Battlestar Galactica

Escape Velocity

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 25, 2008 on Syfy

• I can see why a lot of people won't like this episode, but there is no doubt in my mind this is one of Battlestar Galactica's most stunning hours of television.

This episode alone proves why Battlestar Galactica is the best television show ever produced. I can already hear people blabbing about how "slow" this episode was, but if you paid attention, you would notice the incredible depth to the characters in this episode and that alone drives the hour.

Yet it is all connected. The entire episode revolves around Baltar and his perception of "perfection". The newly revealed Cylons continue to struggle with their new reality on life and it is simply riveting to watch. Tyrol's breakdown to Adama at the bar was fantastic writing and acting and brought together aspects of the first four seasons, specifically his love for Boomer, who turned out to be a Cylon, and how he desperately fell for Cally. Simply devastating, yet it's the truth and Tyrol knows it. He is slowly realizing what his new life as a Cylon really means as he strives to become "perfect".

Speaking of which, how awesome is Tory? I really like how we know so little about her background, but she has quickly become the most stable (and possibly evil) of the newly revealed Cylons. She has quickly accepted her new life and her scene with Baltar before the attack was so well done. Baltar knows there is something mystifying about her, and yet he doesn't know what.

Tigh's "visions" with Caprica Six were also an important part of this episode. Unbeknown to Six, Tigh is searching for his true nature and what it really means to be a Cylon. Six's answers are vague, yet intriguing, and their duel obsession with pain relates back to what Cylons feel and how human they really are.

Someone please hand Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell an Emmy. The ever-brilliant Roslin, who has accepted her destiny of dying, continues to do everything in her power to deny Baltar any and all chance of regaining control. She and Lee continue to butt heads over what is "right" and this rivalry should continue to build throughout the season.

Finally, Baltar, upon urging from Head Six, took his stand in bringing his one-God belief into the fleet. His struggle with God's plan for him has always been a favorite plot point for me, and this episode utilized this point to examine the religious conflicts now spreading across the Galactica. Baltar's final monologue tied the entire episode together brilliantly, declaring everyone to be "perfect" as Head Six and Tory looked on.

Truly, the internal conflicts of the characters as well as the fascinating debates on freedom of assembly and religion drove this episode and for me, made it one of the most memorable hours of television I've seen in a very long time.