Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Are you alive?

MrBovineOrdure

[1]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 6

If you hadn't guessed by now, things seem a little slow in this forum. Just doing homage to George Carlin and introducing a couple of brain droppings....

This was the first phrase uttered in the Miniseries. After Six got her answer a look of disappointment or perhaps a little apprehension came over her face.

First phrases in many novels have a lot of meaning. Look at "Atlas Shrugged"; "Who's John Gault?"

(A more recent version was the first sentence of "Old Man's War"; "On my 75th birthday, I did 2 things. Visit my wife's grave and then I joined the military")

I'm wondering if this has deeper meaning than just a random question. Something beyond curing her curiosity after 40 years of not talking to a human being.

Again, flights of fancy or hard facts are welcome.

Mr BO

Edited on 07/14/2008 3:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 55
    I think it's just a sign that she had never seen a living human being before. Given that the regular seasons hadn't been planned at that point, I don't think it has more significance than that.

As for the slow forum, that was to be expected. BSG requires a lot of attention and concentration so even many fans can get a little worn out after 10 episodes in 11 weeks. It's such an intense show that we sort of need breaks from time to time. Of course six months is too long a break. Maybe things will pick up here toward the end of the summer when we get the new set of webisodes in the fall or winter, and then the Caprica TV movie.

HeHateMe5

[3]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    Home,

I tried to post about Ander's tattoo/Kara's tattoo. I was curious if anyone inside or outside the show has a basic pic of the tattoo on ander's arm?

Thanks!

123home123

[4]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 55
    Check the other thread for my reply. I found a picture of the combined tattoo.

adiav

[5]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't think it's a random question, I think it's a lead-in to an underlying theme and problem of this series: What does it really mean to be alive?

How different are the humans and the Cylons (for the purposes of this post, figure I mean skin-job Cylons), really? Both murder, both love, both feel fear, both are capable of idealism and self-delusion and cruelty.

"Are you alive?", the Six asks at the beginning. The Cylons feel alive. If you cut them, do they not bleed? (I had to throw that in there, sorry.) They have emotions, they can reason, they too believe in a higher power - just a different one. They can and do question their purpose in life. Cogito ergo sum. They think, too, so therefore aren't they alive?

What is the criteria of being alive? Baltar calls Caprica Six (when she reveals herself to be a Cylon) a machine, and she refutes this, saying she is a woman. She looks like a woman, acts like a woman, feels like a woman, surely, she reasons, she is a woman. She certainly fooled him into thinking she was a woman.

Most likely, probably somewhere back in their mechanical history, the Cylons were indeed told (by humans) that they were machines, and therefore not alive. With all this reasoning and questioning that they're capable of, wouldn't that then prompt the first Cylon who came across a human in 40 years to ask them that question, in order to gauge what it means to be alive?

"Are you alive?" Is this what "alive" means? What it looks like, smells like, tastes like, feels like?

This ties back to the idea that Cylons apparently see themselves as superseding the human race - hence their desire to wipe them out, as "humanity's children are coming home". But what, really, makes them any better than humans - especially now that they can no longer resurrect? And, as Bill Adama asked in his speech at the decommissioning of the Galactica in the Mini Series, what justifies the human race's continued existence?

Ultimately, both are alive. Both are as bad and as good as each other. Neither has more right to exist than the other. This is the crux and the major problem of the show.