and didn't FWD their scenes is because I hope some of this might make sense in the future story development. Cause having Baltar getting l*id with everyone and keep wondering about his divine/religious destiny looses interest after a while, imagine how hard is to cope with it for 4 seasons in a row.

Or having Lee from being someone playing important part in the fleet's route and survival DEMOTED to a rather naive politician trying to control Roslin's power is painfull to watch.

I hoped the writers would stay focused in the LKAR characters instead we get whole episodes devoted on Tyrol and Tigh. I don't quite understand why Tyrol has taken so much focus the last two seasons while Athena's presense for example, has been so much reduced. As much as I like his character it is a SECONDARY one for a reason.

These are signs of the same poor writing we had in season 3 and I don't know how to feel about it. For the time being I will stay optimist and have faith that the rest of the season will give us mostly episodes as good as the first 3.
  • A transitional episode uplifted by philosophy

Jane Espenson, the writer for this episode, was on the writing staff of the Joss Whedon cult favorite "Firefly", a series that is held in high regard among the Galactica production crew. In one of the episodes ("War Stories"), a peculiar philosophy is mentioned. In short, the idea is: by torturing someone to his or her very limits, that person's true self will emerge. That episode of "Firefly" immediately came to mind while watching the story unfold.

Because this is largely a transitional piece, the key to success was character exploration and, in turn, a philosophical theme. Almost everyone involved in this episode was tested by some kind of pain or strife. Tyrol, for example, was tested by the knowledge that his wife's "suicide" was anything but (though he doesn't seem sure), and the real man who emerges is not a pleasant sight. Tyrol's growing numbness could leave him vulnerable to Tory's manipulation.

Tory has done a fairly good job of turning herself into an agent of pain, using it to push Baltar's buttons (rather effectively, I might add). Though it's not explicitly stated, it wouldn't be shocking to discover that she's manipulating Tigh, Tyrol, and Roslin with equal deftness. As noted in the review for the previous episode, she is the one "new" Cylon who has embraced the benefits of her newly-revealed nature. There has always been an amoral aspect to Tory's character, but the moment of revelation has seemingly stripped away some of her internal checks and balances.

Tigh, like Tyrol, is struggling with the knowledge of his true nature, and his conversation with Caprica Six is revealing. I'm not sure I was completely sold on her actions and reactions in this episode; the characterization felt "off". Tigh's guilt and self-loathing came through very clearly, but her dialogue choices were too "perfect" for the occasion. Even so, this provided an interesting parallel between her and Tory; they both act upon others to help them "know themselves".

In addition to Tory's possible influence, Roslin's own recognition of her impending death has pushed her towards an even more fascist mindset. Roslin has always been an interesting character, because she has been willing to subvert the popular masses in the name of their survival. Her decision to stand up to Adama in the first season was all about saving Humanity, and as she says in this episode, as time runs out, she's less and less concerned about the opinions of others.

So Roslin is more than happy to change the law to frustrate Gaius Baltar and paint Lee Adama as naïve for questioning it. Adama, having a rather flexible definition of morality himself (particularly when it comes to his "family"), doesn't disagree. The episode itself suggests that Roslin might have been right to be concerned about Baltar, because the result of his trial is a renewed sense of confidence. Even Lee seemed concerned with the consequences of his decision.

Ironically, I'm still convinced that the survival of Humanity is through a blending with the Cylons. Baltar and his monotheistic cult could very likely be a part of that movement, along with Kara's search for Earth, and that puts Roslin as more of an impediment to survival than a benefit. Yet in very many ways, they never would have gotten so far without her, and it's quite possible that she's the final Cylon, acting from unseen and unrealized influences.

The episode gave me enough to enjoy on a philosophical level that the minor character and style choices didn't bother me as much as I initially thought. From a style perspective, I thought the arrangement of the episode, simply from the editing aspect, didn't always work for me. Taken with some of the dialogue, it left me feeling a bit bothered in a very vague sense. The transitional nature of the story also didn't help. But as a fan of shows like "Lost", sometimes all I need is a good philosophical hook, and this episode had that in excess.
  • Baltar sets off a religious debate.

