Battlestar Galactica

Final Cut

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 09, 2005 on Syfy

• Fuel on the fire.

Ahh, the old documentary style episode, a mainstay of dramatic television. I will say the storylines didn't seem at all out of character for the show and there was some nice additions to the running plot with the reveal of a new Cylon amongst the fleet and the Cylons just becoming aware of Sharon's situation on board Galactica. Also the episode did have a ton of good character development for some of the secondary characters, especially Gaeta and Dee, or as I now feel compelled to call her, Anastasia.

I couldn't help but laugh at that first shot of Gaeta with his collar unbuttoned and smoking like someone who doesn't have much experience smoking, and that tattoo was crazy. It was just so unexpectedly out of character. But beyond the humor what he had to say was really moving. I can sympathize with the fear of your life becoming nothing more than your career and his want to be something more than just Lt. Gaeta. Dee's story about her father and joining up also led to some emotional moments, as did most of the crew's talking heads.

Tigh was in rare form while suffering under public scrutiny for his foul up during Adama's convalescence. Quick tip for you Tigh, when you realize a reporter is setting you up to look bad, don't then give them better footage than they could have even hoped to have gotten. I thought the death threat against him did make for some compelling drama(I was half suspecting Ellen).

I think my favorite part was during the two Raiders kamikaze attack. Getting to experience the action the way the crew in the CIC and hanger experience it was and interesting turn. The fear and frustration of being only able to hear what's happening and not see it was a good choice.

I was nervous about the episode format, but they pulled it off well.