Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Are his actions warranted? (spoilers)

tribalchic

[21]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 17

xanderfi wrote:
    One of the things I find so unbelievable about all of this is the fact that Adama did his job. They found Earth. By a twist of cruel fate it turns out the earth was nuked and is uninhabitable. As we saw with D this definately has devistating consequences but this was in no way Adama's fault. The only option they have left, besides completely giving up, is to pool their resouces with the Rebel Cylons in order to survive. They have better technology. It's a simple as that. Gaeta has basically become a Racist(as we would term him) and identifies the Cylons as the target of his hate. I feel he's dead wrong for going against Adama. Survival is our most basic instinct and I find it awkward that so many would fight their instincts based on their principles. Not only that, but now Zarek and Gaeta have forced Adama's hand to make probably the most difficult decision of his career. Now he has to figure out what to do with the insurgents trying to overthrow the current government. Gaeta not only spat in the face of everything he swore to protect, but also sentenced many others to an uncertain fate, most probably death. All of that blood will be on Zarek and Gaeta's hands. Not something I would want on my conscience.

He did, but I don't think it matters to Gaeta anymore, I think he is way beyond looking at things objectively at this point and what it all boils down to is that the 'Cylons' caused this whole chain of events and if it wasn't for them, they would have never needed to look for a new home nor suffered the hardships along the way. In his mind everything that has happened (even within the fleet) over the last 4 seasons is the fault of them in one way or another, and seeing Adama chatting up Colonel Tigh like nothing ever happened makes him a "Collaborator" at this point.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[22]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 18

It's probably been said already, but the catalyst for Gaeta's actions were from the recent webisodes. It led to hm becoming VERY anti-Cylon and distrustful of everything they do. As such, the Admiral allying with them and making deals is disgustful to him.

He was stranded on a Raptor with a couple of cylons and some humans. Air is running low as they can't find their way back to the fleet.

While on the ship the survivors start dying. In the end Gaeta is left with a Cylon, it winds up being the Cylon he knew back on New Caprica. He thought she was helping free resistance members during the occupation but in fact she was using his information to capture and kill resistance members.

This information freaks him out and he kills the traitorous Cylon -- shortly afterwards he's rescued.

Upon his return to Galactica he is angry and VERY anti-Cylon; more-so than ever before. He demands to speak to Adama and won't even respect Tyrol to pass his wishes to Adama because "he's one of them."

xanderfi

[23]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 5
    tribalchic wrote:

xanderfi wrote:
    One of the things I find so unbelievable about all of this is the fact that Adama did his job. They found Earth. By a twist of cruel fate it turns out the earth was nuked and is uninhabitable. As we saw with D this definately has devistating consequences but this was in no way Adama's fault. The only option they have left, besides completely giving up, is to pool their resouces with the Rebel Cylons in order to survive. They have better technology. It's a simple as that. Gaeta has basically become a Racist(as we would term him) and identifies the Cylons as the target of his hate. I feel he's dead wrong for going against Adama. Survival is our most basic instinct and I find it awkward that so many would fight their instincts based on their principles. Not only that, but now Zarek and Gaeta have forced Adama's hand to make probably the most difficult decision of his career. Now he has to figure out what to do with the insurgents trying to overthrow the current government. Gaeta not only spat in the face of everything he swore to protect, but also sentenced many others to an uncertain fate, most probably death. All of that blood will be on Zarek and Gaeta's hands. Not something I would want on my conscience.

He did, but I don't think it matters to Gaeta anymore, I think he is way beyond looking at things objectively at this point and what it all boils down to is that the 'Cylons' caused this whole chain of events and if it wasn't for them, they would have never needed to look for a new home nor suffered the hardships along the way. In his mind everything that has happened (even within the fleet) over the last 4 seasons is the fault of them in one way or another, and seeing Adama chatting up Colonel Tigh like nothing ever happened makes him a "Collaborator" at this point.

Yeah, I suppose it's probably very easy to look at something like this objectively when you're watching a TV screen. You're probably exactly right. He probably just doesn't care anymore and people that don't care are probably the most dangerous of all, thus the mutiny and collaboration with Zarek. I don't think I could ever sympathize with his choices in any way but it makes more sense to me from that perspective. Plus, I'm just a really big fan of The Old Man and just like Tyrol said I think he deserves better along with the rest of the crew who probably died defending the ship.

Bionetic

[24]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 8

darth_mage wrote:
    If they really were going to hold the fleet hostage, as someone as suggested they might, there is no way they would have asked for representation on the Quorum. they would have just given the technology freely. not only that but the survival of both the humans and rebel cylons depends on them working together, without the FTL drives humans will die on their ships when they run out of supplies, without humans the cylons will be wide open to an attack by the rest of their race. To be honest though I've got a feeling that this rebellion is going nowhere, one of the prophecies in the scrolls or by one of the hybrids i can't remember which has said that this has all happened before and will happen again. The 13 tribes will form a new world that will become like the old Kobol, after some time they'll separate make their own Cylons again and get killed/exiled from their homes and the whole thing happens again.

Well maybe not all of them would be in on it. Characters like Tyrol and Tigh obviously wouldn't go along with it. The Cylons couldn't just come out with the plan. There are a number of uses that could benefit the cylons. I don't want to get into a bunch of hypotheticals, but for instance if they had remote control of the FTL drives they could use the fleet as bargaining chips in order to mend the division amongst the Cylons. Or if the alliance falls apart holding the fleet hostage could be used as a last resort. Yes, the alliance with the Cylons is the fleets best option right now, but it's a pretty big gamble. I mean isn't that how the war started. The Cylons lure humanity into a false sense of security, and then when they least expect it they strike hard and fast leaving their victims with barely any time to pick up the pieces.

kanniballl wrote:

It's probably been said already, but the catalyst for Gaeta's actions were from the recent webisodes. It led to hm becoming VERY anti-Cylon and distrustful of everything they do. As such, the Admiral allying with them and making deals is disgustful to him.

He was stranded on a Raptor with a couple of cylons and some humans. Air is running low as they can't find their way back to the fleet.

While on the ship the survivors start dying. In the end Gaeta is left with a Cylon, it winds up being the Cylon he knew back on New Caprica. He thought she was helping free resistance members during the occupation but in fact she was using his information to capture and kill resistance members.

This information freaks him out and he kills the traitorous Cylon -- shortly afterwards he's rescued.

Upon his return to Galactica he is angry and VERY anti-Cylon; more-so than ever before. He demands to speak to Adama and won't even respect Tyrol to pass his wishes to Adama because "he's one of them."

The question is can you trust Cylons? I mean the Cylon Gaeta was with in that webisode seemed very innocent, until we find out she isn't. Cylons are infiltrators. They gain your trust and only when you least expect it, when you think that you really know them, they turn on you. They don't plan on doing it, but if it'll benefit them don't put it past them. Isn't that what happened to Gaeta? I mean putting it into context, Adama is even ready to trust the traitors who mutinied against him. I mean forgiveness is great, but realize that that kind of blind faith gets you crucified; literally. And that pretty much looks like where the fleet is headed. I'm still just playing the devil's advocate. I would have sided with the old man too if given a choice.

Edited on 02/07/2009 9:41pm