Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

2009 for the rest of the series you gotta be frakin' kidding me!!

ferretzor

[21]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 12
    In any case, the network should certainly be questioned for it's decision to draw it out when the episodes will blatently be ready to air in the fall. Airing 20 episodes over a 2 year span is a joke, in all honesty.
    Edited on 06/08/2008 12:12pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vystral

[22]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 6
    ferretzor wrote:
    In any case, the network should certainly be questioned for it's decision to draw it out when the episodes will blatently be ready to air in the fall. Airing 20 episodes over a 2 year span is a joke, in all honesty.

Definitely. They should just finish it up in the fall, not next year.

h00plah

[23]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 10

I don't really think the decision made on the amount of time in between the two parts of the season were completely up to SciFi, SkyOne, Space, etc. It has to do with the availability for cast, because people want to take a break from creating episodes, so they do. They take a month or two, then filming resumes, following that the episodes are cut, modified and enhanced and prepared to be aired some months later.

For those who think Caprica will be a waste of time, It won't be. SciFi won't air it unless it's worthy of becoming a bigger, better series. Believe me, they will not air some load of crap just because they have an open time slot. They don't want to lose viewers over a bad Miniseries. I had my doubts about Caprica, but thinking back: I had no reason to. We've gotten very little information on the show, so it's way too early to say "screw this" to watching the miniseries/pilot. Just be happy with what's being given to us in this long break.

I don't like the fact that there's going to be a huge break (not that huge when you think about it, actually) in between the first and second halves of the show. But there's nothing we can do about it. Be happy with what's coming up, and be patient for the rest of the series to air. Next week's episode looks exciting, and it seems a lot of questions will be answered. There's going to be plenty of discussion/speculation after next weeks episode to last months.

Nuff' Said.

Edited on 06/08/2008 3:25pm

tribalchic

[24]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 17
    nomatic11 wrote:

I find that waiting another 7 months insulting to the viewers to say the least. Furthermore, everyone is assuming it is back on in January.. I believe it will come back in mid-April again. You can ask HBO how Sopranos faired after their long hiatus's. Viewership significantly dropped and by the time the finale came around, few were watching. Go ask ABC how Lost faired after their hiatus. The viewers never returned. CBS abused Jericho so bad that it killed the series. Fox is abusing their viewers by dragging out the returns and finale shows to an unbearable end (then run out of time and the DVRs in America cut off at seconds before the announcement). They have lost millions this year in viewers and are retooling the format because people are burned out with it. DS9 was kicked around so much on Spike recently that it was unwatchable.

I for one am sick of networks abusing their fans. SciFi knows that BSG is their cash cow. Realize this SciFi, you treat the viewers poorly now, you won't have viewers in your future series. Why on earth would anyone start to watch another series on their pitiful network? As soon as it becomes profitable, they will drag it out like mollasses in the deep of winter.

Others say, what's the big deal? The series airs from Jan to May then comes back in Jan. Yeah, that's 20+ episodes. We started in mid-April and were told that this would be a "Season" of non-stop episodes. I guess a season now constitutes 2 years. And, don't give me the crap about the writers strike. They are using that as a crutch. They could go on hiatus for a month and start airing episode 11 while the tail end is being finished editing. I hope this blows up in SciFis face and the final 10 episodes are spoiled by Internet leaks. Think of the hundreds of people involved in the production and all it takes is one upset person to spoil the show.

Like all the other sheep here, I will watch the finale, then SciFi, you can bug off. Caprica is DOA. BSG fans will turn away in droves, you watch.

I have to more or less agree with this angry poster!

and im not to exited about Caprica because she's the only one returning. Atleast when Angel became a spin-off they recruited alot of former characters from buffy to give it that sence of familiarity.With only one character returning I feel its gonna be alot less interesting and more like the failed Joey spinoff of Friends.

ekleven

[25]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 3
    Except that BSG is a great show, and Friends is not...

