TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

2009 for the rest of the series you gotta be frakin' kidding me!!

kokonut1971

[1]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 3

That is just horribly plain sad. 2009 for the rest of the season.

I had read rumours about this but i did not believe it was thru as i was reading possible spoilers of the season. There is no word to say how i feel except that i am extremely dissapointed with most of this season's episode and that i gotta wait half a year for the rest of it? I betcha we won't even get to know who is the last cylon before next year.

I could die, crash in a plane, get kidnapped and never get a chance to know the end of this series. Are the producers mental or what? I would accept like " we will be back this fall" or something similar but now this announcment will upset a lot of people who might just throw their arms up in the air and move on to other thing than this waiting game they are playing with viewers!

peace out

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

24Titan

[2]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 13

1. Next week is the midseason finale. So we still have one more episode.

2. This is not news. They've talked about doing this since before the writer's strike, and then the strike necessitated the split.

3. Be glad that the series is finishing. There were rumors that if the strike had gone on for too long, the show would have ended at Episode 11. So be glad that you're getting the complete series.

4. Why wouldn't people come back? It's frakkin' BSG!

123home123

[3]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 55
    Most fans were already expecting a 2009 air date for the 2nd half of the season, so it won't be a shock. They won't be happy, but they won't be surprised either.

What can you do? Part of the problem is the writers' strike this winter. That set back the production of the show several weeks. The final 10 episodes won't be ready to go this summer. The only timeframe is the fall. BSG didn't do too well the last time it aired in the fall. Sci Fi never starts up its main scripted series in November or December because TV viewers decline from the distractions of the hectic holiday season.

If you die or get kidnapped, I think a TV show would be the last of your worries. BSG is an outstanding television show, but it's still just that, a television show. It's not life and death, and the story won't get worse just because the air dates are delayed until 2009.

We had a 12-month hiatus between Season 3 and Season 4 and yet the viewer numbers are actually higher for Season 4 than they were for Season 3. That's pretty impressive for such a deep drama series with interconnected episodes and multi-episode story arcs. I think the fans will come back in 2009. I know I will.

tribalchic

[4]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 17

didn't we just have this discussion in another thread?

anyway's yeah, I have a feeling that even if the writers strike never happened sci-fi would have still done this even if all the episodes would have been finished.Why? because BSG makes alot of money for this sub-par quality network and prolonging its ending is just another way to make more money at the expense of its fans.

TVObsessee

[5]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 6
    when does this half of the season end?

123home123

[6]Jun 7, 2008
    Next week (June 13).

h00plah

[7]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    Just to clear things up, if you've seen the preview for next weeks episode (specifically on the "space" channel), it says that next weeks episode is the last episode until 2009. So you can expect that new episodes will arrive earliest in January, latest in March.

haldrey

[8]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 22
    I totally agree with you.

MrShotShot

[9]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 15

I really don't see what the big deal is - most shows that run January-May (24 for example) would a) already be over and b) not be coming back until January. How is this any different?

Also, it's important to remember that once it does start back, that's it, BSG is over. No more. So why not stretch it out as long as possible.

h00plah

[10]Jun 7, 2008
    MrShotShot wrote:

I really don't see what the big deal is - most shows that run January-May (24 for example) would a) already be over and b) not be coming back until January. How is this any different?

Also, it's important to remember that once it does start back, that's it, BSG is over. No more. So why not stretch it out as long as possible.

That's true. Once the show resumes, it goes on until the final episode, then it's over until Caprica airs and possible telemovies are produced and released.

hazelnut144

[11]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Well I'm not hugely happy about having to wait until 2009, but it's been a possibility for quite some time now. And I definitely won't ditch it. Although by 2009, I am REALLY hoping they are talking about early 2009. Like January. Although 123Home123 posted another topic about a few webisodes, and a couple tv movies a la Razor? So that could at least somewhat tide us over maybe. I can hope. And it is probably going to be a massively huge cliffhanger. I am going for either D'Anna revealing the final cylon, or pointing at the final cylon, at which point the screen blacks out.

123home123

[12]Jun 7, 2008
    Don't forget the Caprica TV movie this fall/winter. It's supposed to air sometime later this year.

h00plah

[13]Jun 7, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    Don't forget the Caprica TV movie this fall/winter. It's supposed to air sometime later this year.

Yeah, this is something to look forward to, and definitely something that will keep fans busy until the second half of the final season airs. Some people are probably even happy about this long break, because they don't want Galactica to end so quickly. I know I am.

redhawk100

[14]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 6
    Its gonna feel kinda strange with the Caprica TV movie airing this fall and we still dont know the ending of the original series. Im OK with waiting like ive mentioned in another thread. As long as the final product is good and not rushed I can wait a year.