Let me just start out this review by say that as a whole I personally really liked this episode, and I found it both very exciting and intriguing. The main reason that I liked this episode so much is because Baltar has always been one of my most favorite characters on the show, so I couldn't help but love this episode since it mainly centers around Baltar. I especially enjoyed the scene between Baltar and Roslin when they are together in Baltar's prison cell. I think that James Callis plays the role of Gaius Baltar so well. Besides, Baltar's story line, I also really liked Number Six's story line. Tricia Helfer definitely plays the role of Number Six perfectly, and I think that this episode proves that. In closing, I absolutely loved this episode. I thought that this was a very well written and very well acted episode by everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next new episode of Battlestar Galactica.
  • there were many plot points in this episode. Six may not be in Balter's imagination. Tyrol is self destructing. Tigh is looking for meaning.

7.7
    Many people might not like this episode, as it had many plots going at once. I have noticed the show is becoming more surreal, with obvious religious metaphors. The scene with Baltar getting "pulled up" by six was the first real evidence that she is more than in his head. Perhaps she is an angel (or demon)? His speech at the end was suprising well written nd with his healing the previous episode, it looks like he is becoming a christ figure.

Tyrol is self destructing and obviously is worried his cylon side may end up betraying the fleet like Boomer. I thought it noreworthy that the accident with racetrack and his mention of Boomer seemed to parallel. I believe he "blew up" at Adama specifically to get demoted by saying things that he knew Adama would not stand. He does not want the power to cause damage like Boomer did when her switch was thrown turning her into a cylon.

Tigh is one of the best characters in television. He deserves an emmy. He is picking six's brain for how to behave, and his conversations with six were very surreal.

Fianally, the scene of boomer kissing Cavil was certainly a suprise. Dean Rockwell must be loving this role. lol
  • The show this season stinks, it used to be watchable even with all the role and character changes. Now we has f*** this f*** that for lack of imagination on the writers part. Apparently it's ok to curse if it's not a real swear word.

3.4
    I'm tired of Baltar and the nonsense that is played on the show. First he becomes president after cooperating in the near-extermination of the human race, now he's a religious leader espousing how they are all perfect. What a bunch of nonsense, if this was realistic he would have been spaced as soon as anyone with means could get to him.

Then we have Starbuck of on some trip to find Earth, but suddenly she doesn't know where it is...just that before they were travelling in the wrong direction. Why wouldn't they just back track to the nebula and start from there?

A president who's dying from cancer after being cured by Baltar of all people and an ex-pilot fighting over "religious freedom" and forget the consequences. Where's the martial law that ought to be imposed?

Where are the Cylons, now they've wiped out a few models perhaps they can go back to do what they do best and attack the humans.

All in all it appears that this show has run one season too many and perhaps needs to be put out of our misery!

Take up Jerichi in it's place
  • All drama no SF - and this used to be a good thing!

I thought I'd be the last to complain about BSG having loads of drama with a splash of SF to boot; after all, I considered this series to be drama first and SF second. However, in this, the last season, I really hoped for the full throttle. This is exactly what we got with the first two episodes, and now we are back in the set-up mode for the obvious payoff in the last few episodes of season 4.1. Somehow (which was not the case the first three seasons) I am NOT happy about this. More pathos with mourning, identity? We had it. Roslin dying. Ditto. More rage. Ydda yadda. The most interesting parts of the fable, dissention with Cylons and the search for Earth were not touched upon - meaning they will be in the next episode - bu also meaning this was a "dramatic filler" - but a whole episode of it?!
    I simply expected more from the best show on TV and was left wanting.
    Cheers!
  • frak me

Although this was not as good as the last episode, it still caught my attention with the great character development and great speeches. I normally don't like episodes with Baltar as the main character, but this episode was different. This was one of the more deep episodes, it leaned towards religious freedom and many other subjects. They really it the mark with this episode. The only problem with this episode was that the main plot was not furthered. They tried with Baltar and Tory but let's face it hear people, her character sucks. Overall great episode next one will probably be better
  • Post-Cally-death. Gaius sect is beaten up. President Roslin gets personal. The Chief, Colonel Tigh and Aide Tory asks those old-age questions: Who am I and Why am I here?

This was a very satisfying episode. From the dealing with death. To dealing with guilt. To accepting who you are. Deep fundemental philosphies that we brush off with cliche feelings.

