Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Any new sci-fi shows coming soon?

donkon

[1]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 4
    I had no idea today was the last episode of bsg, while watching the last episode my mind was shouting "Noooo Hope its not the last episode" eventually realized its the end of the line. My question is though, is there any sci-fi shows that look promising. I have watched almost every sci-fi show out there and have nothing really left. Let me know if anything is in the works. Also I heard Stargate universe, but so far it sounds like it will fail miserably.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackclown98

[2]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 10
    Well, there is "Warehouse 13" and "Caprica".

NatalieParsnip

[3]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    Hah! Donkon that's exactly what I've been wondering! They can call it SyFy or whatever the heck they like, but if there's nothing worth watching, then what's the point?

ShotgunBlade

[4]Mar 21, 2009

Flash Forward. I don't believe it will premiere until 2010 and it isn't a hard-core scifi show, but it's being pegged as ABC's possible replacement to Lost when it finishes airing. Also in development is a revival of "V: The Series". Both of these shows seem to have solid premises, not that a good premise means much as far as TV show success goes, but with a lot of luck and a good budget and good writing they could be great shows.

Another potential show is "Virtuality", created by Moore and Eick, which FOX may pickup. Sci-fi shows don't typically do well on FOX so don't hold your breath there, but if Moore brings his top ideas and writing, it could turn out well.

I don't have high hopes for Caprica. It looks like garbage to be honest.

123home123

[5]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 55
    I think only Ronald Moore will be working on "Virtuality", not David Eick.

Don't forget that even though the main BSG story is over, we still have the BSG TV movie "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan", which will air this fall. It's a look at the preparation for the Cylon attack on the Twelve Colonies from the perspective of the Cylons. Based on the trailer, it will feature Grace Park (Sharon), Tricia Helfer (Six), Aaron Douglas (Tyrol) and other regulars.

pumpkinhead2

[6]Mar 22, 2009

I am a big fan of BSG and even though I was a little let down by the final episode I feel that as a whole the series has definitely raised the bar.

As for what comes next ... Reimagined Lost in Space? Reimagined Star Trek? Reimagined Star Wars?

123home123

[7]Mar 22, 2009
    "Star Trek" is already being "reimagined", thankfully. The new Star Trek movie is taking on a different approach to the characters from the original series. It's supposed to follow Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the others as they are just starting out their careers in Starfleet (or so I've gathered from the trailer). I used to watch the original Star Trek series when I was in grade school. Lots of sci-fi action/adventure fun but that series hasn't aged so well. The later ST series updated many elements of the franchise with some successes and some misses.

The movie series kind of petered out, with the last two movies not doing well financially. Both also received lukewarm receptions among fans and critics. It's time to shake up the ST franchise. Hopefully the new movie is a successful one, both financially and creatively.

There already was a new Lost In Space movie. I didn't see it so I can't comment on it. I doubt Star Wars will be remade (unless George Lucas himself creates another "Special Edition"). Unlike the other sci-fi franchises, Star Wars blew everyone away with the visual special effects and its high-budget production values. You can't really say that about the original BSG or Star Trek series. (Yes, BSG was impressive for its time but they also reused a LOT of effects shots.) I don't see how you could remake Star Wars without going over the top on the effects budget. Otherwise, what would be the point? The original Star Wars movies are still very popular and they generally hold up well today.

Unlike many others, I didn't mind the recent Star Wars trilogy. Yes, Jar Jar was kind of annoying but I think many fans were engaging in selective recall and revisionist history when they criticized Jar Jar so vehemently. Star Wars has always had a child-friendly action/adventure element to it. I mean, what do you call the Ewoks? They were cutesy characters meant to appeal to young children and they were already around in the first trilogy. That's why the comments like "OMG, George Lucas destroyed my childhood!" ring hollow. Jar Jar was just a continuation of the child-friendly part of Star Wars, carrying on the tradition of the Ewoks and even R2D2.

ABC is doing a remake of "V". I never saw the original series. (I didn't watch much TV in those days.) It'll be interesting to see the reaction to that remake. I don't think "V" has the zealous fan base that some other sci-fi franchises have, but I could be wrong about this.

martymcflyjb

[8]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 10

123home123 wrote:
    ABC is doing a remake of "V". I never saw the original series. (I didn't watch much TV in those days.) It'll be interesting to see the reaction to that remake. I don't think "V" has the zealous fan base that some other sci-fi franchises have, but I could be wrong about this.

Who knows? I never would have expected the original BSG to have such a cult following (I'd never even heard of it, even as a sci-fi fan).

I'm looking forward to "V" as well as Caprica. I don't like the Stargate shows, so I will stay away from that new one. I also could give a rats back about these lightweight Men in Black-type shows like Eureka and now Warehouse 13.

I'm a little worried about the future of quality sci-fi beyond Lost, which will be ending in a little over a year.

ShotgunBlade

[9]Mar 26, 2009
    They are actually developing a Star Wars live action TV series, but it's not so much a reimagining as it is new story about what happened between the 3rd and 4th movie.

Kondix

[10]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 11
    Well, that is quite a lot to look foreward too:

-Caprica (maybe not the classic Sci-Fi, but still Sci-Fi, last trailer looked amazing)

-Virtuality (its RDM... I'll give it a try)

-Unnamed live action Star Wars TVshow (If you like Star Wars, then the second season of Clone Wars is coming in a few months)

-BSG: The Plan (Truccos website stated, main storyarc is during season 2 with flashbacks, back to before the fall of the 12 colonies)

-Star Trek reimagined (the first time I am really interested in any Star Trek)

-Star Gate Universe (from the trailer it looks like they are going to try and go the BSG route, dark mood, maybe a bit mor raw, and I do like Carlyle...)

123home123

[11]Mar 27, 2009
    Stargate Universe is also supposed to have a younger cast apart from Robert Carlyle, I think. (I haven't been following the news updates that closely.) I thought that most of the cast would be actors in their 20s, which is much younger than the usual star of a Stargate series. Most of the main actors in the two previous series were in their late 30s, 40s and 50s.

At first, the concept didn't sound too appealing. I thought it was going to be a cross between "Beverly Hills 90210", "Lost in Space" and "Star Trek Voyager" but if it does have a harder edge, then it could be promising.

MrBovineOrdure

[12]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 6

I'm starting to hear that plans are in the works for a second Star Trek movie. They're feeling pretty confident of the one coming in May. I am too.

I saw the Lost in space movie. While they paid the requisite homages to the old series, it could have been a bit better. Then again, the concept of building an entire star-fairing ship dedicated to just one family never seemed believable to me. Yes, it was supposed to be the first of a fleet of ships, it just seems to me a cashed-strapped government on the verge of collapse would have just made aa much larger ship with enough families to insure against reproductive inbreeding. (I heard you need at least 32 pairs of humans to insure this)

I'd love to see Time Tunnel tried again. The Fox network did a pilot episode that you can see on the classic DVDs that looked really great, but they canceled it because it was too similar to Stargate.

Currently I'm watching Smallville, Terminator TSCC, Star Trek TOS with newer effects, Heros, and Lost. Looking forward to Stargate Universe and hope that Sanctuary and Dr Who crank back up. (Though, the latter two are really just "See Once" type shows)

I've just discovered Eureka on Hulu. Very quirky and pretty cool. Too bad they don't have the second season there. Looks like they'll be coming back in June.

Mr BO