Btw..why did they choose to air episode 10 as the last episode for this year and not episode 11 which was supposed to be the ending if the strike lasted longer? IS it because episode 10 has a cliffhanger in it ?

Idbeolderifiwas

[15]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 20
    redhawk100 wrote:
    Its gonna feel kinda strange with the Caprica TV movie airing this fall and we still dont know the ending of the original series. Im OK with waiting like ive mentioned in another thread. As long as the final product is good and not rushed I can wait a year.

Btw..why did they choose to air episode 10 as the last episode for this year and not episode 11 which was supposed to be the ending if the strike lasted longer? IS it because episode 10 has a cliffhanger in it ?

If it had only been 11 episodes this season I'm sure the season would have been a lot different than it has been so far.

h00plah

[16]Jun 8, 2008
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    redhawk100 wrote:

If it had only been 11 episodes this season I'm sure the season would have been a lot different than it has been so far.

Yeah, that's completely true. There would have been TONS of things left out because of the certain amount of time they would have to complete the show. It just wouldn't have been the same, and would have seemed extremely rushed.

nomatic11

[17]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 3

I find that waiting another 7 months insulting to the viewers to say the least. Furthermore, everyone is assuming it is back on in January.. I believe it will come back in mid-April again. You can ask HBO how Sopranos faired after their long hiatus's. Viewership significantly dropped and by the time the finale came around, few were watching. Go ask ABC how Lost faired after their hiatus. The viewers never returned. CBS abused Jericho so bad that it killed the series. Fox is abusing their viewers by dragging out the returns and finale shows to an unbearable end (then run out of time and the DVRs in America cut off at seconds before the announcement). They have lost millions this year in viewers and are retooling the format because people are burned out with it. DS9 was kicked around so much on Spike recently that it was unwatchable.

I for one am sick of networks abusing their fans. SciFi knows that BSG is their cash cow. Realize this SciFi, you treat the viewers poorly now, you won't have viewers in your future series. Why on earth would anyone start to watch another series on their pitiful network? As soon as it becomes profitable, they will drag it out like mollasses in the deep of winter.

Others say, what's the big deal? The series airs from Jan to May then comes back in Jan. Yeah, that's 20+ episodes. We started in mid-April and were told that this would be a "Season" of non-stop episodes. I guess a season now constitutes 2 years. And, don't give me the crap about the writers strike. They are using that as a crutch. They could go on hiatus for a month and start airing episode 11 while the tail end is being finished editing. I hope this blows up in SciFis face and the final 10 episodes are spoiled by Internet leaks. Think of the hundreds of people involved in the production and all it takes is one upset person to spoil the show.

Like all the other sheep here, I will watch the finale, then SciFi, you can bug off. Caprica is DOA. BSG fans will turn away in droves, you watch.

redjacket3827

[18]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 4

I'm in 100% agreement with you. There is no excuse for making us wait until 2009, and I can't believe people on this board don't have a problem with it. Part of the problem with this re-imaged BSG has been the long waits between seasons. Most shows run Sept to May and then take a 3 month break. This show seems to run Jan to June and then takes a YEAR off! Totally unacceptable.

Besides, this is supposed to be the last season of BSG, so why would they not air the remaining episodes in Sept to Dec. They are right now finishing up the final epsiode as we speak.

As for Caprica, I'm not interested in it, and I'd say most BSG fans aren't either.

123home123

[19]Jun 8, 2008
    How do you know that (re Caprica)? Did you take a poll? I think most fans seem to be at least moderately interested in it. At least they will watch the TV movie and see what it's all about.

As for the long hiatus, what can you do? Complaining about it doesn't change anything. You can watch or not. I sort of welcome the break (well, maybe not a 12-month break) because it takes a bit of work to keep up with the show. Even if I weren't busy with maintaining the guide, keeping an eye on the forum and processing submissions, it still takes a lot of concentration to follow what's going on from week to week. I would prefer that Sci Fi break up the season halves further. Maybe 4 episodes in a row and then a 1-week break. Then another 3 episodes and a 1-week break. Then then the last 3 episodes of the half-season.

Though long breaks have hurt Lost and other shows, it doesn't seem to have hurt BSG. The audience numbers have increased this season. Hopefully all the promotion we've all been doing on TV.com has helped to raise interest in the show. But no matter what the reason, the fact is that more people are watching this season than were watching last year.

hazelnut144

[20]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 8
    I think that very few fans will ditch it during the hiatus. While I believe I have yet to find someone HAPPY with this long of a hiatus, most people will survive as long as we get it back for the finale. And knowing BSG, it is going to be a horrible cliffhanger at the end of the midseason. People will want to come back and see what it's about. As for Caprica, I know that I, for one, will at least check it out. And from what I have heard on this forum, a lot of fans are at least planning to give it a chance.