The religious aspect always intrigue. Kind of hard to ignore the relevance to today's environment. The message may be peace but the implementation and reception are tow seperate things. The Sons of Aries illustrates the small bias to huge xenophobia in us to something different. Baltar is no saint but then again no one ever is.

The matter about Chief - who I think fell on the sword on purpose because who didn't trust himself maintaining Galactica equipment. Did he mean to not replace that switch or did the programming kick in? He recused himself honourably.

Roslin is going through her steps of death. I think her determination to make things 'right' will threaten all.
  • Swing and a miss...strike two!

5.4
    So far, season four has run a consistent pattern of hit/miss, hit/miss. This being the fourth episode, it was a miss.

Tyrol's self-loathing and grief; Baltar's madness and God-complex; Tory's growing narcissism; Tigh's losing his sense of self; Lee nobly struggling to ensure that Baltar's civil rights are protected so that he can become a threat to everyone again; Six feeling conflicted about causing the deaths of billions of people (but she learned to be a better person afterwards).

WHO CARES???

This episode screams out "SELF INDULGEANCE" and does little to further the overall story. With a limited number of episodes remaining before the series wraps up for good, we can ill afford to waste even one on a meandering mess like this one turned out to be.
  • And this is how you remind me of what I really am.

Ok, first of all if you are looking for momentum in the plot of the show then you will be disappointed but if you like episodes that have character development then this is an episode for you. The fallout of last weeks episode is intense as Chief Tyrol falls apart. The scene between him and Adama was intense as he came apart at the seems. He ranted on how how he settled for Cally when he really wanted Boomer, but you're not sure if that was the truth or just the ranting of a man/cylon in desperate need of an intervention. Next week doesn't look much better for him. Saul Tigh is also falling apart as he continually interviews Caprica Six but sees the face of he dead wife, Ellen. He is desperate to keep his own secrets but wants to end his pain and loss and thinks that because he is a cylon he can just turn it off but he discovering it isn't that easy. The scenes between Tigh and Six were the most interesting of the episode, plus it was good to see Ellen again even if it was only in Tigh's head. Things aren't looking so good for him either.

Then there is Tory. Ahh, Tory. Tory seems to be the only one who has accepted her Cylon nature and after last episode (bad Tory!) has come to terms with who and what she is and is reveling in it. She is even taking advantage of Baltar's weakness for women and sex. Yes, our little Tory has suddenly become very very dangerous. (But I still think she's hot.)

Baltar has become extremely dangerous again has he has grabbed on to religious power. The One God movement has taken hold with Baltar has its leader and he has taken a major stand which puts him up, once again, against Laura Roslin. Oh yeah that's gonna end well. Wait a second, when exactly did Baltar become the hero and Roslin the villian? Tee hee I love this show.

Oh yeah speaking of Roslin, her need for power and secrecy puts her once again against Lee and his idealism. I am starting to like this storyline. It asks a very important question that is very current. When is idealism a bad thing? And when is secrecy a necessary evil? Is Lee's idealism going to bite him in the ass? Has Laura Roslin's need for power gone too far? Not much forward momentum in the plot, but there was some seriously important character development. Not for everyone but I liked it. As a matter of fact, I'm liking the whole season. I'm gonna miss this show when its gone.
  • Civilian riots aboard a military vessel, people visit the shopping mall ship to buy suits, and debate politics OH MY.

5.1
    I am so glad that 30,000 people that are on the verge of extinction have time to go to the clothing store and pick up those Armani suits and debate politics and freedom of religion. I would really like to see the shopping mall ship to see where they get all those nice looking suits. Did anything happen in this episode that furthers the main plot? Sure there was some good drama but it was filler. Hopefully we can get one episode this season that isn't just filler. I remember in an interview Ron Moore said with this being the last season there wouldn't be any pressure to write fillers. Well Mr. Moore can we have 1 episode that is not filler? BSG is my favorite show and I hope it has a few more great episodes before its over.
  • BEST. EPISODE. (this season).

What the frack have people got against the most awesome episode of the season?! There was so much depth here, I almost drowned in it - and happily so, after the philosophical drought of ALL the previous episodes in this season.

