Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

2009 for the rest of the series you gotta be frakin' kidding me!!

hazelnut144

[41]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 8
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    About this budget thing, does the fact that the final 10 episodes are airing in 2009 mean that they will be using 2 years of their normal budget on them? By that I mean, will all of the episodes airing this year be the only ones added to the 2008 budget, and the other unaired episodes will be the 2009 budget? Because they would essentially be getting 2 years of budget for 1 season, if that were the case. It would certainly explain why the Effects have been so fantastically done compared to the previous seasons, because they would essentially have double the money needed to pay for effects.

If that's true, then it makes it somewhat less agonizing having to wait. Knowing that they have a bit more in terms of finances, will mean that it can get even more amazing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[42]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 20
    hazelnut144 wrote:
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    About this budget thing, does the fact that the final 10 episodes are airing in 2009 mean that they will be using 2 years of their normal budget on them? By that I mean, will all of the episodes airing this year be the only ones added to the 2008 budget, and the other unaired episodes will be the 2009 budget? Because they would essentially be getting 2 years of budget for 1 season, if that were the case. It would certainly explain why the Effects have been so fantastically done compared to the previous seasons, because they would essentially have double the money needed to pay for effects.

If that's true, then it makes it somewhat less agonizing having to wait. Knowing that they have a bit more in terms of finances, will mean that it can get even more amazing.

Keep in mind that I am not stating that as a fact. I was just wondering if this were the case, because I have noticed a huge difference between the Visual effects of this season versus those of the previous ones.

123home123

[43]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 56
    No, I don't think it means they get twice the money they would otherwise. I think the issue is that the Sci Fi Channel spends so much on BSG that it's difficult to expense all those costs in a single fiscal year. I don't have a handle on exactly what's going on, but I have a vague idea. Maybe the company (NBC Universal) doesn't make much on the broadcasts but earns a profit after the DVD sales are factored in. However, Sci Fi clearly spends a lot more money on BSG than on most of its other shows.

If all of Season 4 aired in 2008, all of the costs would have to be counted in 2008. The channel may not break even on the broadcasts while the DVDs wouldn't be released until 2009. This means that the Sci Fi Channel could be looking at a significant loss in 2008 because of BSG, even though they would eventually make the money back in 2009 on DVD sales.

Sci Fi Channel is a unit of NBC Universal. Most large corporations don't release financial numbers for individual subsidiaries so it's impossible for an outsider to tell if that subsidiary is profitable or not. This is true even though the parent company is required to release overall financial details (if they are a public company that sells stock to the general public). Thus, none of us would ever know how profitable the Sci Fi Channel is. But you can be sure that the executives at NBC Universal keep track of whether or not the Sci Fi Channel unit is profitable. Any company that wants to stay in business wants each of its individual units to be independently profitable. Otherwise, why keep that unit? (There could be an exception if the subsidiary offers some kind of strategic advantage for the parent company.)

The Sci Fi Channel executives are under pressure to produce good financial numbers for their NBC Universal bosses. I suspect that the delayed profit (from DVD sales) for the show and the significant expenditures (for the Sci Fi Channel) on BSG mean that the entire channel could take a sizable hit without any DVD sales in 2008.

Now you could point out that the DVD sales are handled by a different unit of NBC Universal, and you would be correct. But this just complicates matters even further, and I'm sure I've confused or bored many (most?) of you with all of this. The takeaway message is that the cost shifting issue is important but we don't know all the details. I'm basing this on the public statements of the Sci Fi Channel executive this past winter.
    Edited on 06/10/2008 6:54pm

redjacket3827

[44]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 4

123home123, you arguments use both logic and reason, unfortunately, Sci-Fi uses neither. The problem with Sci-Fi is that they didn't know how to handle a successful show, and it shows. Breaks between seasons got longer and longer, they tried going from serial to episodic episodes, and in the end the ratings suffered. About the only people left watching BSG are us die-hard core fans, which is why I don't think the ratings matter (we are going to watch anyway and no new viewers are going to tune in).