But I must say, the hiatus battles only mariokart in terms of annoyingness.
    Edited on 06/08/2008 6:23pm

Idbeolderifiwas

[26]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 20
    tribalchic wrote:
    have to more or less agree with this angry poster!

and im not to exited about Caprica because she's the only one returning. Atleast when Angel became a spin-off they recruited alot of former characters from buffy to give it that sence of familiarity.With only one character returning I feel its gonna be alot less interesting and more like the failed Joey spinoff of Friends.

Bwah? Caprica Six isn't going to be in Caprica. The show is named Caprica because it's set on Caprica the planet not because it's about Caprica the Cylon.

my1sunshine

[27]Jun 9, 2008
    You know, with most arguments against the series, I maintain a "watch it or not" policy...but not with this one. If I invest time in the week to watch a show, that buys me the right to complain. Blaming the wait until next January (or later) on the strike is ridiculous, plain and simple. Is there a legitimate reason? Frak, yeah. BUT..The writers strike IS a crutch. Okay, it justifies a wait..perhaps until Fall... but not until next year. It even goes deeper than just fall ratings issue, as suggested by our editor. Will people turn away? No. But do they have a right to moan and complain. Uh, ...yeah! Yeah, veiwers WILL tune in, including myself..because the last one before the break will be the cliffhanger of all cliffhangers, and everyone will want to know what happens. But don't kid yourself that it has ANYTHING to do with the writer's strike. It doesn't. It's about smart business, money, increasing viewership and ratings. Strategicaly, it's a very smart decision. After the mid season cliffhanger, the boards will be a-buzzin, fans will be turning their friends on, leading to massive marathons and plenty of time to catch new veiwers up, leading to a buildup in viewership, and a ratings bonanza when it comes back. I feel the cliffhanger will also feed new interest in Caprica..there's bound to be threads in the mid season finale that will tie in to Caprica's formula as far as the pilot movie goes..virtually gaurenteeing it will be bought as a series. There's also the Season 4.0 set that's bound to come out ( you just watch that one happen), not to mention the unrated DVD's that will come out of any new movies during the break (a la Razor), and this will probably include a caprica DVD too. and all this probably includes a full, all season boxset (plus movies and extras) that you just KNOW weill be THE Christmas 2009 gift to end all gifts. All in all, this makes BSG THE cash cow for the next two years. So, yeah, from a business standpoint, it's a BRILLIANT decision. But what is the real insult to viewers, is blaming the strike. That has nothing to do with it. It doesn't take a crystal ball to see what's going on. And i really can't blame them for going that way. BUT...as a viewer, I do feel taken advantage of. But I'll still be there with bells on in 2009.
    Edited on 06/09/2008 9:23am

iamralphiam

[28]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 6
    internet leaks pls

tribalchic

[29]Jun 9, 2008
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:
    have to more or less agree with this angry poster!

Bwah? Caprica Six isn't going to be in Caprica. The show is named Caprica because it's set on Caprica the planet not because it's about Caprica the Cylon.

are you being serious? if so, then it would make it the failed Port Charles spinoff of General Hospital.

Although im almost certain its about Helfer's character, why else would she sign on?

123home123

[30]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 55
    The main characters, at this point, are Joseph Adama and maybe Daniel Graystone. I think Tricia Helfer has signed onto a pilot for a network show, not a Sci Fi show. I don't know whether she'll appear in Caprica but I don't think the focus will be on her.

As for the strike being a crutch, no it isn't a crutch. Neither is it the sole reason for the likely 2009 air date for Season 4.5. Sci Fi was already considering a 2009 air date before the strike but they were on the fence. The strike helped to seal the deal for 2009. The strike means that it would be very difficult to have everything ready for the fall, and Sci Fi found out that BSG doesn't do as well in the fall. So that leaves 2009.

Sci Fi is also concerned about the cost accounting. Pushing the last 10 episodes to next year means that they can push those costs back too. Viewers of Flash Gordon saw the effect that BSG's expenses have on other Sci Fi shows. The Dresden Files and Painkiller Jane also seemed to be filmed on a very slim budget. These are very real and ver significant considerations. I'd rather have the delay than a severely slashed budget for BSG. Based on the episodes so far this season, I'd say that Sci Fi has actually increased the budget for this season's episodes.

