Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Blame the Pregnancy.

FrakkingFrakker

[1]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 28
    Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't seem to have all the detailed information that some of you are privy to...

Is it possible that all these leaps in time, the lack in cohesion of the last few episodes, actually has something to do with speeding things along to get to the birth of the cylon baby?

I think I read somewhere they wanted the baby born by the end of the second season. So the span of the season would need to be (I'm assuming) 9 months-barring any gestation inflation or deflation due to the hybrid status.

We're used to the show moving at a snail's pace almost making everything urgent...and now we're speeding up time to get to the baby's birth?

This dawned on me, as I writing a post a few minutes ago. I Thought there was no re-set button on this show. Lee has suffered from a horrible gun-shot wound and near death episode in Sacrifice (sorry if that counts as a spoiler.)...but in the previews for Captain's Hand he is clearly on the bridge of the pegasus back in active duty.

And I can go back to the enormous time gap between any of the last few episodes...is this all due to the pregnancy?

I don't think there is necessarily anything major wrong with any of the last four eps (maybe) except they all seem to come out of the blue. There is no build of momentum. Is this because they're hopping around and jumping weeks at a time to get Sharon to the popping point?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heavensblade

[2]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 8
    Actually that's a very good reason for the way this season has been moving along. I didn't realise that the birth would occur this season but it makes sense that it does and it explains the huge timelapse between episodes.

However, since there has never been a human/cylon hybrid birth before they could have changed the gestation period and allow the same pacing between episodes as last season (which imo is ideal for a show like BSG) The current pacing between episode gives the feeling that we're missing huge chunks of the story.

FrakkingFrakker

[3]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 28
    That's my point exactly. We're missing huge chunks...and I've said that since epiphanies.

monster_monster

[4]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 35
    Thank you both for your posts on this. I've been thinking of how I don't like the gap, but your theories would explain alot.

123home123

[5]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 55
    I don't think they would have to speed up the timeline because of the pregnancy. Ronald Moore has said that if he has a choice between technical correctness and dramatic flow, he will choose the storyline everytime. The writers could make up any gestation period they want, since there are no guidelines for how long a Cylon remains pregnant. There are numerous sci-fi shows and episodes with alien pregnancies that last a day or two, so at least there is "sci-fi" precedent for having a brief pregnancy.

The point about the time lapses over the last few episodes is a valid one. I haven't listened to Moore's recent commentaries (which are available for free at SciFi.com). Maybe he explains it there.

monster_monster

[6]Feb 14, 2006
    • level: 35
    I haven't listened to a podcast of his since 'Black Market'.. He didn't mention anything about it there. I may stop by to listen to more of his pod casts when I get the time.

Hmm... 123home, I had finally managed to kling on to this explanation presented here

Oh, well. I know there have to be a good reason. I try to stay away from spoilers, and I won't complain too much about those latest episodes, atleast not until the end of the season. I hope the reason will be aperant until then, what ever it is.