As for Caprica, I'm done with BSG. It is a good show but once it's over it's time for me to move on. And I'm most definitely done with the Sci-Fi channel, as they've shown they don't know how to deal with loyal customers.

hazelnut144

[45]Jun 11, 2008
    Thanks 123Home123...that makes more sense now. Whatever the reasoning, I don't think very many people are going to be happy about 2009, but at least that explanation makes partial sense.

123home123

[46]Jun 11, 2008
    The year-long break (Apr. 2007 to Mar. 2008) was mystifying to me but maybe cost shifting played a part in that decision too.

I guess scheduling decisions don't bother me as much as creative meddling. Statements from the producers seem to alternate between happiness about the creative freedom granted, to vague statements that Sci Fi Channel wanted more stand-alone episodes in the 2nd half of Season 2 and Season 3. I think studio interference was behind the decision to make more of those stand-alone episodes in the back half of each of those seasons.

On the other hand, the Sci Fi Channel let the writers get away with most of the controversial material that they wanted to add, such as the attempted sexual assault in Season 2 and the near nudity in the Razor Flashbacks that aired on the Sci Fi Channel last fall. Certainly after seeing the many scenes of sensuality (Caprica Six, Tory, Caprica Sharon-Athena) and the scenes of brutal violence, the producers and writers have been relatively free to explore some pretty dark territory on the show. That's why I'm really glad that this is a cable show, not a network show. BSG would really have suffered creatively if it had aired as a regular NBC show.
    Edited on 06/11/2008 10:06pm

kokonut1971

[47]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 3

To me there is no logic at all on saying that fall would be bad for galactica. On season 3 people knew that it was season 3 and that there was gonna be a final fourth season. so even if you missed some shows it was no a big deal because people knew the meat of the whole story was gonna be this year that is probably why the ratings went down.

I for one would find it extremely reasonable for the episodes to start in the fall again.

http://www.patriotresource.com/bg/insights/spoilers/season4.html

If you go on this site there is a list of the shooting schedule and it blatantly shows that some of the episodes are basically shot. Mind you this might be false info but what i read so far on the site matches a lot of what has been going on as far as spoilers for the show i read about. So this site does claim that most of the show are actually done i believe them.

And i concur that they could even start again and finish the end while the start of the "4.5 season begins"

It is kinda insulting to the brain to see hollywood politics and BS run the show. Does Sci Fi honestly think that by doing this they would walk out a winner?

The only hypothesis that would make sense is that they would like to launch Caprica while people are still waiting for the rest of BSG to hook them up on the new series.

I call this a crotch, and if this is the way they wanna go with this, i guess they have absolutely no confidence at all that Caprica would stand on it's own 2 feet if BFG was finished.

Just to show you that suits are not the brightest people of the world even though they look the part...

peace

Idbeolderifiwas

[48]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 20
    The episodes may be "shot" but that by no means at all means that they are ready to air. They still have to be edited, and the CGI has to be done for them. I'm not trying to justify taking such a long break, but I'm pretty tired of people thinking that the episodes are ready to Air.

123home123

[49]Jun 13, 2008
    We already know that most of the episodes have been shot. This is not news. They should be finishing up the final episodes sometime this month. However, there is extensive post-production work that needs to be done. That means the special visual effects, audio dubs and effects, and the music. The first episodes of the "final 10" would probably be ready by September, but not the entire set.

At the end of tonight's mid-season finale, the promo said that the final episodes were "COMING SOON." At least this time they didn't say next year like they did in March 2007. At that time, the promo for Season 4 said "Coming in 2008."

kokonut1971

[50]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 3

well last week it said 2009..

Now coming soon? unfortunately i did not see that coming soon part, i guess space canned that part out.

mmmmm...makes you wonder if they might be considering earlier than they anticipated because people are clamoring now...