There's more to this issue than some people in a backroom somewhere in NY planning on how to fleece viewers to the maximum extent possible. Is Sci Fi in it to make a profit? Of course they are. But they have shown that they are taking great care to see that BSG is getting the proper financial support, even if it means skimping on the budget for their newer shows.
    Edited on 06/09/2008 3:23pm

tribalchic

[31]Jun 9, 2008

123home123 wrote:
    The main characters, at this point, are Joseph Adama and maybe Daniel Graystone. I think Tricia Helfer has signed onto a pilot for a network show, not a Sci Fi show. I don't know whether she'll appear in Caprica but I don't think the focus will be on her.

I honestly didn't know that. That does raise my hopes a little.

any idea on when its taking place, before or after the attack?

123home123

[32]Jun 9, 2008
    Caprica is supposed to take place before the Cylons have really been created. Or at least the technology is very new. William Adama will also be in the TV movie but only as a young boy.

BaouShotaruga

[33]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 5
    BSG is very different from Lost and Jericho. Mind you, I'm simply taking your word that they've suffered, as I don't watch those, but let's not digress.

Battlestar, along with most Sci-Fi channel shows, are niche shows. This is the reason for their abnormal schedule (so as to avoid sweeps). As such, we (the fans) are more of a cult following than those that watch mainstream shows, and while we're just as prone to disappointment and anger, we're less likely to allow this to wane our devotion to the shows that really cater to our less mainstream tastes.

We'll moan and complain and watch the reruns, but in the end, we'll sure as frak tune in the minute the season premier airs.

nomatic11

[34]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 3

You hit the nail on the head.

It boils down to money and how much SciFi believes they can profit from us the viewers. From a business model point of view, we as viewers are customers. As such, our happiness and their profits are contingent on the service they provide us. If we are happy, we watch the show and they make money on ads and tie-ins. As previously said, their actions are insulting. I as a customer (viewer) will choose NOT to use their services in the future when new products (Caprica) will be offered. You as another customer (viewer) will have a different opinion, and that is the magic of the free market. If enough people agree their service is poor, they will stop offering the product. It's as simple as that. Bear in mind, as someone else said, this is a cult following and the people on this and other forums will tend to favor SciFi, while mainstream Americana with busy schedules will probably be less inclined to jump through hoops trying to remember what happened before the hiatus.

Incidentally, ratings are only slightly up this year to just over 2 million. Out of the population of the US, that represents less than 0.7%. Their customer base is exceptionally small and you would think they would not want to upset that.

my1sunshine

[35]Jun 9, 2008
    Exactly. I've already conceded the decision they made, and the logic behind it, but don't continue to say it's the strike and fall schedualing. I'm not trying to flame, or keep up an argument here, so let's not make this something that it isn't. This is an honest debate with obvious difference of opinion which we're all entitled to. But let's say that we all pretty much agree that BY the fall, they'll have at least five of the remaining ten episodes in the can, ready to role, right? Add to that that we can pretty much agree that whatever this week's cliffhanger is..it'll bring us back wether in the fall or next January. So, with all due respect, how will viewership suffer if it's in the fall, or in January? This isn't just ANY season, we're talking about the FINAL season of the show that everybody's dying to know how it ends. So, I just can't see the "BSG dosen't do well in the fall" argument working here. I'll stop there, except to say that, I didn't say there's not more to it than money, but I won't have my intelligence duped into thinking that my above explaination isn't the one that makes the most sense. You guys have the floor. I don't want to get into trouble here. I'm just stating my opinion.

my1sunshine

[36]Jun 9, 2008
    As to the budget scenero, and the difference it makes in January, I don't know enough about that to make an argument about.

123home123

[37]Jun 9, 2008
    Well, it's kind of pointless to argue about facts. The fact is that BSG's viewership dropped markedly when Sci Fi tried to air episodes in the fall. I don't know how else to put it. Those were the numbers and that's the reality. You can choose to "believe" it or not, but that doesn't change the fact that the numbers dropped.

