Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Answering Loose Ends

psychickiller

[1]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 9

Hey guys, just finished boot camp and decided to catch up asap... That means watching entire Daybreak. I suppose the forum regulars know me already as a big fan of BSG, and you know I'm not just trolling.

I've watched Daybreak as a whole, over 2+ hours. The first part of the finale prepares very well for the big showdown, with the second part getting right on buisness very quickly. The action was amazing! Just like I expected, an amazing epic battle with beautiful graphics. I enjoyed every moment of it, reaching up to the climax of Kara and 'All Along The Watchtower' in the background.

And then... Seriously, I'm just sad. 30 minutes of the back of my mind repeating the phrase 'WTF'. I had a hard time figuring which way the wind was going in the forum, but I just have to express my thoughts and hopefuly know it wasn't just me.

The loose ends were handled in a very, VERY bad way. I'm still not sure I wasn't watching some fake minutes someone made up. What the hell is that poor cliche of settling OUR Earth in the past? 38 thousand people spread all over the planet without anything... Not very convincing, despite everything they have been through. "We were surprised everyone agreed" and so was I. Everyone getting a happy ending, Roslin reaching the promised land (Prophecies these days... Just so unbelieveable)... Where's the dark and sad theme of BSG? Did it go on a tour abroad without telling anyone?

The final scene... I felt like a fool. It made the series look like a fool. I mean, COME ON! You're ruining the whole concept of a far away universe, either in distance or time... Hera ended up being merely making a coincidence, not a real catalyst. Kara disappearing? Why not google up the worst cliches and solutions possible, copy/paste them into our (or at least mine) favourite show and see what happens.

I don't know what else to say guys... But those 30 minutes entered my personal hall of shame.

/Written with tears

Edited on 03/28/2009 7:12am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GregoryHouse24

[2]Mar 29, 2009
    • level: 7

I think the promised land was the cabin Adama promised to build her.

And regarding the happy ending, most of the cast died on the way to earth, so why not let the few people who actually got there to have a happy ending? :p, tho i personally like dark endings over happy ones

Bionetic

[3]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 8
    I don't mind a happy ending, but I have to agree, that ending goes up on the bookshelf between The Matrix Revolutions and ? . So your not alone in your sentiment. I think even Star Trek Voyager had a better series finale. BSG did have a more complex story line, but they shouldn't have built up the story if they couldn't find an adequete way to end the story. I understand what they were trying to do, but I think the way they did it was poorly thought out. I kinda realized the story was going in a direction I didn't like sometimes after the mutiny. I noticed how the show wasn't tying up the loose ends in the last few episodes. I'm still holding out, hoping that the TV movie they have about the Cylons helps tie up those 'loose ends' alittle better.
    Edited on 04/02/2009 6:24am

drunkboris

[4]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 2

How about this explanation: RDM is a pretentious jerk who basically took advantage of the fact that people were hooked into this show by the mystery surrounding the cylons. Then when ratings went into the crapper it dawned on him that this mystery had no rational explanation because he was making it up as he went along. So when he was forced to close out the series, he phoned it in, relegated the exaplantion to "God did it," and stretched out the season finale to two hours with pointless flashbacks, and drawn out close-ups of the main characters. What a joke. I feel so ripped off for having spent time and money renting the previous seasons and carefully keeping track of the story, only to have it conclude in such an ambiguous fashion.

Yes, creating a tangible entity to represent the "higher power" would have been cheesy, and yes, the unanswered questions reflect the way in which we view the universe and our own existence. But the presentation of the first season of BSG made you buy into the idea that there was a perfectly reasonable explanation for all the opened cans of worms. If the end all and be all of the whole thing was Deus Ex Machina, then why not admit that from the start? Why give us reason to believe that there were going to be answers?

