Battlestar Galactica

Escape Velocity

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 25, 2008 on Syfy

• Oh to be a cylon...

"Escape Velocity" is a tightly scripted episode with a lot of intriguing character turns that manages to zone in on internal conflicts, but fails to effectively web it into the bigger picture. As a result, there's an underlying feeling of over indulgence to the proceedings. While BSG has always been a show to mix it up, deciding to slow things down considerably at such a crucial point in the season is a little worrisome. I enjoyed Roslin's concerns that come with allowing Baltar the freedom to preach to blind followers, and I also enjoyed her sharing with Baltar that her concerns for what people think mean little to nothing to her now that she's dying. But there's very little else I would call memorable from this particular episode. I do find it odd that there has been no investigation to the death of Callie, and how everyone has seemingly accepted it was suicide, even if logic may say otherwise. Overall, a rather mute episode for the final season. Tigh's one-to-one with Six felt hammered into the script, and while it's neat to note Head-Six has physical impact on Baltar, his storyline is becoming a little repetitive already. So, an acceptable but by no means exceptional fourth episode from the final season. I'd probably cut this episode some slack if the writers were unaware that this was the finale year, but considering they did, this almost touches upon filler territory, even if it does explore the four of the five's budding curiosity of what it is to be a cylon.