Do Not be fooled by the crappy episode summary. A Lot of things happen, not all of which I will be able to cover, so please bear with me, and do take time out to watch one of the finest episodes ever written.

Ok. For anybody who gives a damn, I fired a shot of warning to anybody bringing Cally back. They did not - Chief only remembers her whilst working. Phew.

I think that the shot of the hugely damaged Battlestar Galactica really brought home for me the toll that the war has taken on the external and internal aspects of that ship and its inhabitants. And forgive me for being so slow, but I really felt for the first time how much like Adama this ship is - the bastion of hope for an entire civilisation, its tough exterior permanently scarred by its battles, yet being so vulnerable to loss on the inside.

And that brings us to the main theme of this episode: The hope of redemption in the face of terrible odds and guilt. And the cold hard truth of consequences. Gaius is only a sounding board for this.

Gaius is further developed here. His one true God is a delicious metaphor for dictators, and that too, a Cylon one - given how his "hearing God" is just a number 6. This is the first time that we see her have a direct physical effect on him, when she picks him up. That looked physically impossible, were it not for 6 being there. How the frack are writers going to explain this, multiple personality disorder or not?!

Going on to his redemption point: developed with the help of Tori (interesting how much he is influenced by Cylon chicks!), he states that if you really become one with God, you can never do bad. That makes humans perfect, just as they are. i.e. no consequences for our actions. Simple sinning, accepting that sin as part of our "perfection", and being forgiven. Holy Frack.

Gaius is countered, to some degree, by a dying Roslin. She is truly becoming more badass with every episode. She has a new wig (which is awesome!) and a new "don't care about the rules, but just get the job done" attitude of all dictators (sound familiar, USA?!). She feels that almost dying has given her a new perspective on life - one of not caring about the rules intended to bring about consequences. But she is strangely the one who wants to prevent Gaius' message that doing anything is okay. The delicious irony is that she uses such dangerously unethical means to prevent a dangerously unethical message.

Enter Lee Adama, who stands up to her and for what he believes in (freedom of speech, a democracy, the rule of law yada yada yada).

And poignantly, Adama and Roslin muse over is "idealism" in the face of "hard realities". But isn't the whole point of having ideals is to overcome the base instincts that tend to drive us to extremes in the face of "hard realities"? Does doing what is right matter, if it has "bad consequences"? Frack me silly.

And instead of completely hating her guts, the writers do something uniquely Battlestar: they make her complex. So although she threatens Gaius (*so awesome*) and intimidates her government, she also gently (and touchingly!) persuades Adama to accept her imminent death by making him finish a reading a book. A book he loved so much that he never read it to the end for fear of ending something beautiful. Dictators have rarely been so pragmatic, twisted and lovable.

Chief also fracks up. He seems to be losing control of his life. After the powerpacked opening lament scene, he makes a mistake that compromises a Raptor crew. And when Adama comes to comfort him, he lashes out about Callie (saying how truly flawed she was, and how he had obviously settled for second best after Boomer left him), and then at Adama (why he threatened to kill Callie a long time ago to save the integrity of the fleet). Despite numerous warnings, he screams at Adama to relieve him of his duties and Adama duly obliges.

But the best part of the episode is what is going on with Sol. He sees his dead wife in 6, consoles Chief, and starts having conversations on a daily basis with the prisoner. He is desperately trying to find some meaning to his existence through his conversations, and eventually some forgiveness for the terrible things he has done. And 6 sees this. So she beats the crap out of him to make him "feel something". When he begs for more, she kisses him. Mind Frack.

I guess I would like to leave with the passage read out during the episode; when Adama breaks new ground by reading the previously untouched pages:

"I wasn't afraid of dying. I was afraid of the emptiness that I felt inside. I couldn't feel anything ... and that is what scared me. It came into my thoughts. It filled them. And it felt *good*."
  • Mainly just an episode to fill space, but still managed to be pretty good.

Nothing really pivotal happened during this episode, though there were some interesting developments or more like set-ups for developments in the next episode. As another reviewer said Tyrol gave an outstanding performance in this episode, very tense and edgy. As for Baltar its still pretty hard to see where his character is going, which I'm definitely looking forward to. Only about 10 seconds of the show was devoted to Starbuck and her mission (Galactica seems lonely without Lt. Gaeta, Helo, Athena, and Anders). I'm also looking forward to see how Lee's character develops with his new career. Oh and Roslin is wearing a wig in this episode.
    Though certainly not the best episode of the series, it should not be missed.
  • The acting is good. The story line draged. Tyrol gives the performance in the show I think...