What special effects?!..in reply to the spfx not ready..to be honest i think this is the season that had the least space scenes so far so in all honesty i do not think it hinders the production. Plus i am sure that they do have better software and hardware to make the fx work go even faster...it is not like rendering a spfx frame per 6 hours like it used to be. Most of the sets are done or were already done from previous seasons...

To me simply there is no excuse for the wait...

123home123

[51]Jun 13, 2008
    There have been quite a few space battles this season. I'm not sure what you have been watching but we've seen extensive battles in many episodes including "The Hub" and that extremely lengthy battle in "He That Believeth in Me."

BattlestarQ

[52]Jun 13, 2008

ok still the point of this thread is we gotta wait till 2009? Why???

12/2003 The 2 part Miniseries airs

1/2005 Season 1 starts 13 episodes air and ends 4/2005

7/2005 season 2.0 starts 10 episodes air and ends 9/2005

1/2006 season 2.5 starts 10 episodes air and ends 3/2006

10/2006 season 3 starts 20 episodes air and ends 3/2007

4/2008 season 4.0 starts 10 episodes air and ends 6/2008

?/2009 season 4.5

Is there a pattern here? We get the miniseries teaser and I was going stir crazy for a 10 months searching posting blogs praying for a series and hear they are doing the series yippiee. and for the first season we get a whole 13 episodes 3 months off season 2.0 10 more episodes 3 more months till season 2.5 and another 10 eps and then 5 months till seson 3 starts and runs for 20 episodes and in the year that follow we learn that season 4 is the final season. and 1 year after season 3 ends 4 begins and now we gotta wait till 2009 for the remainder of the series??? Life aint fair as we know it. and like another poster said earlier in this thread what if he dies between now and the long awaited revelation of the final unknown cylon? I love this series I hate the wait!!!

123home123

[53]Jun 13, 2008
    The president of the Sci Fi Channel stated this week that the last 10 episodes will begin airing in the 1st quarter of 2009. So it will indeed be 2009, but it will be Jan., Feb. or Mar., not late spring or summer.

On the other hand, there is some additional good news. See the other thread for details.

Qdog23

[54]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 1

123home123 wrote:
    The president of the Sci Fi Channel stated this week that the last 10 episodes will begin airing in the 1st quarter of 2009. So it will indeed be 2009, but it will be Jan., Feb. or Mar., not late spring or summer. On the other hand, there is some additional good news. See the other thread for details.

For someone who seems to know alot more about accounting then me, some things slip your mind If the president stated they would begin the first quarter of next year, the fiscal quarter actually starts in april, not jan. So the earliest we will be seeing our beloved BSG is APR 2009. So you may want to edited your other s4 info thread.

And believe me, when a company man says first quarter, he 100% means first fiscal quarter.

my1sunshine

[55]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    Actually, isn't the first quarter FROM Jan, TO April...the first four months. So it would be anywhere within that time span, right? I could be wrong.

123home123

[56]Jun 19, 2008
    Well, it depends. Many companies have a fiscal year that starts in October or in April. Usually retail companies do this because Dec. 31 is an awkward date to end a year financially. The biggest sales season for many companies is November and December. Sales may trickle over into January and the companies also have to deal with returned goods and so on. Thus, they like to keep that entire time period in the same fiscal year.

I don't know what the fiscal year for the Sci Fi Channel and NBC Universal is but I'll assume for the sake of this discussion that they do begin their fiscal year in April. However, that doesn't have to mean the Sci Fi president was talking about an April start date. Think about the audience here. He was talking to the television press when he made that statement, not to the investment analysts. I think it's unlikely that he would be talking about fiscal quarters when meeting with TV reporters.

Am I 100% certain of this? No, but it doesn't make sense that he would be in "investor relations" mode during a TV-related interview.
    Edited on 06/19/2008 8:59pm

tripping82

[57]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    NBC and Sci-Fi channel end their Fiscal year on December 31st (hoovers.com). I think it makes more sense by having the series air during their first quarter. Then they can release the DVD's in the 3rd or 4th quarter to boost sales if they need 'em.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 10:10am
    Edited 2 total times.