The numbers recovered somewhat the next January. Then they went up again with this spring's episodes. Those are hard numbers, not opinion. We can always discuss opinions but I don't really see why we are arguing about the facts? I'm not saying I'm happy about the long hiatus but the reality is that fall episodes probably won't work budget-wise.

The matter about the expenses getting pushed back to 2009 is a bit complicated, but it's important. You have to be familiar with accounting, at least the way that companies account for profits and losses, revenue and expenses. With most individuals, we account for revenue and expense at the time we receive the money ("cash basis" accounting). Thus, if I work in Sept. 2008 and get paid in Sept. 2008, then I would count that money on my 2008 tax return. If I work in Dec. 2008 and get paid in Jan. 2009, I would count that money on my 2009 tax return.

Companies usually account for revenue and expenses differently. An example I used on a previous thread was the concept of goodwill. When a company buys another company, they usually pay more than the stock is trading at. So if the total value of the stock is, say, $50 million and the purchaser pays $75 million, that is $25 million more than the current market value of the purchased company. That extra $25 million is called "goodwill." If the combined company later goes in the tank and becomes less valuable, the value of the "goodwill" goes down. Suppose the stock of the combined company decreases by $25 million a couple years later. That means that the $25 million was wasted and the goodwill is gone. The combined company will then record a loss on their books in that later year. Thus, they are recording a loss in, say, 2009 when they actually paid all that money in 2006 or 2007.

You don't have to understand all of that. The basic idea is that a company can list expenses much later than the time that they actually spend the money. It's a little strange if you're not familiar with accounting, but it's commonly done. I don't know the details about the Sci Fi Channel's operations but one of their executives spoke about this cost shifting issue a while back. Apparently it makes a big difference whether or not those final 10 episodes air in 2008 or in 2009. Since BSG is the most expensive show on the channel, this is not a small matter. If the advertising revenue was low while the costs were high, those 10 episodes could put the channel into some financial difficulty. Thus, a primary reason why a fall schedule would not be a very good idea at all.

The bottom line is that ad revenue would be lower in the fall because of the lower ratings. The costs would be applied in 2008 and it could cause a bit of a financial mess for the channel. If they move the episodes to the spring, the ad revenue will probably be higher and the cost can be shifted to 2009, decreasing the risk for the channel. Sci Fi can air less expensive series during the fall like the reality shows: Ghost Hunters, Scare Tactics (which is being revived after 4 years), and so on.

I'm sure I didn't get all of this correct but I don't have all the facts and numbers. But I do know that one of the Sci Fi execs seemed to be worried about this.
    Edited on 06/09/2008 8:11pm

my1sunshine

[38]Jun 9, 2008
    Thank you for taking the time to explain all that, seriously. I guess I understand a little better how that kind of budgeting works. I still can't really see the numbers dropping..or them expecting them to drop in the same way..when it's the final, most anticipated season we're talking about. I doubt the same rules would apply, but oookay. As for the other matter, hey...I'm just steamed about this whole waiting thing. The waiting game, going on for two years..is just getting old, that's all. The point is..I'll still be there with everybody else. I just don't think I'll have any teeth left in the meantime from gritting them for six months!
    Edited on 06/09/2008 8:24pm

Idbeolderifiwas

[39]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 20
    About this budget thing, does the fact that the final 10 episodes are airing in 2009 mean that they will be using 2 years of their normal budget on them? By that I mean, will all of the episodes airing this year be the only ones added to the 2008 budget, and the other unaired episodes will be the 2009 budget? Because they would essentially be getting 2 years of budget for 1 season, if that were the case. It would certainly explain why the Effects have been so fantastically done compared to the previous seasons, because they would essentially have double the money needed to pay for effects.

oz_island

[40]Jun 10, 2008
    I for one don't mind the wait. BSG has been one of the highest quality shows on the air the last 4 years, and if I have to wait a while for the end of it that's what I'll do.