Cally was lost. The chief gave a nice eulogy. But, you can see that he's about to lose it. A raptor is almost destoyed because he missed changing out a part. We do get to see a good crash. Tory Foster is starting to embrace being a Cylon. Saying that they are made to be perfect. Col.Tigh is seeing his wife in Six and he,s looking for, forgiveness. What he gets is pain and then pleasure. The Six inside Baltar's head, is really pushing him into this religious fight. At one point we see Baltar being picked up and held up by Six. Baltar looks like a puppet. Or like he's being hung on a cross.Does this make him jesus. The Chief by this point has lost it so bad that he go's off on Admiral Adama. Who demotes him, to be placed out of sight, out of mind. Lee is up to his goody, goody thing. Which is really pissing off the president. The fact that he's the one person trying to really do the right thing. May be all thats left of human kind when it's all said and done. One honest man.
  • I can see why a lot of people won't like this episode, but there is no doubt in my mind this is one of Battlestar Galactica's most stunning hours of television.

This episode alone proves why Battlestar Galactica is the best television show ever produced. I can already hear people blabbing about how "slow" this episode was, but if you paid attention, you would notice the incredible depth to the characters in this episode and that alone drives the hour.

Yet it is all connected. The entire episode revolves around Baltar and his perception of "perfection". The newly revealed Cylons continue to struggle with their new reality on life and it is simply riveting to watch. Tyrol's breakdown to Adama at the bar was fantastic writing and acting and brought together aspects of the first four seasons, specifically his love for Boomer, who turned out to be a Cylon, and how he desperately fell for Cally. Simply devastating, yet it's the truth and Tyrol knows it. He is slowly realizing what his new life as a Cylon really means as he strives to become "perfect".

Speaking of which, how awesome is Tory? I really like how we know so little about her background, but she has quickly become the most stable (and possibly evil) of the newly revealed Cylons. She has quickly accepted her new life and her scene with Baltar before the attack was so well done. Baltar knows there is something mystifying about her, and yet he doesn't know what.

Tigh's "visions" with Caprica Six were also an important part of this episode. Unbeknown to Six, Tigh is searching for his true nature and what it really means to be a Cylon. Six's answers are vague, yet intriguing, and their duel obsession with pain relates back to what Cylons feel and how human they really are.

Someone please hand Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell an Emmy. The ever-brilliant Roslin, who has accepted her destiny of dying, continues to do everything in her power to deny Baltar any and all chance of regaining control. She and Lee continue to butt heads over what is "right" and this rivalry should continue to build throughout the season.

Finally, Baltar, upon urging from Head Six, took his stand in bringing his one-God belief into the fleet. His struggle with God's plan for him has always been a favorite plot point for me, and this episode utilized this point to examine the religious conflicts now spreading across the Galactica. Baltar's final monologue tied the entire episode together brilliantly, declaring everyone to be "perfect" as Head Six and Tory looked on.

Truly, the internal conflicts of the characters as well as the fascinating debates on freedom of assembly and religion drove this episode and for me, made it one of the most memorable hours of television I've seen in a very long time.
  • Just another episode that seems to be just fill in material

I just wish i could make up my mind on this season, One week i just enjoy the episode that is currently on and the next i am disapointed by what i see.

This week's episode was a disapointment for me. It is like there is two galactica series running , one with the usual stuff that we like and one type of show that seems to have a deep religious undertone.

The writers are trying to elevate Gaius to god status with the events that he going thru in the series at at least this season and the fact that it does not seem to have any resolution is what annoys me.

This episode went nowhere plotwise, it was just about another step of Gaius towards his godlike status that the writers want to push in in the series.

The actual "rea" plot was left behind again on this episode and it seems that it is gonna be the recipe for the season...

As my title said this episode seems to be just fill in storyline because the authors seem to want to stretch the story long enough to finish the season....

In my head i just have this question going...

"where are the going with Gaius Baltar" it is been almost 4 seasons and there seem to be no goal to his character..?"