Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Athena; Can/Will she turn?

Do you think it's possible for a switch to go off in Athena

my1sunshine

[1]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 12

I've been thinking about this for a while now.. questions about the eights, and how things work with them.

Do you think it's possible for a switch to go off in Athena.. our trusted Colonial soldier.. and turn her into a raging death squad against her "friends".

Several things have brought this (maybe) story twist to my brain.

1. In the miniseries.. when the other models greet the eight at the end.. you hear a Six say the words.. " By your command".

2. How in the world does the Athena model have Boomer's memories? She wasn't actually ever on the Galactica, until she returned from Caprica with Helo. But she remembers everything from life on Galactica. How? She's been accused of beaming info to the other Cylons, and repeatedly said "It dosen't work that way!"

3. The Six tells Baltar of Sharon " She can't be stopped. She's a Cylon. The model is weak. Confused. But in the end.. she'll carry out her mission. " Now, of course we could be talking about Adama's shooting... but...

4. While Athena was on Kobol with Laura and the others, Adama goes to Boomer's body in the morgue. He looks at it and asks simply.. "Why?"

On the surface, later, he attacks Athena, choking her. She says to him " And you ask, why? ".. Huh? How did she know that?

Somethin is weird with these Eights.

5. Boomer. Our Boomer hooked up with Cavill. This was the same Boomer from Galactica . The same Boomer who anguished after she shot the old man. I think the Eights.. any eight.. are Cavill's toys.

6. Athena repeatedly states how well she knows how duplistic her people can be. How they seek out emotional weaknesses to exploit. Wouldn't Sharon be Cavills biggest weapon. She's deep in the heart of Galactica. There's no one who doesn't trust her by now, evenafter the coup. Took her a long time, but she got their trust, and the guard's down. I hear the sound of two rounds going off.

7. The vision of Hera in the Opera house. The President and Athena are at opposite sides of the balcony halls. Baltar and Six are trying to save Hera, and Athena is chasing them. Why are they trying to protect Hera, and from what? It never occured to us, it may be from her own mother.

8. What? You thought this would end on any other number? Lol! What the other Eight did to Geata on New Caprica.. and on the Raptor. " It's war".. she said.

Hmm.

Tommorrow she will be tried for treason. If I'm right, we'll find out soon enough.

Edited on 02/26/2009 10:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kondix

[2]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 11
    Well, it IS possible of course... but now we have Boomer on trial... not Athena... I think this episode will focus mainly on Boomer... although id like to have more Athena lately...

Although it might be not bad material for a twist, i guess it is not something I really feel the need to speculate about. In my believe she made up her mind and she has no secret programming, she was prepared for a completely diffrent mission - one that actually is in line with what Ellen wants for the future of the Cylons (the blending of the species).
    What I don't believe anymore, is the fact that Cavil tried to advance biological procreation, I think he was actually against it, but he could not show his opinion public, for the other models would have opossed him. Regarding Boomers programming:
    Once is enough, doing so the second time would be repetetive...

scififan12921

[3]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 6
    I think anything is possible with the Eights. You're right-of all the models their behavior has been the least consistant. If Cavil puts her in a spot between choosing Hera or betraying the fleet I believe she'll betray the fleet. She had no problem forgetting she was an officer when she shot Natalie-her concern for Hera pretty much blocked all of that out. However as far as a weapon Cavil can count on, I think he sent Boomer to take Ellen to the fleet. I think he wants the five with the fleet so he can get his vengance on all those he hates at one time.

my1sunshine

[4]Feb 27, 2009

Kondix wrote:
    Well, it IS possible of course... but now we have Boomer on trial... not Athena... I think this episode will focus mainly on Boomer... although id like to have more Athena lately... Although it might be not bad material for a twist, i guess it is not something I really feel the need to speculate about. In my believe she made up her mind and she has no secret programming, she was prepared for a completely diffrent mission - one that actually is in line with what Ellen wants for the future of the Cylons (the blending of the species). What I don't believe anymore, is the fact that Cavil tried to advance biological procreation, I think he was actually against it, but he could not show his opinion public, for the other models would have opossed him. Regarding Boomers programming: Once is enough, doing so the second time would be repetetive...

Ooops. Yeah. It is Boomer on trial. Sorry. And I know it's a little late in the show for this kind of speculation. But, I thought it would be a twist that not many of the fans are expectinging at this point.. like Earth being nuked.

MrBovineOrdure

[5]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 6

Well, we were introduced to her in the first season. The 7 cylons wanted to use her to start a basic family on the nuked out Caprica with Helo. They implemented several mind games there with her until she decided to go with the Colonial fleet and ultimately vow her service to the colonials.

When you're dealing with the fact that Cylons can be made with hidden traps, it makes everything they say suspect. It's sort of like several presidents elected during my lifetime. I don't care what they say when it's demonstrated that they lie. That's the nature of lieing. With real people we have only their known history to judge if they're likely to be telling the truth.

With Cylons, there's NO such ruler to measure honesty by,

That's the problem when you introduce sleeper-agent type rules into the story.

For my money, I hope they don't make Athena into yet another plot twist. They did it before, no real reason to do it again.

Mr BO

my1sunshine

[6]Feb 27, 2009
    Given the events of tonights episode, I no longer think this story twist very likely.

martymcflyjb

[7]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 10
    But in a roundabout way, you weren't that far off...

aidorrocks

[8]Mar 10, 2009
    i replied no way, butthen read your post & now i'm confused!

simpleton7

[9]Mar 17, 2009
    I think the skin-job cylons are ultimately too complex for one rule to override their entire reasoning.