Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

An exclusive INTERVIEW with STEPHANIE JACOBSEN, the star of "Razor"!

123home123

[1]Nov 23, 2007
    • level: 55
    Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen, one of the stars of "Battlestar Galactica: Razor," recently agreed to answer some questions about her personal background and her experiences on the set of our favorite show.

[NOTE: This is an exclusive interview for the TV.com guide. It is not a reprint of the conference call transcript posted on other sites. The interview may contain mild spoilers for "Razor."]

123: Hi Stephanie. I'd like to thank you for agreeing to this interview. I'm excited to be interviewing one of the stars of "Battlestar Galactica: Razor" for the TV.com guide. ["Razor" is set to air in the U.S. on the Sci Fi Channel on Sat., Nov. 24 at 9 PM.]

The preliminary reviews for "Razor" and for your performance as Kendra Shaw have been excellent. One writer at E! Online called you a "star of tomorrow."

PERSONAL BACKGROUND

123: I've seen your name listed as Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen and also Stephanie Jacobsen. Which do you prefer?

Stephanie: I added Chaves to my name as a gesture of sentiment when I was working on Home & Away - it's my mother's maiden name and my grandmother lives in England, where the show airs.

123: I read that your family moved to Australia while you were still in school. Can you speak a little bit about your ethnic heritage, if it's not too personal? (I'm of Korean heritage myself so I'm always interested in finding out about similar stories.)

Stephanie: My father is half Chinese, a quarter English and a quarter Norwegian (approximately), and my mother's family is primarily Portuguese.

123: You wanted to finish your university degree before going into acting, correct? Were you considering any other careers while you were at the University of Sydney?

Stephanie: I considered a multitude of other careers, but I always intended to be an actor.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: RAZOR

123: How did you first find out about the BSG role of Kendra Shaw?

Stephanie: My agent in Sydney got a call after I'd done a few auditions for another project during pilot season. They sent the sides over and asked me to go on tape.

123: What was the audition like?

Stephanie: I got to put down the audition scenes in an environment I was comfortable in, with my best friend - who (conveniently) happens to be a brilliant actor - reading opposite me. So it was absolutely fine.

123: How many days were you on the set for the filming of "Razor"? What was it like to be "the new kid in town"?

Stephanie: I was in Vancouver filming "Razor" for about a month, and I was on set virtually every day. I guess it could've been a harrowing experience - negotiating the character, an unfamiliar environment and a bunch of new people, all simultaneously and without a lot of time to prepare - but because of the professionalism and generosity the production seems to breed, it was actually really lovely.

123: What was it like to work with Katee Sackhoff, Michelle Forbes and Jamie Bamber?

Stephanie: It was a pleasure to work with each and all of them. Michelle is a powerhouse of a performer but she is also a very kind, accommodating person. Jamie and Katee are great actors, great people and great fun - I don't know if they went out of their way to do it or if it's just in their natures, but they really made me feel at home.

123: Any thoughts about Kendra Shaw and her dark side? In one promo photo, she can be seen injecting what is presumably some type of drug. How did you prepare for the role?

Stephanie: There was more acceptance than preparation involved in playing Kendra. I actually never perceived her as "dark". To me she was exceptionally decisive and functional: she was all about getting the job done, and getting it done succinctly. The drugs were just how she functioned for a while.

123: Thank you again, Stephanie, for taking the time to provide insights into the creative process of the show. We're all looking forward to seeing your portrayal of Kendra Shaw in "Razor." Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, and good luck with all your future endeavors.
    Edited on 12/15/2007 11:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.