The worst part of it wasn't even the unresolved mysteries. No, we don't know what Kara is. No, we don't know what happens to the centurions. No we don't know what the Heads truly are. But the worst part of it is how completely arbitrary some of the plot developments ended up being. For instance, why did the final 5 end up being who they were? Why THEM in particular? Why that particular song? Why did Tory kill Callie? Why did Laura's cancer return? Why was Hera so important after all? The list goes on. We all bought into the idea that there would be a good reason for all these events. And it's not as though these are age old mysteries like the Big Bang or Dark Matter. These are elements of plot in a TV show. And like in all literature, plot and character development is supposed to have a conclusion. Not to RDM though. No, his revolutionary vision transcends all of that. Ambiguity is the new prose. Bravo RDM! And with spirituality/creationism being a central theme of the show, the seemingly arbitrary nature of some events is actually a metaphor for this theme.

No folks, you've been had. As far i can tell, most of the people who have been praising the conclusion of BSG are probably in shock. They simply can't accept the fact that they've been so completely ripped off, so they try to find solace in the illusion that there is a message behind the ambiguity of the conclusion. But there is no message. Its simply a case of, "The miniseries was a hit, so lets see how much i can milk it. Then when the milk runs dry, I'll just make something up and call it a day." Thats the REAL conclusion.

drunkboris

[5]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 2
    Also, I just read a thread about ShotgunBlade's use of the word "delusional," or whatever all that is about. My post above is not meant to be derogatory, or "trolling," but i do stand by my opinion of RDM. I realize that a lot of it is purely speculative, but it's certainly a better explanation than anything in that last episode. In fact, my critique of RDM is meant to parody the lack of anything tangible in the conclusion, but at the same time provide a hint of truth (much like the the overall series). Furthermore, I know that i don't ACTUALLY speak for people who liked it when i say they are "in shock," and again, not trying to troll. I am suggesting that perhaps some people who are defending the conclusion for the fact that "it is what it is," MIGHT change their opinion if they were to step back, reflect on my arguments, and then say "Hey, wait a minute, i WAS ripped off!" Im not trying to be a downer or whatever, but i was extremely disappointed with how things ended and im simply trying to be as convincing as possible about the reasons for my disappointment.

psychickiller

[6]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    I agree... The ending felt like a rip-off :/

A well written article posted here on BSG's main page here sums things up pretty clearly:

http://www.tv.com/story/13529.html

guyroy1971

[7]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 12
    The ending was superb. The only people "delusional" are people like drunk boris who need everything explained to them. What is he talking about? the ratings "in the crapper" really? when? they were always prety consistent. Look at the reviews for the final, they are almost all positive. There are those who wanted a scientific ending that are raising hell, you are in the minority. The entire show was religous. "God hhaving a plan", the visions, Baltar healing a sick child, All along the watchtower, I can go on and on. It seems there are some sci-fi fans that try to shoehorn every show into Star Trek. This show was not star trek. Get over it already. The show was never scientific, the writers never promised a scientific resolution in season 1. The ending was completely consistent with the entire premise and themes of the show.

my1sunshine

[8]Apr 4, 2009

C'mon people. Do we have to start up more reasons to have this discussion. I understand your points guy, but we've been calming down this forum for a week after some very nasty posts last weekend. The people who liked it are NEVER going to agree with those who do. And trying to force our opinions on each other can reach flaming perportions, as we saw last weekend. There's already a discussion thread for the finale, and people are free to post differing opinions there. Why can't we just stick to that? Starting up new threads like this is going to start the whole thing over again.

Just my opinion, that's all.

sheli20

[9]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 8
    I totally agree.
    the ending was crap.

trip31

[10]Jun 8, 2009
    laura wouldn't have reached the promised land had her cancer not been cured by Baltar in season 2. As for her relapse just like real life why do some cancer sufferers relapse and some go on to live long lives?

marto_dd

[11]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 17
    The ending was my favorite episode of the whole show. It was bloody fantastic, I cried at the end. I am so happy I saw the whole show, cause otherwise I would have never seen that amazing final episode.