Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Are you going to purchase Season 4.0 on DVD January 6th?

Are you going to purchase Season 4.0 on DVD January 6th?

djariya

[1]Jan 3, 2009
    • level: 19

I have a $30 gift card for Best Buy along with an addition $5 Reward Zone Ceritificate. So I will definitely pick it up.

What about you?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jeric-Ho

[2]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 34
    Is has been released in the UK for a few months now, and i personally think it is a rip off, over here its like 40 pound! and it is quite decieving as the box just states that it is "Battlestar Galactica - Season 4", it does not say part one! i think this is sly of them as we know they are going to at some point release part two, but some people who do not follow the show much would just assume that it is the full season they are getting for their 40 pound! (for some reason the pound sign always causes me to get the "Your HTML is not well-formed messege" hmmm)

djariya

[3]Jan 5, 2009
    40 pounds in the UK is about $70 USD. That is indeed a rip-off for only 10 epsisodes.

BTW, even though this set is only 10 episodes, there is over 10 hours of bonus material with commentaries, behind the scenes stuff, the webisodes and the Razor 2 hour movie. I think if your a Battlestar fan and enjoy bonus material, then I think this set is worth the money. I just don't get why alot of people use episode numbers in deciding if the price is worth it. A cable show like The Shield is only 10-13 episodes a season and I have never read any online complaints that those sets were a rip-off. Same with a show like Nip/Tuck or The Closer.

scififan12921

[4]Jan 5, 2009
    • level: 6
    absolutely going to pick it up. Rewatching everything now so when 1/16 hits all info will be fresh in my mind. I also love the extra features they put in, makes it worth the cash.

tripping82

[5]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 14
    I'm contemplating buying it only because it's not in high def. As I now only buy BluRay DVDs I'd almost rather save my money for when it's (eventually) released on BluRay.

crashingdoors

[6]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 13

I've been thinking about it. Intially, I was just going to wait for a price-drop because I'm only up to season 3 episode 7 (I just got into the show recently). Best Buy's weekly ad has a special edition season 4.0 though and now I'm thinking of getting that before they sell out--I can never gauge how long these limited sets will last. Tuition is due though and I've been trying not to spend money on anything. AGH.

Anyway, I'll probably wait at least until after I pay my tuition and books.

CaptainHarkness

[7]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 23
    I'm going to wait until the price drops. Plus I want to get the other seasons first. There is a season 4 steelbook coming out in Canada that looks really nice.

scififan12921

[8]Jan 8, 2009
    • level: 6
    picked it up Tuesday and watched it already. I'm going back and listening to podcasts and commentaries now. Seven days is a LONG time.

djariya

[9]Jan 8, 2009
    Picked up the set today at Best Buy for $31.99. I decided to pass on the Exclusive gift set with the book and dog tags, which I don't need.

One thing I can definitely say is Universal does a solid job with these season sets. Lots of great bonus material.

Idbeolderifiwas

[10]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 20
    CaptainHarkness wrote:
    I'm going to wait until the price drops. Plus I want to get the other seasons first. There is a season 4 steelbook coming out in Canada that looks really nice.

I contemplated getting the Steelbook for Season 3, but I decided against it because the normal edition looks like the past seasons I own, which look oh so beautiful all together.

zukiki

[11]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 10

yeah, don't get the steelcase from futureshop, it sounds cooler than it is. I did that for season 3 I think, and regretted it. It's not horrible or anything, but the insides are a lot more flimsier (I need to go check it out again for more specifics, all I can remeber right now is not liking it).

Keep you're sets consistant, you don't need half a season in steel while the rest is in cardboard =P

123home123

[12]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 55
    I recorded all the episodes on my DVR. Since I'm short on cash at the moment, I'll just wait to see if they ever release a real complete Season 4 DVD set. I already have the Razor DVD so that isn't a selling point for me. I don't usually watch too many of the extra features on the DVDs. (I don't watch extra features on most DVDs in general.)

psychickiller

[13]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 9
    I don't have any of the DVDs, so I might wait until there's a complete set of the whole series.

Jeric-Ho

[14]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 34
    djariya wrote:
    A cable show like The Shield is only 10-13 episodes a season and I have never read any online complaints that those sets were a rip-off. Same with a show like Nip/Tuck or The Closer.

Yeah but my point is, is that the boxed set is expensive for only half a season, whereas with The Shield, Nip/Tuck e.t.c they are sold as complete seasons, not halfs.

If the Season 4 part one set dropped down in price then i would consider buying it.

Idbeolderifiwas

[15]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 20
    I found it at Wal-mart in Canada for about 34.99 today. Best price I could find between there, HMV, and Futureshop.

Superlink517

[16]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 2
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    CaptainHarkness wrote:

I contemplated getting the Steelbook for Season 3, but I decided against it because the normal edition looks like the past seasons I own, which look oh so beautiful all together.

Haha yeeah same here. I just picked up Season 4.0 today. I might have gotten the special box set, but 1. they didn't have it, and said they never actually got it (friggin lame) and 2. I like having all the boxes match. If inside the big box they had the regular season 4 and the dog tags and book, I MIGHT have thought about it.

Kondix

[17]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 11
    Any extended versions in these sets?

zukiki

[18]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 10
    No Extended episodes this time around; Every episode has deleted scenes and a podcast or commentary, and special features are David Eick's Video Blogs, a couple behind the scenes stuff, caprica trailer and a skit about Bear McCreary and the music of the show which includes the writers and actors which is too funny. Even if you're not into special features that much, I recommend watching it.

kingrich06

[19]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 14
    I am waiting when it gets to the 20$ area

my1sunshine

[20]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 12

zukiki wrote:
    No Extended episodes this time around; Every episode has deleted scenes and a podcast or commentary, and special features are David Eick's Video Blogs, a couple behind the scenes stuff, caprica trailer and a skit about Bear McCreary and the music of the show which includes the writers and actors which is too funny. Even if you're not into special features that much, I recommend watching it.

I am definately into the special features. I have this thing about recording the eps on VHS, and putting the deleted scenes back in. It's interesting because so many of the deleted scenes were definately filmed with the intent of using them in the show. As such, they can often add to the charachter, scene, and plot.. but have to be cut for time or pace reasons, but they're really good! And it's interesting to see how the episode would have looked with the footage re-intergrated. " Kobol's Last Gleaming Pt 1", for example ran almost 90 mins with deleted scenes put back in. I wrote a review on it explaining how the scenes fit into each other. I can't wait to see the deleteds on 4.0.